Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NBC's Fake News King Brian Williams Launches Crusade Against "Fake News"

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    It is interesting ... it has all the foundations of a great conspiracy.

DNC Staffer murdered, during the election cycle ... following the hacking etc.
    Slight correction, it was following a LEAKING of info, not hacking of info.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Slight correction, it was following a LEAKING of info, not hacking of info.
    Fair enough, the hacking took place prior to the leaking.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Fair enough, the hacking took place prior to the leaking.
    Actually, a WikiLeaks operative is saying the emails they posted were handed over to them in a DC park by an intermediary.

"The source had legal access to the information. The documents came from inside leaks, not hacks."

" He said the leakers were motivated by 'disgust at the corruption of the Clinton Foundation and the tilting of the primary election field against Bernie Sanders"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-insiders.html

Now, Applying Occam's razor.... Rainmaker's money's on this being the most likely story.......

Speaking of money......What's the current over/under on 'Betfair' for Huma Abedin "accidentally" shooting herself, multiple times in the back of the head, with a nail gun?
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 12-15-2016 at 06:55 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    The fake news narrative is real; exactly how pervasive it is a good question but dismissing the issue entirely ignores the facts.

New (alt) news sources such as Brietbart and ImfoWars are excellent examples of sites that publish a story with on nugget of fact surrounded by extensive falsehood --MSNNBC, Fox, and more and more CNN are doing the same thing along with various print media. Pulling out that nugget from falsehood, speculation and opinion at times isn't difficult ... at other times it can be.

"Theatricality and deception are powerful agents to the uninitiated, but we are initiated ... aren't we Bruce?"

As far as Brian Williams, fuck that guy. But I imagine on some level they had to keep him due to a contract.
    Speculation and opinion is not the same as Fake News...although, yes, at times it is done cleverly enough to make speculation appear as truth rather that what it is.

In my observation, Fake News has come out in at least 3 different waves:

First Wave: Sites like The Onion and Duffelblog...appear to have no ill intentions other than to be funny. The are Satire sites in the mold of SNL and National Lampoon. While people at times have been fooled by their articles; they are mostly pretty obvious, do not pretend to be anything else other than a humorous fake news site and can be funny.

Second Wave: Sites that hide "satire site" in their small print disclaimer. They write stories that are more apt to be believed as "truth is strange" kind of things. Generally, with outrageous headlines like man files to marry transgender pig...or Obama proposed limiting church attendance to once a month...or Sarah Palin sex party, etc.

The goal of these sites is generally click and share to gain advertiser revenue. People love to click and share stories that show how the opposing party is outrageous in their conduct...or how far we have a society have fallen in morals, etc.

Some of these sites are Empirenews, News8now, etc. You can usually find a disclaimer somewhere on their page about being satire or entertainment only...

The 3rd Wave is sites that aggregate legitimate news from other places and then add in some of their own Fake News, or other Fake News. They are deceptive and often you can't even find their 'satire" disclaimer, if they even have one. They attempt to legitimize their fake news by surrounding it with stories you know to be true. People assume the sites are therefore legit, so the story must be legit.

It's also a way to get around the FB filters that have filtered out some of the 2nd Wave sites...again, the MO is outrage and the goal is click and share.

Sites like Newswatch28 are like this. There are also some that have domains like one letter off of legitimate sites...like Wave 2, these are intended to fool people and a mark of success is when a story goes viral for them...they are just having to get more clever about it as filters and readers wised up a little from Wave 2.

I don't know how much Fake News actually affected the election...generally, it's just people sharing stuff that reinforces their outrage...and when someone else proves the story fake, they'll brush off with something like, "Well, it sound pretty typical for them"..."It could be true nowadays." or something like that.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 12-16-2016 at 02:37 PM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    Speculation and opinion is not the same as Fake News...although, yes, at times it is done cleverly enough to make speculation appear as truth rather that what it is.

In my observation, Fake News has come out in at least 3 different waves:

Snip..
    What would you class a site like here, or GOPUSA as?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    What would you class a site like here, or GOPUSA as?
    I don't know a whole lot about them...but, can't say I'd call them fake news. They are just a very biased site from what I've seen...

If they stood at a street and saw 10 jaywalkers, 5 liberals and 5 conservatives...they would write 5 articles about "Another Liberal jaywalker on Main Street."...maybe speculate that it's because liberals think laws don't apply to them because they are the educated idiot elites who don't hold real jobs, etc. etc. kind of thing.

Not fake, per se, in that 5 liberals did jaywalk, it's just not the whole truth, only the part that supports their agenda...filtered, selected and biased and only what they want to see and their readers want to read...that liberals suck and conservatives are wonderful people.
    Last edited by Bos Mutus; 12-16-2016 at 04:35 PM.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    here's a recent example of "Fake" news.

Last edited by Rainmaker; 12-16-2016 at 02:48 PM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    I don't know a whole lot about them...but, can't say I'd call them fake news. They are just a very biased site from what I've seen...

If they stood at a street and saw 10 jaywalkers, 5 liberals and 5 conservatives...they would write 5 articles about "Another Liberal jaywalker on Main Street."...maybe speculate that it's because liberals think laws don't apply to them because they are the educated idiot elites who don't hold real jobs, etc. etc. kind of thing.

Not fake, per se, in that 5 liberals did jaywalk, it's just not the whole truth, only the part that supports their agenda...filtered, selected and biased and only what they want to see and their readers want to read...that liberals suck and conservatives are wonderful people.
    I've heard SOME though claim since it IS a conservative biased site it must be fake, just like fox news is (to them).. BUT they think nothing of the onion or breibart..

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I've heard SOME though claim since it IS a conservative biased site it must be fake, just like fox news is (to them).. BUT they think nothing of the onion or breibart..
    You can always find SOME people to say just about anything...
    The Voice of Reason