Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 40

Thread: Lyft/Uber (etc)

  1. #11
    Senior Member Rainmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    on a Marl Road
    Posts
    3,882
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    Are you saying that you have to arm yourself when you get a black passenger?
    Why else do you think blacks are getting racially profiled by non-white cab drivers in progressive cities with the strictest gun control laws?

  2. #12
    Senior Member Rusty Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    3,936
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    Seems like a reasonable requirement to me.

    I think a lot of customers would be put off if Uber drivers were smoking.
    I doubt Lyft allows it either. Like I said, I drove for both, but I'm a non-smoker so it wasn't exactly a rule that I needed to pay much attention to.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

  3. #13
    Senior Member Rusty Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    3,936
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    Why else do you think blacks are getting racially profiled by non-white cab drivers in progressive cities with the strictest gun control laws?
    To gain acceptance from people like you.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

  4. #14
    Senior Member Rainmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    on a Marl Road
    Posts
    3,882
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    To gain acceptance from people like you.
    or Maybe they're just good at math?

  5. #15
    Senior Member Rusty Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    3,936
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    or Maybe they're just good at math?
    No, it's exactly what I said. Many non-white minorities feel that conspicuous racism against blacks will result in less racism against them.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

  6. #16
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    Seems like a reasonable requirement to me.

    I think a lot of customers would be put off if Uber drivers were smoking.
    So they don't have to ride...make it known that your car is a smoking car...then it's up to them...the only one losing out is the driver.

  7. #17
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I was simply talking about the commercial for Uber saying "Get your side hustle on" didn't seem like it was targeted at white guys...

  8. #18
    Senior Member Bos Mutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,555
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    So they don't have to ride...make it known that your car is a smoking car...then it's up to them...the only one losing out is the driver.
    Yeah, I get it in principle...but non-smoking pick-ups seem reasonable...just like your car has to meet certain standards. They want the Uber brand associated with a certain level of service.

    In principle, they could say, "hell, they don't have to take the ride"...but, then as a customer you might have to wait out several drivers to find one that isn't a death trap, etc.

    That's not their business model, anyway...you request a ride in the app and the driver chooses to get you or not....but, as a customer, you can expect a certain half-way decent ride.
    The Voice of Reason

  9. #19
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    Yeah, I get it in principle...but non-smoking pick-ups seem reasonable...just like your car has to meet certain standards. They want the Uber brand associated with a certain level of service.

    In principle, they could say, "hell, they don't have to take the ride"...but, then as a customer you might have to wait out several drivers to find one that isn't a death trap, etc.

    That's not their business model, anyway...you request a ride in the app and the driver chooses to get you or not....but, as a customer, you can expect a certain half-way decent ride.
    Sure...and just like a motel they can easily ask "would you like smoking or non-smoking". Hell, I'm sure there are a lot of people who would love to be able to smoke on the way home from the bar and if it's ok with the driver and it's serving the customer it's no biggy. But, of course...smoking is bad bad bad...evil...and must not be in any way associated with anything public.

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, ohio
    Posts
    3,326
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    Yeah, God forbid the app that they use makes it near impossible to racially profile passengers from whom the drivers get notification.

    Fuck them for that. Guess we'll just have to look at Lyft then, huh?
    If they want to be involved in Social justice, Become a Non-profit activist group.. If they wanna run a business, imo Stay out of politics..

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    Couple that with the uber drivers not being able to arm themselves and it's a recipe for disaster. And even though most cab drivers in our cities are non-white foreigners. Blacks still can't catch a ride!
    I almost chuckled when i initially read that several months back.. How would they even know the person is a CCW holder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    Seems like a reasonable requirement to me.

    I think a lot of customers would be put off if Uber drivers were smoking.
    Strange, i have been in cabs where MORE of them hated the whole "non smoking" cause they AND their customers would have loved to light up.. And if its cause of people complaining.. Do those Uber drivers get told to not smoke when they are 'not on the clock'? Even if that's barely 2 minutes before they clock In?
    Are they told "Don't eat peanuts in case you might get someone with a peanut allergy? Or "Don't transport your own pets, incase you get someone with a dog/cat hair allergy??

    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    Yeah, I get it in principle...but non-smoking pick-ups seem reasonable...just like your car has to meet certain standards. They want the Uber brand associated with a certain level of service.

    In principle, they could say, "hell, they don't have to take the ride"...but, then as a customer you might have to wait out several drivers to find one that isn't a death trap, etc.

    That's not their business model, anyway...you request a ride in the app and the driver chooses to get you or not....but, as a customer, you can expect a certain half-way decent ride.
    How is driving with someone who smokes, either before or during the trup making the car a 'death trap'? Do they breathalize everyone to ensure a driver is not drunk or high?
    Or are you saying smokers are more dangerous??

    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Sure...and just like a motel they can easily ask "would you like smoking or non-smoking". Hell, I'm sure there are a lot of people who would love to be able to smoke on the way home from the bar and if it's ok with the driver and it's serving the customer it's no biggy. But, of course...smoking is bad bad bad...evil...and must not be in any way associated with anything public.
    My point exactly SJ. As a society we seem to regard smoking almost as evil as Leppers used to be seen. Booting them out of bars, restaurants, hotels/motels, hell even in some apartment / housing communities...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •