Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trump, Russian Hacking, Election etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Trump, Russian Hacking, Election etc.

Director of National Intelligence Clapper and the Commander of USCYBERCOM / Director of NSA Adm Rogers testified before the Senate Armed Service Committee on Friday about the recent Russian malicious cyber activity (GRIZZLY STEPPE) related to the 2016 election.

The report from DHS / FBI is here: https://www.us-cert.gov/sites/defaul...-2016-1229.pdf

A couple of things on this:

-DJT won the 2016 election (fair & square).
    -Someone hacked into the emails of the DNC, looks pretty convincing that it was Russian state cyber actors.
    -Someone also hacked into John Podesta's personal email account. No evidence who did this.

So, in the last couple of months since the election, DJT has modified his comments on the issue. First saying that the Russians didn't do it, now saying that the email release didn't matter while his incoming Chief of Staff says that DJT accepts the IC reporting (but that DJT won't acknowledge publicly). This to an extent makes sense, while there is no way to prove if the emails influenced (sufficient enough)voters to modify the outcome of the election, any suggestion that it did de-legitimizes DJT's victory so DJT can't really acknowledge it.

I understand the political necessity to not acknowledge the potential for influence, but I think ignoring the fact that Russia conducted an information influence campaign on one of our two major political parties during a Presidential election bothersome ... doing nothing is emboldening.

I do find it interesting that the DNC is more focused on the actual hacking than responding to legitimate criticism about the content of the emails, which show pretty significant issues within the DNC:

-that policy staff acknowledged there was no way to vet all Syrian & other foreign refugees.
    -collusion between DNC leadership and the Clinton campaign against Bernie Sanders
    -that HRCs statements to Goldman Sachs and answers in the debates showed differing thoughts on the effectiveness of no-fly zones.
    -that Clinton Foundation donors are primarily foreign.
    -that Clinton Foundation donors seemed to be involved in a pay-for-play scheme.
    -HRC was very ... VERY friendly with Wall Street.
    -collusion between the Clinton campaign and Facebook on gender outreach research.
    -differences between HRC's public statements and private speeches on open trade and borders.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    I do find it interesting that the DNC is more focused on the actual hacking than responding to legitimate criticism about the content of the emails, which show pretty significant issues within the DNC:

-that policy staff acknowledged there was no way to vet all Syrian & other foreign refugees.
    -collusion between DNC leadership and the Clinton campaign against Bernie Sanders
    -that HRCs statements to Goldman Sachs and answers in the debates showed differing thoughts on the effectiveness of no-fly zones.
    -that Clinton Foundation donors are primarily foreign.
    -that Clinton Foundation donors seemed to be involved in a pay-for-play scheme.
    -HRC was very ... VERY friendly with Wall Street.
    -collusion between the Clinton campaign and Facebook on gender outreach research.
    -differences between HRC's public statements and private speeches on open trade and borders.
    Agreed. The whole outrage is their way to avoid the discussion about the contents of the emails. All the left wants to talk about the hack and how it influenced the election. I can't believe that any Clinton supporter would suddenly change camps to Trump based on the content of the emails anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    I agree as we.. The longer they keep everyone's attention on the leaks/hacks, the LESS time they have to worry about people even talking about the content.. IMO many of it damning to hillary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This just doesn't end.

Wall Street Journal: https://www.wsj.com/articles/mike-fl...12959?mod=e2fb

Now, I would say if LTG Flynn is going to testify, he should only do so with immunity ... not doing so would be stupid ... that said:

-Flynn likely committed a crime, he failed to register as an agent of a foreign power, which as an officer collecting retainer (retirement) pay, is law. He may be trying to dodge this crime alone.
    -Flynn may also have information about the Russian's wider op to influence the election. I am sure FBI will want something from him before they deal.
    -That said, remember "In a 2016 interview on NBC's "Meet the Press," Michael Flynn said "When you are given immunity ... you probably committed a crime."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This just doesn't end.

Wall Street Journal: https://www.wsj.com/articles/mike-fl...12959?mod=e2fb

Now, I would say if LTG Flynn is going to testify, he should only do so with immunity ... not doing so would be stupid ... that said:

-Flynn likely committed a crime, he failed to register as an agent of a foreign power, which as an officer collecting retainer (retirement) pay, is law. He may be trying to dodge this crime alone.
    -Flynn may also have information about the Russian's wider op to influence the election. I am sure FBI will want something from him before they deal.
    -That said, remember "In a 2016 interview on NBC's "Meet the Press," Michael Flynn said "When you are given immunity ... you probably committed a crime."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Full text of the lawyer's statement.

Counsel to Lt. General Mike Flynn (Retired)

General Flynn certainly has a story to tell, and he very much wants to tell it, should the circumstances permit.

Out of respect for the Committees, we will not comment right now on the details of discussions between counsel for General Flynn and the House and Senate Intelligence Committees, other than to confirm that those discussions have taken place. But it is important to acknowledge the circumstances in which those discussions are occurring.

