Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 61

Thread: BAH Going Away?

  1. #31
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    And yet, you pretty consistently find ways to bring it up. You at you don't begrudge those people who become SMCOs or Officers, intentionally or not ... you certainly come across that way.
    Spare me. Please read back through this thread and look who brought up rank in the first place. Wasn't me...was Rainmaker talking about how SNCOs/Officers deserved more because they worked harder. So I wasn't the one who brought it up.



    So the only people that aren't are E1 - E6s and O6 and senior ... got it.
    I doubt it.

  2. #32
    Senior Member Bos Mutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,565
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    That's why I like O-6 through O-9s...generally they are done with the bullshit and actually tell you what's on their minds.
    Only because they are usually the ranking person in the room...

    If you wanna see a bunch of sucking up...sit in a meeting chaired by a 2- or 3- star with all Colonel's and 1-stars sitting around the table....
    The Voice of Reason

  3. #33
    Senior Member Rainmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    on a Marl Road
    Posts
    3,883
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Spare me. Please read back through this thread and look who brought up rank in the first place. Wasn't me...was Rainmaker talking about how SNCOs/Officers deserved more because they worked harder. So I wasn't the one who brought it up.
    In which post did I say that?

  4. #34
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    Only because they are usually the ranking person in the room...

    If you wanna see a bunch of sucking up...sit in a meeting chaired by a 2- or 3- star with all Colonel's and 1-stars sitting around the table....
    I imagine it gets pretty crazy. I've never been in a room like that.

    What I do know is that when I've been in a room with an 06 or above I never feel like I'm getting a canned answer. Maybe they're just better at disguising it. Either way, the feeling I get when leaving the room from a briefing with a General is that he actually told me what he believes, not what he's supposed to tell me.

  5. #35
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    In which post did I say that?

    I think it's reasonable to expect that SNCO/Officers, who've dedicated their entire adult lives to service should at least be in the Middle class.
    This was post #14...the first post to separate anything into ranks..ie SNCO/Officer vs everyone else.

  6. #36
    Administrator Mjölnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    2,965
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    Only because they are usually the ranking person in the room...

    If you wanna see a bunch of sucking up...sit in a meeting chaired by a 2- or 3- star with all Colonel's and 1-stars sitting around the table....
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

  7. #37
    Senior Member Rainmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    on a Marl Road
    Posts
    3,883
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    This was post #14...the first post to separate anything into ranks..ie SNCO/Officer vs everyone else.


    So, you don't agree that a SNCO's and Officers should at least be in the middle class (able to afford the median home)?
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 01-04-2017 at 09:56 PM.

  8. #38
    Senior Member Bos Mutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,565
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    I imagine it gets pretty crazy. I've never been in a room like that.

    What I do know is that when I've been in a room with an 06 or above I never feel like I'm getting a canned answer. Maybe they're just better at disguising it. Either way, the feeling I get when leaving the room from a briefing with a General is that he actually told me what he believes, not what he's supposed to tell me.
    Ok, that might be fair.

    Probably getting into what could be a new thread here...the way most SNCOs and really all NCOs are taught is that you disagree behind closed doors...and once you go out, you sell the decision as if it were your own.

    That is not always easy...it wasn't for me. I always felt sort of two competing duties...one to support the commander and another to be genuine and honest with my troops. Those two things did not always line up, I must say.

    I can think up a couple of cases where a senior enlisted person kind of publicly went against the AF direction...

    In one, I remember the MAJCOM Command Chief passing out a little "Chief Thoughts" or whatever about what he called "Transparent Leadership"....which basically amounted to if you had to get your guys to do something sucky or whatever and you gave the reason "...because so-and-so senior leader wants it that way"...that you were a transparent leader...instead of taking leadership and leading the troops to where they needed to go, the leadership passed right through you from the real leader to the troops...something like that.

    The other one was a Chief wrote a Stars and Stripes Opinion article that basically criticized the direction the AF was taking...can't remember if it was PT or something else. Man, that dude got his ass reamed....had a 2-star come to the Chief's Group meeting on top of it and basically tell us all that this guy abused his position and rank...used his influence to sow discord amongst the troops, etc etc. and that a Chief's job is to support not sabotage, etc.

    ...the other side of this coin is that lack of genuineness is noticeable, I'm sure. it can be a tough position...but having every leader running around with their own special opinion on things when senior leadership is trying to get things done is counter-productive as well
    The Voice of Reason

  9. #39
    Administrator Mjölnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    2,965
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Spare me. Please read back through this thread and look who brought up rank in the first place. Wasn't me...was Rainmaker talking about how SNCOs/Officers deserved more because they worked harder. So I wasn't the one who brought it up.
    I didn't get that he was saying they worked harder, but that they had worked hard ...

    I don't take that as a non-SNCO hasn't worked hard ... I think you did. I think at that point in a military career that someone is hitting the 20 year mark, they should be hitting squarely in the middle class area ... granted, some people at that point are going to retire as E6's, some as O5's. Being that I think our current total compensation packages (short of the E9, O9/O10 area) are just about right for the levels of responsibility etc. ... I don't see anything wrong with the O5 having a larger pension than the E6 ... that doesn't mean (no matter how you try to translate it) that I think the E6 didn't work hard nor earn their pension.

    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    I doubt it.
    Do you?


    Sorry for so many typos ... was on the elliptical.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

  10. #40
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    So, you don't agree that a SNCO's and Officers should at least be in the middle class? & nobody said anything about other ranks not working as hard. Stop acting like a whiney bitch.
    E8, E9...sure. E7s are pretty much a floor supervisor...working class...at best. Same goes for O1-O3..no chance...they are apprentice level at best...graduating from college doesn't guarantee middle class and up. So, I disagree highly that SNCOs/Officers should be middle class.

    I'm not acting like a whiney bitch. I AM a whiney bitch. You wouldn't want me any other way.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •