Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Military Mantras I hate.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The current crop coming in these days are so whiny and lazy.
    Seriously? You mean, during the US military's 240 year history, nobody complained, nobody tried to skate or sham out of work, and the military was a place here EVERYONE was squared away and happily did what they were told... but that all changed sometime after YOU became an NCO?

Get the fuck outta here!
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    Ignorance, definitely. Most people joining the military have never had a salaried job before; so they go in with the mindset of comparing their pay to working at Burger King or whatever part time job they had while they were in high school.
    I'd rather work as a salaried employee than an hourly wage employee. My mindset has always been I'll work as many hours as it take to get a job done and if that means overtime at no extra pay then that's what I'll do. Being a salaried employee also mean you typically have more control and flexibility over your work than an hourly employee.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LogDog View Post
    Those using the hourly rate when comparing military pay to civilian pay are either trying to push their agenda or are ignorant about the difference between hourly and salaried employees. IMO, they're ignorant.
    True fact, the military gets paid the same no matter how much or how little they work. Over time all the long hours, days and weeks are pretty well compensated for with time off to take kids to the doc, get a car fixed or registered, feeling under the weather but short of SIQ etc.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    True fact, the military gets paid the same no matter how much or how little they work. Over time all the long hours, days and weeks are pretty well compensated for with time off to take kids to the doc, get a car fixed or registered, feeling under the weather but short of SIQ etc.
    Bullshit...none of that makes up for 6-15 months of deployment...so don't convince yourself that anyone is "well compensated" with anything. They are compensated as much as possible, but it's not anywhere close to balancing out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Bullshit...none of that makes up for 6-15 months of deployment...so don't convince yourself that anyone is "well compensated" with anything. They are compensated as much as possible, but it's not anywhere close to balancing out.
    The problem with your argument is military people know they are subject to deployments when they enlisted. In some instances, their deployments pay them extra money in the form of combat pay, exclusion of income tax for the time a person is deployed to a combat zone, fight pay, etc., and for the Navy their deployments at sea they get Sea Pay.

The pay the military get for being deployed may not be up t your standards but it is there. Also remember, if a person retires from the military their pensions and medical benefits are, on the whole, better than their civilian counterparts. My father, brother and myself are retired military are they always received their retirement checks whereas a number of civilian companies try to reduce or eliminate either pension obligations. If it weren't for the medical benefits, I'd still have to be working to pay for medical insurance but since I get my medical care through the military I don't need to buy medical insurance.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Seriously? You mean, during the US military's 240 year history, nobody complained, nobody tried to skate or sham out of work, and the military was a place here EVERYONE was squared away and happily did what they were told... but that all changed sometime after YOU became an NCO?

Get the fuck outta here!
    I always hated hearing, especially from my fellow SNCOs, that "The current crop coming in these days are so whiny and lazy. " or sentiments like that because I didn't buy into that type of thinking. I'd remind them their SNCOs were saying the same thing about us when we were 2- or 3-stripers and look how we turned out. Also, I'd point out the number of times they publicly said how much smarter and sharper the new generation of airmen are and then sit back and watch them stammer trying to figure a way to recover from their disconnected statements. It's not that I took pleasure in embarrassing them, okay, maybe a little, but I wasn't going to let them off they hook by saying one thing in public and another in private.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Welcome back.

Make up for it? No, nothing will "make up" for missing time with our families ... what I am getting at is that most places in the military are pretty liberal about giving people time off for things a normal employer would either dock people time for or just fire someone for; something that I currently deal with in having about 450 military and 200 civilian employees in our command.

Straight comparing military to civilian jobs and employment practices doesn't really work, but yes, from a monetary standpoint ... by and large we (the military) are well compensated for what we do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Get the fuck outta here!
    Well yeah ... don't you know that everyone is screwed up but 'me' ...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I don't know any civilian who receives an ACTUAL 24/7 wage when away from home.

On another note, there are plenty of people - both military and civilian - who think that military members are poor. I remember a few years back, when I was shopping at the Dollar Tree before the school year started, I was at the check out counter and the cashier asked me if I wanted to purchase any school supplies to donate to military dependent children.

Whaaaa? Cheap ass Dollar Tree school supplies? Donate? Hahahahahaha!

I mean, I appreciate what Dollar Tree was trying to do, but damn!
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Cheap ass Dollar Tree school supplies?
    Barely better than that Skillcraft stuff we have all over the place around here.