Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 40 of 40

Thread: Lyft/Uber (etc)

  1. #31
    Senior Member Rusty Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    3,936
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I can understand not wanting to be a taxi driver if you can't carry a gun, but Uber and Lyft? Why? All transactions are paid via credit or debit card through the app. Even if their card has insufficient funds or is otherwise declined, YOU won't know about it. You STILL get paid, and the company goes after the passenger for the money.

    In other words... you don't carry cash on the job (unless you want to, but there's no reason for it). Obviously, if a customer orders an Uber or Lyft, they already know that, so there's no point in trying to rob you.

    With actual taxis, that's a different story.

    By the, garhkal, being the right-wing conservative that you are... I can't believe what I just saw you say. You don't own a gun? Not even a $200 .22 caliber pea-shooter? Get the fuck outta here!
    Last edited by Rusty Jones; 12-31-2016 at 04:14 AM.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

  2. #32
    Senior Member Rainmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    on a Marl Road
    Posts
    3,882
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    Well, considering the "black on black" that you like to bring up so much, I should have more to fear from black customers than non-black drivers do. But... I had no problems.

    Oh, wait... I've driven conventional taxis before! Yellow Cab of Norfolk/Norfolk Checker Taxi, plus I've driven both Uber and Lyft!

    Have YOU driven taxis?
    Have YOU driven for Uber or Lyft? Please tell me what your personal experience with passengers are, based on race?

    I can tell you that I've had about the SAME number of blacks and whites fuck me out of fares when I drove taxis, and I've only had ONE Latino fuck me out of a fare (he gave it to me the next day, though).

    Lemme tell you a few stories with some white customers:

    1. I think I've told this one before, in fact, I was telling AA about it when he was still around. This was my FIRST case: this guy was either drunk or high on drugs, but I couldn't tell. Either way, he got us lost and ran my meter up to $130 by the time I got him back home (he had given up on trying to find the place). I worried that he was going to run, when he said he was going to the ATM (he looked like a runner. I was 275 lbs at the time). So, I saw a homeless guy in the parking lot (who also looked like a runner) and offered him $40 if he went after the guy if he tried to run. Luckily for me, the passenger was going to act like a tough guy and walk, and then challenged me to do something. I obliged, and got a good hold on the guy and forced him to drop the money and I had the homeless guy pick it up. Even though the homeless guy didn't have to run, I gave him his cut.

    2. Another incident with a white guy: this was in the Ghent section of Norfolk. He had a thick Eastern European accent. I picked him up from a bar, and brought him to his house. He paid his fare and got out. Before I could drive off, he ran back to me and told me that he forgot something at the bar. So I take him to the bar, and back home again. Six dollar fare. He said he was going to "pay me later." I wasn't having that. I demanded my money, and he refused. I slapped that dude and told me to give me my money, and he started running. When I caught up to him, the same thing happened again. But when he ran off again, he dropped $20 and all was right with the world.

    3. This was on a busier holiday, where the customers knew we were busy: I picked up a white woman from a house party and brought her home. She then starts checking her purse, and telling me she can't find her money. She then goes into her living room, and starts pretending to look for the money. Obviously, it's costing me more to sit there and wait for her to find the money rather than going out and getting more fares. And she knew this. Ultimately, I had no choice but to let her win and go get more fares.

    Guess what? I've had three black runners, where they basically got out and ran.

    Three and three. And before you start talking about population percentages and representation, it's just about even in Norfolk. 43% black and 47% white.

    Again... it's all about sucking up to people like you.
    We're not talking about podunk Norfolk. We're talking about big cities were the (mostly) non-white drivers refuse to pick up American blacks on sight.

    Now before you go and throw your hissy fit Rusty.....know that we agree, that our American blacks are getting profiled by these 3rd worlder illegal alien cabbies, most of whom probably cant even pass a Driver's Test in English.

    Now whether it's because they're a bunch of UNCLE TOMs or it's because they can tell SHIT FROM SHINOLA.....the point of agreement is THAT 1/2 of these drunks, are a menace to society and have no business even being on our roads.

    The only reason they even continue to get away with this shit, is so all the politicians can line their pockets with illegal kickbacks from the mafia taxi unions.

    So, If PRIVATE companies can somehow put an end to this BS taxi rackett, then Rainmaker say Good Riddance!
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 12-31-2016 at 05:22 AM.

  3. #33
    Senior Member Rusty Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    3,936
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    We're not talking about podunk Norfolk. We're talking about big cities were the (mostly) non-white drivers refuse to pick up American blacks on sight.
    Translation: "I'm stumped for responses to your examples of white passengers doing the very things that I claim that black passengers do, so I'm going to dismiss Norfolk as being "Podunk," despite it being a bigger city than Baton Rouge, San Bernardino, Spokane, Birmingham, Des Moines, Rochester, Tacoma, Montgomery, Columbus, Little Rock, Shreveport, Grand Rapids, Mobile, Salt Lake City, Knoxville, Providence, Chattanooga, and Dayton."

    Yep; and I see why.

    Now before you go and throw your hissy fit Rusty.....know that we agree, that our American blacks are getting profiled by these 3rd worlder illegal alien cabbies, most of whom probably cant even pass a Driver's Test in English.

    Now whether it's because they're a bunch of UNCLE TOMs or it's because they can tell SHIT FROM SHINOLA.....the point of agreement is THAT 1/2 of these drunks, are a menace to society and have no business even being on our roads.
    You're proving my point right here. What, am I supposed to feel better because you're talking shit about non-black minorities as if I'm supposed to be on your side about it? Maybe those immigrant taxi drivers who discriminate against black customers would get a warm & fuzzy from listening to you speak ill of black people, while you pretend to be on their side.

