Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: "We need to lower standards to attract the best talent"-Ash Carter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    FCP's are not required for everyone with a child.

The requirement is to submit an FCP within 90 days of the Sailor meeting the criteria to require a Family Care Plan, not necessarily reporting to the command this can be extended by a CO for an additional 90 days.

Basic things that would require and FCP:

1. Primary or shared custody of a minor and not married to the other parent.
    2. Dual military
    3. Legally responsible for an adult family member.

So, if the Sailor reported to the command in Jan, but didn't require a plan (due to change in situation etc.) until 01 Jul, they would have until 01 Oct ... not sure that is what happened at the command you were at ... if the Sailor failed to do what they should have, the command likely did something (maybe counseling vice an NJP), if not ... bad on the command.
    Single parent falls under primary or shared custody of a minor and not married to the other parent. Dual military. I don't think anyone said ALL parents have to have a FCP. Did I miss that somewhere?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sparks82 View Post
    Single parent falls under primary or shared custody of a minor and not married to the other parent. Dual military. I don't think anyone said ALL parents have to have a FCP. Did I miss that somewhere?
    No, I just wasn't sure I understood the situation @garhkal was describing.

Under the Navy policy, if a couple was separated but not divorced, the custodial parent (or both if a joint arrangement) would not be required to submit and FCP until the divorce was finalized. The Command could direct one, but to not submit one would not violate the policy. I was not sure if the single parent he was describing was newly divorced or something like that.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    IRT #3, I have known a few:

-Marine who had a 20 year old disabled child.
    -Sailor who cared for disabled sibling.
    -Sailor whose elderly parent was their legal dependent and disabled.

I seem to recall an Airman having to get one because his wife spoke very little English and did not drive.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    I seem to recall an Airman having to get one because his wife spoke very little English and did not drive.
    yeah ... something like that is in our instruction too ...

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Not a single parent issue ... but: When I was in the Marines, we had a Marine who was married and his wife had some severe mental health issues (schizophrenia, self harm etc.). He couldn't go to the field for more than a couple days before she had a breakdown and he got pulled out to go to housing and take care of her. The Battalion tried to deploy him on a MEU three times, he got replaced twice during work ups, once actually got on the ship to deploy and we had to return him to Camp Lejeune by the time we hit Rota because she was incapable of being home alone. He was not recommended for reenlistment by the Battalion CO and per USMC policy, a first term Marine who is non-rec'd by the CO is not retainable and the package goes not further. He fought it, was separated and got a fairly okay job. Sometimes it just takes someone willing to look someone in the eye, an tell them "this type of thing just doesn't work for your situation".
    Yeousers. If wifey had that much of a mental issue, i would hate to see what she was like before she got married..

Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    Never heard of the language barrier issue, but do know one who had a wife who couldn't drive (legally blind) ergo he couldn't leave her for long periods of time. He only served 4 years, and had to leave her with his brother for the one time he deployed. AND even just that 6 mo period was harsh on her..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Yeousers. If wifey had that much of a mental issue, i would hate to see what she was like before she got married..
    It was genuinely sad, in many ways she was a really nice lady. He kept her on keel when he was around (helped keep her on her meds too), when he was gone ... it was ugly.