Thread: The Moment That the Reality of Military Life Slapped You In the Face

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

The Moment That the Reality of Military Life Slapped You In the Face

Most of us joined right out of high school, and some of us joined a few years later. In either case, I think we can all agree that the point at which we decided to join was the moment that we decided it was time to "grow up."

And we were excited as hell. The anticipation of boot camp/basic training when we got there. How pumped we were while going through. The pride we felt when we donned our dress uniforms for the first time. And we were so convinced that our dress uniforms would be instant panty-droppers. Our schooling for our job was the one thing that we had to get though before that to use.

It was the first time in our lives that were on our own as adults. We finally got to do adult things - like spend our own money however we saw fit, choose what we ate for meals, not have a curfew, etc.

We were bright-eyed and optimistic about our futures in the military. We all thought that we would be the SMA/MCPON/SMMC/CMSAF/MPOCG someday, or was at least going retire as an E9. We all planed to don the campaign hat/red rope sometime during our military career. Hell, we might even try out for SpecOps or look for a commission.

And when it came to performance and conduct, we all thought were on top of our game.

That is, until we found out that someone in charge of us didn't share the same view. Or maybe something else happened during your career. Maybe you saw too many people retiring at E6 (or even E5, if you were in more than ten years ago), and realized that retiring at E9 is statistically highly unlikely. Maybe you ran into junior NCOs who have a habit of eating their young.

I've said this before: that moment when the reality of military life slapped me in the face, and my bright-eyed optimism came to a complete end was when I was "perceived" to be doing something wrong. But, rather than come to me with the problem so that I could clear up what was happening, this person went and told my LPO. My LPO ripped me a new one and, when I explained what was happening, he didn't want to hear it. Rank = credibility, and my LPO believed the person who told him what he saw.

What was your moment?
    Last edited by Rusty Jones; 12-28-2016 at 04:43 PM.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males