General Flynn is a highly decorated 33-year veteran of the U.S. Army. He devoted most of his life to serving his country, spending many years away from his family fighting this nation's battles around the world. He was awarded four Bronze Stars for actions in Iraq, Afghanistan and elsewhere in the war on terror. He received the Legion of Merit twice, and the Defense Superior Service Medal four times. He is a recipient of the Defense Department's Distinguished Service Award and the Intelligence Community Gold Seal Medallion for Distinguished Service, as well as numerous other decorations.

Notwithstanding his life of national service, the media are awash with unfounded allegations, outrageous claims of treason, and vicious innuendo directed against him. He is now the target of unsubstantiated public demands by Members of Congress and other political critics that he be criminally investigated. No reasonable person, who has the benefit of advice from counsel, would submit to questioning in such a highly politicized, witch hunt environment without assurances against unfair prosecution.

https://i.redd.it/27pfm8cdtmoy.jpg
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 03-31-2017 at 05:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Flynn likely committed a crime, he failed to register as an agent of a foreign power, which as an officer collecting retainer (retirement) pay, is law. He may be trying to dodge this crime alone.
    Do you happen to know which foreign power General Flynn or his firm (Flynn Intel Group) received payment from, when he " likely committed a crime"?

I would say if LTG Flynn is going to testify, he should only do so with immunity ... not doing so would be stupid
    Agreed.

But, I'll go out on a limb & predict that they're not going to EVER call him to testify.... because then he'd get on the record and blow up their whole "Russian hacking cost Hillary the election" narrative.

. I am sure FBI will want something from him before they deal.
    Where does it say anything (in the above statement) about General Flynn formally requesting immunity or anything about the FBI?

- He also said in 2016 “If I did a tenth of what she did, I would be in jail today." Seems to be quite accurate...... Either way..... I'd love to see him testify (with or without immunity) and hear what he has to say.

I'd suspect General Flynn has the goods on a lot of the corrupt Deep-State Dem operatives
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 03-31-2017 at 05:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    Do you happen to know which foreign power General Flynn or his firm (Flynn Intel Group) received payment from, when he " likely committed a crime"?
    Turkey. An officer drawing retainer pay is required to register as an agent of a foreign government if receiving pay from a foreign government. LTG Flynn failed to do so until approx. 7 months after the fact.

Where does it say anything (in the above statement) about General Flynn formally requesting immunity or anything about the FBI?
    It doesn't, it is speculation on my part that Flynn may not be the biggest fish they want to fry in this.

I'd suspect General Flynn has the goods on a lot of the corrupt Deep-State Dem operatives
    He may, that doesn't negate that he likely violated the law regarding the 'registering as a foreign agent' issue, he wasn't forthcoming with his boss ... the PEOTUS & then POTUS and based on his statement that -- paraphrasing -- you don't take immunity unless you committed a crime ... at least from an optics perspective looks to be coming back to haunt him.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Turkey. An officer drawing retainer pay is required to register as an agent of a foreign government if receiving pay from a foreign government. LTG Flynn failed to do so until approx. 7 months after the fact.

It doesn't, it is speculation on my part that Flynn may not be the biggest fish they want to fry in this.

He may, that doesn't negate that he likely violated the law regarding the 'registering as a foreign agent' issue, he wasn't forthcoming with his boss ... the PEOTUS & then POTUS and based on his statement that -- paraphrasing -- you don't take immunity unless you committed a crime ... at least from an optics perspective looks to be coming back to haunt him.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Full text of the lawyer's statement.
    It is a good statement ...

General Flynn certainly has a story to tell, and he very much wants to tell it, should the circumstances permit. [/quote

Out of respect for the Committees, we will not comment right now on the details of discussions between counsel for General Flynn and the House and Senate Intelligence Committees, other than to confirm that those discussions have taken place. But it is important to acknowledge the circumstances in which those discussions are occurring.
    Acknowledges discussions.

General Flynn is a highly decorated 33-year veteran of the U.S. Army. He devoted most of his life to serving his country, spending many years away from his family fighting this nation's battles around the world. He was awarded four Bronze Stars for actions in Iraq, Afghanistan and elsewhere in the war on terror. He received the Legion of Merit twice, and the Defense Superior Service Medal four times. He is a recipient of the Defense Department's Distinguished Service Award and the Intelligence Community Gold Seal Medallion for Distinguished Service, as well as numerous other decorations.
    Fluff and not related to the issue at hand. My only issue here is semantics, LTG Flynn has 4 Bronze Stars for meritorious service in various areas ... not for actions (which generally refers to combat actions) -- he has never been decorated for combat.

Notwithstanding his life of national service, the media are awash with unfounded allegations, outrageous claims of treason, and vicious innuendo directed against him. He is now the target of unsubstantiated public demands by Members of Congress and other political critics that he be criminally investigated. No reasonable person, who has the benefit of advice from counsel, would submit to questioning in such a highly politicized, witch hunt environment without assurances against unfair prosecution.
    Lawyerly advice, good advice ... but again ... "When you are given immunity ... you probably committed a crime." ... would the same hold true for a highly principled man ... do you only agree to testify if you are granted immunity? It is a catch 22 ...