Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: BAH Going Away?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    C'mon ... I have at least 250 square feet just for my books (real and comic) ...
    You joke but there are many who would make that exact argument.

But really, it is time for all people to stop living above their means. Some people in the military do, many do not.
    Take most E7 and below who live off base and tell them they are going to have to live on base in a house the size the military has determined is adequate for them...most are going to laugh in your face because they know that quarters they have off base FAR exceed the standard provided by base housing...a family with one child gets a 2 bedroom house...of base they are living in a 4 bedroom with fenced in yards for what the military is paying them...

Many people devote their whole lives to working hard; what they work hard at doing will likely have drastic differences in how they are compensated for their work though. If someone does the things they need to do to be a SNCO or Officer, promote through those ranks etc. I would not begrudge them the increased compensation that comes with it as opposed to someone to doesn't want to do those things.
    I don't begrudge them, either...they will receive much higher base pay if BAH goes away and can then choose how expensive of a house they live in. Though your standard elitist comment (which you don't even recognize you made) makes it sound like only those who make SNCO or become officers have worked hard.

It is disingenuous to say "I never wanted to be an E7 (or Officer), so I didn't do what would have gotten me promoted", but hold it against those that do.
    I don't hold it against them at all...Commanders need good "yes men" with a lot of stripes in order to get things done...

Probably so. I don't see a new system (single-pay or otherwise) effectively cutting anyone's total compensation package.
    And Mil to Mil would be far better off because they'd both be getting equal compensation.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    I'll take 'Sour Grapes' for $200 Alex!
    The Daily Double is "Superiority Complex" and I'll bet it all, Alex.

Far more $ could be saved by getting serious about Federal Civil service "reform".
    Couldn't agree more. I don't need the government paying in mandatory amounts of money for my retirement or to match my TSP. Let me keep my money, they keep their money, and we're both happy.

It's high time, we get rid of the sweet benefits packages and 75 days a year of sitting on their fat asses at home.
    75 days is pretty sweet, but it's not so much my ass that's gotten fat as it is my stomach. Oh, and which "sweet benefits" package are you talking about? The ones that I turned down because if I didn't I'd be spending my entire military retirement to pay for them?

Of course then we'd have all the entitled affirmative-action, hires going crazy, about losing their guaranteed checks for life (regardless of performance)
    You'll be happy to know that the current appraisal system is being changed in order to avoid this very issue. Whether it works or not we'll have to wait and see...but it is changing to a rating (1, 2, 3) with dismissal become easier.
    Last edited by sandsjames; 01-04-2017 at 07:44 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Though your standard elitist comment (which you don't even recognize you made) makes it sound like only those who make SNCO or become officers have worked hard.
    I don't see where I said or insinuated that. There are some things people need to do to progress their career to that point, yes some of those things are hard, some are just 'making the donuts' and getting a check in the box. Many people who don't promote work hard but don't select, sometimes because they haven't done the things they need to do to get selected and sometimes because despite working hard they should not promote.

QUOTE=sandsjames;368952] I don't hold it against them at all...Commanders need good "yes men" with a lot of stripes in order to get things done... [/quote]

Because senior and listed are "yes men"?

And Mil to Mil would be far better off because they'd both be getting equal compensation.[/QUOTE]
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Though your standard elitist comment (which you don't even recognize you made) makes it sound like only those who make SNCO or become officers have worked hard.
    I don't see where I said or insinuated that. There are some things people need to do to progress their career to that point, yes some of those things are hard, some are just 'making the donuts' and getting a check in the box. Many people who don't promote work hard but don't select, sometimes because they haven't done the things they need to do to get selected and sometimes because despite working hard they should not promote.

I don't hold it against them at all...Commanders need good "yes men" with a lot of stripes in order to get things done...

And Mil to Mil would be far better off because they'd both be getting equal compensation.
    Agree, dual mil currently gets shafted.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    clearly @sandsjames has been spending far too much time teaching the new and improved AETC's "The Strength is our Diversity" curriculum. All E-7's and above are "Elitist" to those delicate little snowflakes.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

I guess that would depend on whether the single salary would be equivalent to base pay plus (single or dependent) rate BAH?
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    You know how I feel and I know how you feel so this is going to go nowhere...

And O-1 to O-3...yes...many times...

Hell, even O-4s (the TSgt of the Officer Corps) fall into the routine many times. That's why I like O-6 through O-9s...generally they are done with the bullshit and actually tell you what's on their minds.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    clearly @sandsjames has been spending far too much time teaching the new and improved AETC's "The Strength is our Diversity" curriculum. All E-7's and above are "Elitist" to those delicate little snowflakes.
    Get it right..."Diversity is our Strength"...not the other way around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    And yet, you pretty consistently find ways to bring it up. You at you don't begrudge those people who become SMCOs or Officers, intentionally or not ... you certainly come across that way.

Hell, even O-4s (the TSgt of the Officer Corps) fall into the routine many times. That's why I like O-6 through O-9s...generally they are done with the bullshit and actually tell you what's on their minds.
    So the only people that aren't are E1 - E6s and O6 and senior ... got it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    And yet, you pretty consistently find ways to bring it up. You at you don't begrudge those people who become SMCOs or Officers, intentionally or not ... you certainly come across that way.

So the only people that aren't are E1 - E6s and O6 and senior ... got it.