Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: At least 59 airmen wrongly failed fitness test due to mismeasured tracks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    Okay...I was referring to the Hanscom track where it says it was discovered when an Airman filed an appeal

Anyway...this is from the AFI, doesn't really help much:
    If you are referencing AFI 36-2905, then 2.12.5.2 states that the Installation Commander, ANG WG/CC. or Equivalent has the specific responsibility to approve "1.5 - mile run/2.0 - kilometer walk assessment course in conjunction with local CES, FSS, and Wing Safety and files approval memorandum at the FAC."

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by efmbman View Post
    If you are referencing AFI 36-2905, then 2.12.5.2 states that the Installation Commander, ANG WG/CC. or Equivalent has the specific responsibility to approve "1.5 - mile run/2.0 - kilometer walk assessment course in conjunction with local CES, FSS, and Wing Safety and files approval memorandum at the FAC."
    There ya go! It's the commander's fault :-)
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    There ya go! It's the commander's fault :-)
    Granted, I served in the Army not the Air Force, but the principles of military leadership seem to be the same. One can delegate authority but not responsibility. We were always taught that the commander is responsible for everything that does or does not happen in a unit.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    This shouldn't be surprising at all. Look at military pay. You owe them money, they're going to take it all at once. They owe you money, they'll take their sweet time, even if it means you default on a bill. Then they'll write you up for defaulting because you didn't plan ahead.

Pretty standard stuff. They don't care about you. Your leaders don't care about you. You should have prepared for the course to be too long and, if you fail because of it, that's on you...here's the door. And it's all because the Commander wants his slideshow to be all in green when he takes it to his boss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    This shouldn't be surprising at all. Look at military pay. You owe them money, they're going to take it all at once. They owe you money, they'll take their sweet time, even if it means you default on a bill. Then they'll write you up for defaulting because you didn't plan ahead.

Pretty standard stuff. They don't care about you. Your leaders don't care about you. You should have prepared for the course to be too long and, if you fail because of it, that's on you...here's the door. And it's all because the Commander wants his slideshow to be all in green when he takes it to his boss.
    It is likely inaccurate to say that all leadership doesn't care about their people. I am sure some don't, am also pretty confident that most do, to varying degrees.

When I became the XO, we identified 11 people who if they failed one PT test would be admin separated. They had been doing the Fitness Enhancement Program (FEP) with various levels of effectiveness. I assigned one of our Ensigns (O1) (former Academy linebacker who is a PT beast) to lead the FEP sessions. FEP went from 3 days a week (M, W, F) to 5 days (M, T, Th, F, Sa morning at 0800). In the spring cycle 2016 we had 1 who failed the body fat taping and was separated, in the fall cycle (which just ended Friday), we had zero. Average weight loss is 18 pounds, most of them did far better than the minimum on the test.

Now, did I direct this because of a slide or report? No, I could really care less that in the annual report we send to our ISIC that about 9-10 pages in I will have one line saying what our PT pass/fail and separation related rates was. I am really happy that I have 10 Sailors still onboard who otherwise would have been shown the door within 45 days and only their GI Bill (no severance for PT separation). Had they wanted out, all they had to do was tank the test, none of them did ... that tells me they wanted to stay. Were they happy about coming in on a Saturday to PT, most weren't but I had one tell me on Friday that she is much happier to have lost some Saturday mornings than she would have been had she been separated during the holidays.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    The Voice of Reason