Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Female hair standards

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    It's a little different as a tech school instructor because the students aren't our "troops" and we handle more of the academic discipline while the rest of the discipline goes up the chain.
    Fair enough.

Is there a difference in that role between military and civilian instructors?
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Corn rows, dude. Corn rows.
    I've always heard them called corn rolls...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    I'm not gonna pre-clear all my decisions...maybe if it's something major, but this doesn't sound like it is, to me.

I'll make the call and live with it either way...I think some people get too butt-hurt over being overturned at a higher level.

It's not personal..just a difference of opinion and I'm completely fine with that. There is no way every one above me in the chain of command will make the same subjective decision the same way.

Now, I would have to say that I already had a good working relationship with my troop and it was no big deal.
    I normally would do the same thing. IMO with a potential EO issue, best to have someone looped in.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    I've seen this sort of issue too, and 9 out of 10 times it was with black women.. Whether cause of corn-rolls or some other hair styling, but the regs never seemed to address it and the EO culture seemed to be 'whites don't correct blacks'..
    Uniform regulation update in 2014 specifically addressed it, they are authorized.

White personnel can definitely correct black personnel, just have to be sure that whoever is doing the correcting understands the regulation &/or local policy. A subordinate command or individual can't change the specific guidance of a senior ... Without approval.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    Fair enough.

Is there a difference in that role between military and civilian instructors?
    No, not really. Instructors, military or civilian, are pretty powerless for anything other than academic issues. We can really only send the students to the NCOIC (principal's) office and suggest that they do paperwork. Then, if our NCOIC decides to do paperwork, he has to send it to the MTLs (Military Training Leaders-NCOs at the dorms who are supposed to be the disciplinary part) and hope that they give a shit that we did paperwork. Most of the time they will just scrap the paperwork, sometimes right in front of the students.

It's been that way as long as I can remember and nobody has ever done anything about it. For us, as instructors, we can do all the paperwork and discipline we want but if the students pass the tests then we won't get support to do anything but graduate them.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    I've always heard them called corn rolls...
    Well, you heard wrong. If you look at the way a corn field is laid out in rows, then look at the hairstyle, it makes sense. Unless the people you are seeing have hairdos that look like corn muffins or something.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Oh, and Mod...you're welcome for someone starting a thread actually related to a military issue!!!

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post

White personnel can definitely correct black personnel, just have to be sure that whoever is doing the correcting understands the regulation &/or local policy. A subordinate command or individual can't change the specific guidance of a senior ... Without approval.
    You mean NCOs are allowed to handle NCO business as long as they've cleared it with a Field Grade officer first? Gee how efficient!

Now I can see why 1/2 of the black kids at MacDill are running around in uniform with 2 weeks of stubble on their face!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oh, and Mod...you're welcome for someone starting a thread actually related to a military issue!!!
    Thanks ... please do more often.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    You mean NCOs are allowed to handle NCO business as long as they've cleared it with a Field Grade officer first? Gee how efficient!
    Not sure when the 1stSgt or equal opportunity officer became a field grade officer.