    That shit doesn't work on me. I see right through it.

    The only reason they even continue to get away with this shit, is so all the politicians can line their pockets with illegal kickbacks from the mafia taxi unions.

    So, If PRIVATE companies can somehow put an end to this BS taxi rackett, then Rainmaker say Good Riddance!
    Funny, because the same bribes could be made with taxi drivers of ANY citizenship or legal status.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

  4. #34
    Senior Member Bos Mutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,555
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    I've never seen that before. Must've been in Fairfax Country. They have a whole bunch of laws there that are different from the rest of the state.
    It was in Newport News....placed call The Sandbar
    The Voice of Reason

  5. #35
    Senior Member Rainmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    on a Marl Road
    Posts
    3,882
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    Translation: "I'm stumped for responses to your examples of white passengers doing the very things that I claim that black passengers do, so I'm going to dismiss Norfolk as being "Podunk," despite it being a bigger city than Baton Rouge, San Bernardino, Spokane, Birmingham, Des Moines, Rochester, Tacoma, Montgomery, Columbus, Little Rock, Shreveport, Grand Rapids, Mobile, Salt Lake City, Knoxville, Providence, Chattanooga, and Dayton."


    That shit doesn't work on me. I see right through it.


    As of 2014 only 6% of NYC cabbies were American born. The majority of them come from Bangladesh or Pakistan.

    https://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/10/n...city.html?_r=1

    And yet black Americans are complaining of "racism" because they STILL can't catch a ride.

    The idea that a bunch of Mongoloid Refugees (who think we should be living under Sharia) are engaging in "racial profiling", just to try & show out for whitey is ludicrous.

    And having tended bar part-time for 10 years in 3 different states.....

    Rainmaker can tell you Rusty, that the reason American Blacks get horrible service has nothing to do with racism.....

    It's because they are FAR and AWAY, the WORST CUSTOMERS (other than illegal Mexican Foreign nationals and Elderly Canadian-Jewish snow birds). & It's not even up for debate!
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 01-04-2017 at 03:53 AM.

  6. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, ohio
    Posts
    3,326
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    Not a moot point...if you wanted to carry your personal firearm while on duty, were you allowed to?
    No, cause my Security job prohibited it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    Oh...cuz it seemed like you DID have an issue with Uber making that call.
    You do know the difference between a brick and mortar business, say like walgreens, vs an online business, like uber/lyft is right. Uber saying "no smoking even though yu are using your OWN CAR to drive people around, is akin to say you working at home for Amazon, doing web maintenance, and them telling you "when on the clock, you can't smoke or drink"..
    Where as if you worked IN a walgreens store, them saying "no smoking at work" is understandable, it is afterall THEIR premises you are at.
    Uber on the other hand, its NOT THEIR premises. ITS YOURS!

    And the other issue i have is that in some regards 70% of the cost of a pack of smokes is tax (NYC!!!), but yet the laws prohibited it to where even IN those housing block buildings, even IF YOU OWN the room/apartment/house, you can't smoke....

  7. #37
    Senior Member Bos Mutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,555
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    No, cause my Security job prohibited it.

    You do know the difference between a brick and mortar business, say like walgreens, vs an online business, like uber/lyft is right. Uber saying "no smoking even though yu are using your OWN CAR to drive people around, is akin to say you working at home for Amazon, doing web maintenance, and them telling you "when on the clock, you can't smoke or drink"..
    Not quite the same unless you are having customers in your house.


    Where as if you worked IN a walgreens store, them saying "no smoking at work" is understandable, it is afterall THEIR premises you are at.
    Uber on the other hand, its NOT THEIR premises. ITS YOURS!
    They are, in a sense, renting your time and car...of course, you don't have to drive with them.


    And the other issue i have is that in some regards 70% of the cost of a pack of smokes is tax (NYC!!!), but yet the laws prohibited it to where even IN those housing block buildings, even IF YOU OWN the room/apartment/house, you can't smoke....
    I'm with you there.
    The Voice of Reason

  8. #38
    Senior Member Rusty Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    3,936
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Damn, garhkal, is someone twisting your arm and forcing you to drive for Uber or Lyft? If you need some help, I can come up to Ohio and help get him off of you.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

  9. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, ohio
    Posts
    3,326
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    Not quite the same unless you are having customers in your house.
    Even if i was having customers in my house, like say i did a home beauty salon (like i have known some people do), it still doesn't mean i should be prohibited from partaking in a legally sold substance (tobacco) in my house..

    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    Damn, garhkal, is someone twisting your arm and forcing you to drive for Uber or Lyft? If you need some help, I can come up to Ohio and help get him off of you.
    No, i just hate being told "If you want to work for X, stop doing a legal product. Even in your off time.

  10. #40
    Senior Member efmbman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,042
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Even if i was having customers in my house, like say i did a home beauty salon (like i have known some people do), it still doesn't mean i should be prohibited from partaking in a legally sold substance (tobacco) in my house..
    This is too easy. You gave a false comparison. If you run a business from your home, it is your business. Your actions and/or inaction will reflect on your clientele. Conversely, if you run a franchise of a larger business, then you are required to abide by the rules the franchise establishes. No different that how the Big Mac is regulated and prepared the same way at every location (unless permission is granted to do otherwise). Driving for Uber or Lyft makes you a franchisee. You are using YOUR car, but there are rules to abide by if you want to benefit from the logistical advantages of doing so (the app, payment over card, etc.). If you want to spend your time driving strangers around you are free to start your own company and do so. You must also be aware that when using the corporations name, the corporation incurs some liability on your part. The way the legal system is today, you better believe they would lay out clear and concise rules for being a driver under their brand.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •