Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Military Mantras I hate.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    This is something that's usually said to someone being made to work a ridiculous amount of hours with no time off in the forseeable future.

Not sure if it's meant to shut a complainer up, or if it's meant make a complainer think "Well, gee, now that you put it THAT way; I'm happy!".
    +1

In the corollary...this is often used to show how supposedly underpaid the military is.

"I get paid only $8.50 per hour (if you count 24/7)...and Betty McBurgerflipper wants $15 per hour?"....blah blah blah.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    +1

In the corollary...this is often used to show how supposedly underpaid the military is.

"I get paid only $8.50 per hour (if you count 24/7)...and Betty McBurgerflipper wants $15 per hour?"....blah blah blah.
    Which is nuts because, by the same standard, a salaried white collar professional making $65,000 a year only makes $7.44 an hour.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Which is nuts because, by the same standard, a salaried white collar professional making $65,000 a year only makes $7.44 an hour.
    Yes, it's very deceptive.

the truth is...the average 18-25 year old servicemember is compensated much better than their average civilian counterpart.

They are also asked to do a lot more...but, civilian companies are neither going to ask as much nor pay as much in total compensation.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    To me, it wasn't even that. I remember my first duty station: shore duty in Groton. I don't remember exactly what it was that I was perceived to be doing, but someone - who was senior to me - saw it, and decided to tell my LPO. I then, of course, get pulled aside by the LPO who then tells me about it. And, of course, because my LPO wasn't there to see for himself was going on and rank = credibility, my LPO believed the person who saw me, and wasn't interested in anything that I had to say.

Whereas... if the person who saw me had come to me and spoken up, the confusion would have been cleared on the spot.

Mind you, I had just gotten to my first duty station, and I was in that happy bright-eyed boot phase... this particular moment, right then and there, killed it. This was the single moment that the reality of military life slapped me in the face.
    I've seen similar eager eye newbies show up, to get their hyped up images of military life crushed within the first few months of being on their first duty station..

Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post

My first duty station was Guantanamo Bay in the Ground Defense Secrity Force ... At the time I hated it. As a LCpl (E3) you lived in a four man room for E3 and below, worked a 2-2-2-80 schedule for a year ... And on your 80 hour break was not Liberty but a break from standing post ... you had training, admin, weapons and vehicle maintenance etc. I would have separated from the military had I not gotten a second tour to see that the entire USMC is not GTMO and that much of my perception of it was being 19 & 20, an E3 and only privy to my small part in the overall organization.

I am glad now that I got that different perspective ... But had I had strings of bad experiences I likely would not look back.
    Ive known many that felt the same. Did their 4 yrs on ship and felt they would NOT reenlist cause of their bad experience there..

+1

However, those people fail to take into account, BAS, BAH, Sea pay (or flight pay), imminent danger pay, free medical/dental. Add all those things up, and that 8.50/hr they just see from the base pay gets jacked up.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    I've seen similar eager eye newbies show up, to get their hyped up images of military life crushed within the first few months of being on their first duty station..
    What's funny is that during all the times I've held second gigs - such as taxi driver and delivery driver - and I went on base, I had pretty mixed feelings whenever I saw new Sailors in their service dress blues/whites with a full seabag on their backs and thick yellow envelopes in their hands, fresh out of "A" school. They're happy, they're excited, and - for most - this is the start of their adult lives.

But... we all know that for the majority of these Sailors, this is the happiest they will ever be in their careers. A good percentage of these Sailors won't even finish their enlistments. Another percentage will, but only after enduring the next 3.5 more miserable years of their lives. Another percentage will find life on liberty (i.e., on the ship or in the barracks) so miserable, that they're going to fall in the dependa trap - and end up reenlisting anyway, even though they're just as turned off by military life as the single guys who got out after four.

But when you look at that young Sailor fresh off the plane at Norfolk International Airport, these are things you think about.

I remember when I was driving these guys from the airport to the base. Most would ask me if I was in the Navy; and I would actually deny it. Not that I'm ashamed of my service (far from it), but because I know that the next question would be "why did you get out?" I didn't want to be the guy to ruin their moment.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    However, those people fail to take into account, BAS, BAH, Sea pay (or flight pay), imminent danger pay, free medical/dental. Add all those things up, and that 8.50/hr they just see from the base pay gets jacked up.
    Free Medical, Dental, 30 days paid vacation....these are exceedingly rare in the civilian world.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Free Medical, Dental, 30 days paid vacation....these are exceedingly rare in the civilian world.
    Yep, I'm a GS-11 Step 4, and my take home pay is somewhere between that of an E4 or E5. There are only two parts of my compensation package that are better than active duty military's: I get paid for overtime (it's not time and a half, though), and I get better leave (i.e., you can combine leave and scheduled time off).

But even with those advantages, I'd still gladly trade my GS-11 compensation package for an active duty E6 compensation package if I could have it while staying a civilian.
    Last edited by Rusty Jones; 12-16-2016 at 01:36 AM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    But... we all know that for the majority of these Sailors, this is the happiest they will ever be in their careers. A good percentage of these Sailors won't even finish their enlistments. Another percentage will, but only after enduring the next 3.5 more miserable years of their lives. Another percentage will find life on liberty (i.e., on the ship or in the barracks) so miserable, that they're going to fall in the dependa trap - and end up reenlisting anyway, even though they're just as turned off by military life as the single guys who got out after four.
    This is imo why its imperative that as one of the senior people in a shop you always take these new folks under your wings to steer them right and keep them from getting into those traps..

But when you look at that young Sailor fresh off the plane at Norfolk International Airport, these are things you think about.

I remember when I was driving these guys from the airport to the base. Most would ask me if I was in the Navy; and I would actually deny it. Not that I'm ashamed of my service (far from it), but because I know that the next question would be "why did you get out?" I didn't want to be the guy to ruin their moment.
    Back when i was thinking of going to work for Uber (or a similar company) i always wondered how i would have answered that question, should i have BEEN the person doing that, driving a newbie fresh from boot to his first command.. Since i retired, and didn't get out after 4,6 or what ever, i feel good about being truthful..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    +1

Those using the hourly rate when comparing military pay to civilian pay are either trying to push their agenda or are ignorant about the difference between hourly and salaried employees. IMO, they're ignorant.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LogDog View Post
    Those using the hourly rate when comparing military pay to civilian pay are either trying to push their agenda or are ignorant about the difference between hourly and salaried employees. IMO, they're ignorant.
    Ignorance, definitely. Most people joining the military have never had a salaried job before; so they go in with the mindset of comparing their pay to working at Burger King or whatever part time job they had while they were in high school.