Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Senior Air Force member charged in death of teen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    air

In the AF, the commander has to be 0-5 or above to reduce an E-7 at NJP...m

...ust be a MAJCOM commander (4-star) to reduce an E-8 or E-9...though there is some squirrelly words about delegation below that level, it's not far below, like maybe 3-star vice commander or something
    In the USN and USMC it has to do with who the promotion authority is ... promotion to E2-5 in the USMC is effected by the local CO, so a CO and reduce ... E6 and above is effected by HQMC, so it takes General Officer authority to reduce ... same in the USN except that the cut is at E7 vice E6 ...
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    air

In the AF, the commander has to be 0-5 or above to reduce an E-7 at NJP...m

...ust be a MAJCOM commander (4-star) to reduce an E-8 or E-9...though there is some squirrelly words about delegation below that level, it's not far below, like maybe 3-star vice commander or something
    In the USN and USMC it has to do with who the promotion authority is ... promotion to E2-5 in the USMC is effected by the local CO, so a CO and reduce ... E6 and above is effected by HQMC, so it takes General Officer authority to reduce ... same in the USN except that the cut is at E7 vice E6 ...

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    I guess it's about the same...just the AF cut is at E8.

AF does not take E7s as seriously as the Navy does.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I guess it's about the same...just the AF cut is at E8.

AF does not take E7s as seriously as the Navy does.
    Nor E6's as seriously as the Marines. It is just different divestment of responsibilities & authority; after crossing into the Navy, I saw that the role of the typical Platoon Sergeant in the USMC (SSgt - E6) is identical to the role of the Leading Chief Petty Officer (CPO - E7) in the Navy -- it is also the first boarded promotion etc. Based on my joint time, I would say that E6 in the USMC, E7 in the USN, E7/8 in the USAF & USA are about the same when it comes to what their typical roles & responsibilities are in small unit constructs. USMC throws a curve in with what an E7 (GySgt) typically does, then they all line back up at E8 & E9 with Senior Chiefs/1stSgts and SgtsMaj/CMSgts.

It isn't right / wrong or better / worse ... it is what works for those services and the way they do things.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rumor on that FB site is that he was at a Christmas Party at his commander's house and the commander has been fire...unconfirmed.
    Appears to be confirmed now...commander reassigned pending investigation

The squadron commander of the 4th Security Forces Squadron at Seymour Johnson Air Force Base in North Carolina has been reassigned after the squadron's security forces manager was charged in a fatal drunk driving accident.

Maj. Gilbert Wyche has been temporarily reassigned to his wing's mission support group, Tech. Sgt. Phillip Butterfield, a spokesman for the 4th Fighter Wing, said in an email Tuesday.

Chief Master Sgt. Hector Soler, the squadron's security forces manager, allegedly drove drunk on Dec. 10 and hit 17-year-old Johny Robert Watson, who died five days later. An accident report states that Soler crashed into the back of Watson's Jeep at 70 mph around 11:30 p.m. Dec. 10, launching the Jeep 159 feet into a utility pole, according to a report by the Goldsboro News-Argus. Soler has been charged with felony death by motor vehicle, failure to reduce speed​ and driving while impaired with a blood alcohol content of .16.

"Due to the proximity of Maj. Wyche's and Chief Master Sgt. Soler's positions, Maj. Wyche has been temporarily reassigned outside of the 4th Security Forces Squadron and into the 4th Mission Support Group until a thorough review of all the information connected to the incident is complete," Butterfield said in a Wednesday email, after being asked whether the reassignment was related to Soler's arrest. "Pending review of the evidence found in this investigation, a determination of his duty position will be made."

https://www.airforcetimes.com/articl...der-reassigned
    Last edited by Bos Mutus; 12-22-2016 at 09:05 PM.
    The Voice of Reason

Newbie - (Restricted)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I been thinking about this case a lot...and how all the lives of those impacted have changed dramatically in that instant.

Says he was 0.16...I know that's twice the legal limit...but, does anyone know how drunk someone is at 0.16? Are the trashed or got a good buzz? Visibly drunk to observers?

Rumor on that FB site is that he was at a Christmas Party at his commander's house and the commander has been fire...unconfirmed.
    In 1992 I was stopped and blew a .104. The limit was .10 back then and luckily I got it reduced to reckless driving. I remember thinking though that right at the legal limit like that I wasn't buzzed, I wasn't feeling social, I was flipping drunk , unquestionably too drunk to drive a car. So I imagine .16 is probably close your eyes and feel your brain spinning around.

Thankfully those days of foolish decisions are well behind me, but I was very fortunate I never got into the kind of trouble this guy is in.
    Large selection of [URL=http://www.chocolategiftbaskets.org]Chocolate Gift Baskets[/URL] for all your gift giving needs.
    Large selection of [URL=http://www.spagiftbaskets.org]Spa Gift Baskets[/URL] for all your gift giving needs.
    Unique, creative and personalized [URL=http://www.weddinggiftbaskets.org]Wedding Gift Baskets[/URL] according to your needs.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Commander's temporary reassignment became permanent Dec 29...surely an indicator that he had some knowledge/involvement that evening...rumors are the Chief was at a party at the CC's house.

The squadron commander who had been reassigned after the unit's security forces manager was charged in a fatal drunk driving accident has been relieved from command, the 4th Fighter Wing announced in a statement.

Maj. Gilbert Wyche was relieved from command of the 4th Security Forces Squadron on Thursday by Col. Christopher Sage, commander of the 4th Fighter Wing at Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, North Carolina.

"After a thorough review of information regarding the events of Dec. 10, 2016, Sage lost confidence in Wyche's ability to effectively command the 4th Security Forces Squadron," the statement said. "Wyche will remain temporarily reassigned to the 4th Mission Support Group until he is transferred to another base."
    In general, I don't think hosts are civilly liable for this kind of stuff...but there are situations where he could be...I think, if he pushed vs. provided alcohol or had direct knowledge of the chief's intoxication...not sure. I know a bar that sells/serves alcohol has more of a duty to stop serving and more liability than a casual host does...but, there might be possibility that the commander gets personally sued...also if this were a somewhat official sq function, I wonder about liability for the AF?
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Commander's temporary reassignment became permanent Dec 29...surely an indicator that he had some knowledge/involvement that evening...rumors are the Chief was at a party at the CC's house.

In general, I don't think hosts are civilly liable for this kind of stuff...but there are situations where he could be...I think, if he pushed vs. provided alcohol or had direct knowledge of the chief's intoxication...not sure. I know a bar that sells/serves alcohol has more of a duty to stop serving and more liability than a casual host does...but, there might be possibility that the commander gets personally sued...also if this were a somewhat official sq function, I wonder about liability for the AF?
    I suspect before all is said and done some court will be deciding all of those factors.