Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: BAH Going Away?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Very impressive, but I'm well aware of your resume...you do enjoy sharing it.
    Just offering examples.

I can show you several EPRs for E4s and E5s that would far exceed those numbers...
    I am sure those folks are running around out there. I don't think that would be the norm.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    No, I am sincerely trying to communicate with you. I don't consider you my subordinate ...
    Well, then...Steve will work fine.

I would offer -- you picked the USAF because it most matched what you wanted / your personality. My opinion is that the Air Force is the most corporate of the military services ... not saying it is wrong or bad ... but it is what is.
    It's actually something that we (when I joined) took pride in until certain leaders wanted to pretend we were "warriors".

Advancement in that type of system requires some level of a corporate mindset; something you readily admit you don't have/want to have ... not saying that as a negative. Having been in the Marines (the least corporate IMO) and now the Navy, leadership is very different ... how you advance and / succeed is different ... but to advance there are still sacrifices and things you have to do
    You should sit through a few days of the Air Force PME and see what they teach is the right way to lead...you'd have a good chuckle, I'm sure.

If they fuck up Logan I am seriously going to burn the theater down.
    Wish they could make it true to the original but that's impossible with Fox/Marvel/etc...so we'll see how it goes. I have high hopes.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

I am sure those folks are running around out there. I don't think that would be the norm.
    No...that was actually a shot I was taking at the Air Force appraisal system, designed by our fabulous leadership with their great ideas about how to get people to perform. It's the reason our enlisted senior leadership has turned out to be as it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    No...that was actually a shot I was taking at the Air Force appraisal system, designed by our fabulous leadership with their great ideas about how to get people to perform. It's the reason our enlisted senior leadership has turned out to be as it is.
    In many cases the Navy's is no better. If every year folks really created 75% improvement in [pick a process] after a couple of years we should be running like clockwork.

In all seriousness, I have known E4's, 5's 6's that had jobs with significant responsibilities ... way beyond what would be normal for their pay grade ... At CYBERCOM I pushed and pushed to get my TSgt a DMSM since I 'picked him' to replace an O3 was doing the work exceptionally well. It took me waiting around to talk to the 2-star for about 90 minutes and make my case as he walked from one meeting to another ... it worked ... damn good NCO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, then...Steve will work fine.
    k ... mine is James ... my middle name is Lars (practically a viking).

It's actually something that we (when I joined) took pride in until certain leaders wanted to pretend we were "warriors".
    I will agree with you here. I don't like the assumption that we are all 'warriors'. I don't use the term as many in my community do and say 'Intel Warriors' or 'Cryptologic Warriors' because (resume alert) I have been a warrior when I was enlisted. I think it is a false representation of the role I do now (support) and I don't have a problem being a support person, leading support people.

You should sit through a few days of the Air Force PME and see what they teach is the right way to lead...you'd have a good chuckle, I'm sure.
    I did (sorta) at CYBERCOM (joint -- but really ran by the USAF) when I checked in and they had the FGO portion ... it was a hoot. Again though ... a lot of it I don't think is 'wrong' per se ... just not what I am used to and definitely wouldn't work in most of the environments I have been in ... no more so than my leadership style (especially as a SNCO) would work well in most USAF environments.

Wish they could make it true to the original but that's impossible with Fox/Marvel/etc...so we'll see how it goes. I have high hopes.
    Me too ... I think the Professor is going to die ... #sadface

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    It's actually something that we (when I joined) took pride in until certain leaders wanted to pretend we were "warriors"..
    Funny...I was just remembering the other day how our old PFE book back in the 80s and maybe 90s used to actually say in it that the Air Force deliberately chose to focus on technical skills and de-emphasize traditional military training like marching and PT, etc.

I think it changed because our leadership had deployment/killing bad guys envy....they were a little embarrassed by the other services serving this high deployment ops tempo and making cool videos while we were still at a low percentage of people who even got to deploy.

...perhaps moreso they wanted to protect the budget by showing 'we do just as much" and how military we can be....high tech jet fighters weren't as bad-ass cool as kicking down doors because we had no competition.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    ...perhaps moreso they wanted to protect the budget by showing 'we do just as much" and how military we can be....high tech jet fighters weren't as bad-ass cool as kicking down doors because we had no competition.
    You may be closer than you think here.

When OEF kicked off, CENTCOM put in requirements for various types of support (airborne ISR, CAS etc.). The Air Force was not able to meet what the commander needed despite 'advertised' capabilities / response timelines etc. This led to a lot of these missions going to other services platforms. As Appropriations Bills and OCO funding in subsequent years rolled out, the expeditionary capabilities got bigger and bigger pieces of that budgetary pie.

How did that play into the bigger picture? IMO, that may have prompted senior USAF leadership to shift culture to preserve budget levels. The USAF had spent 50 years planning for an air to air war that didn't happen and the type of fight that did come up they weren't really ready to support.

In many sections of DoD we found ourselves needing more expeditionary platforms and capability than had been planned for and we had to rapidly change. Being able to provide a 90% solution that could be on station 60% of the time and able to be in theater three months from now lost out to the 70% solution that could be on station 90% of the time and could be in theater in two weeks ... not being useful to the current problem makes you irrelivent... and that does not get you funding.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    As Appropriations Bills and OCO funding in subsequent years rolled out, the expeditionary capabilities got bigger and bigger pieces of that budgetary pie.
    The services have been deliberately hamstrung by the Congress indefinitely continuing supplemental (emergency) funding, instead of increasing the base. Because you can't buy end-strength with those $ and they're fenced in a way which forces you to rely on contractors. And so here we are now going on 16 years post 9-11& a lot of the underlying issues you raised still remain and they're all still completely dependent on outsourcing what should be by now core-capabilities to defense contractors

The USAF had spent 50 years planning for an air to air war that didn't happen
    Were you sleeping under a fucking rock in Saudi Arabia during the first 3 phases of Desert Storm or something? FYI, The reason US ground forces didn't encounter a blood-bath during OIF invasion is because the Iraqi Army had already been crippled by the USAF a decade prior

http://es.rice.edu/projects/Poli378/Gulf/gwtxt_ch6.html

and the type of fight that did come up they weren't really ready to support
    The problem is not unique to the Air Force. None of the services were really built to fight a never ending counter insurgency (that the criminal political establishment had no plans of ever actually winning).

... not being useful to the current problem makes you irrelivent...
    The Air Force is irrelevant. Sure. Try fulfilling the Neocon wet-dream of invading Syria without being able to impose Hillary's and John McInsane's No-fly zone because you lack Air Superiority and see how that works out for you.

You can't do shit without it. It's The first core mission.

https://www.google.com/#q=core+air+force+missions
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 01-06-2017 at 04:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    The services have been deliberately hamstrung by the Congress indefinitely continuing supplemental (emergency) funding, instead of increasing the base. Because you can't buy end-strength with those $ and they're fenced in a way which forces you to rely on contractors. And so here we are now going on 16 years post 9-11& a lot of the underlying issues you raised still remain and they're all still completely dependent on outsourcing what should be by now core-capabilities to defense contractors.
    The missions I am talking about didn't go to contractors, they went mostly to the USN & USMC.

Were you sleeping under a fucking rock in Saudi Arabia during the first 3 phases of Desert Storm or something? FYI, The reason US ground forces didn't encounter a blood-bath during OIF invasion is because the Iraqi Army had already been crippled by the USAF a decade prior

http://es.rice.edu/projects/Poli378/Gulf/gwtxt_ch6.html
    Am talking OEF (Afghanistan) ... Desert Storm was different and closer to the 'Air War in Europe' model than OEF. During Desert Storm air assets could base out of fairly established operating bases etc. which allowed them significant time on station etc. Also, the build up (Desert Shield) prior to Desert Storm was much longer than what we had for OEF. When CENTCOM got told that because of transit time (impacted by inability to operate from expeditionary air strips) that time on station would get cut short, and that the USAF assets being requested required approx. 90 days to be ready and on site, and the more expeditionary platforms could (were willing) to fly from less developed sites and could mobilize in 14 days ...

The problem is not unique to the Air Force. None of the services were really built to fight a never ending counter insurgency (that the criminal political establishment had no plans of ever actually winning).
    Concur ... I said that none of the service really were.

The Air Force is irrelevant. Sure. Try fulfilling the Neocon wet-dream of invading Syria without being able to impose Hillary's and John McInsane's No-fly zone because you lack Air Superiority and see how that works out for you.

You can't do shit without it. It's The first core mission.
    Not saying the USAF is/was irrelevant overall. Couldn't have gotten a lot of things in theater without them etc. As said earlier, for the actions in (over) the country ... there were specific assets who had been advertising capabilities that when the time came ... they couldn't deliver. That made them (particularly those assets) irrelevant to that mission set ... they lost it and the funding that went along with it.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Concur ... I said that none of the service really were.

Not saying the USAF is/was irrelevant overall. Couldn't have gotten a lot of things in theater without them etc. As said earlier, for the actions in (over) the country ... there were specific assets who had been advertising capabilities that when the time came ... they couldn't deliver. That made them (particularly those assets) irrelevant to that mission set ... they lost it and the funding that went along with it.
    Correct. Desert Shield also started from scratch w/o the level of WRM sites pre-positioned in theater, that were used to stage OEF making force bed-down much much easier. & The invasion phase of OEF-A was almost entirely a SOF mission. So, don't trigger us flyboys with your anti-blue "micro-aggressions". Jim.
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 01-06-2017 at 06:36 PM.