Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "We don't tip black people'?? Why only finding in BBC news?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    I also tip the Commissary baggers a minimum of $3 unless I am going through the express line...then it's $1.
    I do a minimum $3 at the commissary, too. Though, usually I go through self-service and don't use the bagger.

My wife does the major shopping...I only go when we need a thing or two on my way home from work.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Damn...a dollar a tooth is the going rate these days? I remember a quarter (though that was more than a few years ago).
    Her cousins' get $5 ... that is a lot for a mouth full of teeth.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    Her cousins' get $5 ... that is a lot for a mouth full of teeth.
    Children have one set of 20 baby (primary) teeth used in early development. These are generally replaced by a second set of 32 larger permanent teeth. By the age of 6-10 months most infants cut their first tooth. By 10 months to 3 years, infants, toddlers and preschoolers continue to get their lower, then upper primary teeth starting in the center of the mouth and working backwards. By 3 years of age, most of a child's 20 primary teeth are in. By the age of 5-6 years children begin to shed their primary teeth and permanent teeth begin to erupt. By 12-13 years, most baby teeth have been shed and almost all permanent teeth are in.

http://www.tfairy.com/factsFAQ.html
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I almost always tip a minimum of $3 (on small tabs under $15) and 15%-20% (also rounding), except in extreme cases (maybe once or twice in my adult life). The majority of the time it's not the wait staff that's screwing up...the screw ups happen in the kitchen and the waiters have no control. The only times I haven't tipped was when I ended up never seeing my waitress (for refills) in an almost empty restaurant when I could see the entire wait staff standing around BSing with nothing else to do.

I also tip the Commissary baggers a minimum of $3 unless I am going through the express line...then it's $1.
    What about getting take-out?

I used to never tip for take-out...but now a lot of the places have the little kiosk or tablets to check you out and it automatically pops up with "How much tip?" you wanna do...so it feels more lame to actually put zero rather than just not tipping...

If you're not getting table service, I don't think a tip is really customary though.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    What about getting take-out?

I used to never tip for take-out...but now a lot of the places have the little kiosk or tablets to check you out and it automatically pops up with "How much tip?" you wanna do...so it feels more lame to actually put zero rather than just not tipping...

If you're not getting table service, I don't think a tip is really customary though.
    Ummm...no...not that I can think of. I can't remember the last time I had take-out, though.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Germans, by and large, do not tip. In Germany, I mean....it's not customary there.

When they do, it's just like a quarter or .50...small change.

Oh, and if you ever do go to Germany...it is rude to leave the tip on the table...you are supposed to hand it directly to the person.

Leaving it on the table leaves them to pick it up as if they are scrapping crumbs...and is considered demeaning. Although, they are understanding of American customs, so you won't get any flack.
    Hell, i know some countrys its actually verboten to even LEAVE a tip.. as its seen as an insult (like you are saying to the wait staff/cooks you suck so here's a little extra since you won't be in this job long)..

I don't believe in NOT tipping here in the U.S. That is the cost of the service...you ordered the service, you must pay for it.

You have discretion as to how much...but, I think 15% is an absolute minimum, and is no different than the check itself...you have to pay it, you ordered it, you pay it. I

f you don't like the food or service, you simply don't go back again, but not paying for it this time when you did get service and food is not cool...it would be equally wrong to say, "I didn't like the food, so instead of paying the 19.95, I'm only going to pay $12.50. A 15% minimum tip is understood, customary and part of the wait staff's pay.

...I generally tip 20% and then round up to the nearest dollar.
    I disagree with that "you have to tip or else" sort of mentality. Imo its what has led to make some areas make tiping not just mandatory but "already included on your bill, whether you wanna tip or not"..

And in ALL of those places the level of service i have received (well here in the states at least) has MOST DEFINITELY been sub-par in comparison to places where 'tips are not automatically included'.
    And also to me, NOT tipping is NOT the same as 'skipping out in paying some of the bill;.
    If my order came say to 24.14, and i pay that 24.14, i have paid my bill in full. Tip is just extra...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    I saw this, while going through the news from bbc.co.uk to see if there was anything on a potential new truck attack in italy..
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38561883

Apparently in Virginia, a black waitress at a restaurant was in tears after seeing a note scrawled on the receipt she got back from the customers saying "Great service, we don't tip black people"..

Most of the workers i know in food service, say they get THAT sort of attitude FROM blacks, not to black wait staff..
    So who else here has heard of this???
    Not that BBC is very reliable; however, I tip based on service and service only--not color. This crap is ridonkulous!!! This is an isolated incident. Likewise, whose to say she isn't the one that scrawled the note herself in an attmpt to draw attention. Sort of like Bethany Storro: http://abcnews.go.com/US/acid-attack...ry?id=11658631

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaLawyer View Post
    Not that BBC is very reliable; however, I tip based on service and service only--not color. This crap is ridonkulous!!! This is an isolated incident. Likewise, whose to say she isn't the one that scrawled the note herself in an attmpt to draw attention. Sort of like Bethany Storro: http://abcnews.go.com/US/acid-attack...ry?id=11658631
    After seeing all the fakers, making 'racist threats' etc, during the run up to trump's election, i was also thinking she might have done it herself..

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    King Day parade turns violent when 8 shot in Miami

A national holiday celebrating nonviolence and Martin Luther King Jr. erupted into mayhem when eight people were shot at a park named after the slain civil rights leader.

http://www.fox13news.com/news/florid...29563740-story
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 01-17-2017 at 08:40 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Hell, i know some countrys its actually verboten to even LEAVE a tip.. as its seen as an insult (like you are saying to the wait staff/cooks you suck so here's a little extra since you won't be in this job long)..

I disagree with that "you have to tip or else" sort of mentality. Imo its what has led to make some areas make tiping not just mandatory but "already included on your bill, whether you wanna tip or not"..
    I usually see that only when it's a very large group or at a fancy kind of place...

And in ALL of those places the level of service i have received (well here in the states at least) has MOST DEFINITELY been sub-par in comparison to places where 'tips are not automatically included'.
    I don't believe that.

Of course, this is your unique experience, so it can't be proven false or anything...but I don't think automatic tips always result in sub-par service. I certainly have never experienced that as most places with automatic tips are either high-price fancy dining or large groups...

And also to me, NOT tipping is NOT the same as 'skipping out in paying some of the bill;.
    If my order came say to 24.14, and i pay that 24.14, i have paid my bill in full. Tip is just extra...
    I disagree. A tip is an understood payment for service. It may not be legally enforceable, but it is expected...in some places, the wait staff make less than minimum wage in salary because of the expectation of tips.

On a side note...I was at a restaurant this weekend with a large group of friends...and the waiter took food and drink orders to 20 people without writing it down. He had like a freakish photographic memory or something...neat trick.
    The Voice of Reason