Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NCAA Rules Prohibit Army Vet Because of Poor High School

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    Much ado about nothing. He can take a redshirt. Still practices with the team this year & has 4 years of eligibility left afterwards.

If he plays his cards right he can graduate with a masters.
    True. I think he has about a year of academic work done. He could milk the scholarship.

Kind of too bad that a not bad kid, smart enough to keep up and do the school work would get sidelined essentially because of his zip code in high school.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    Yeah. Highly favorable results that the Sailors feel the results are truly anonymous.
    I guess I'll have to believe you...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    I guess I'll have to believe you...
    Kind of saw that coming

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Kind of saw that coming
    Of course...I mean, if you'd really done the survey and had the results you expected, I'm sure you would have let me know right away...you know...to rub it in a little?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Of course...I mean, if you'd really done the survey and had the results you expected, I'm sure you would have let me know right away...you know...to rub it in a little?
    Nah, no desire to 'rub it in'. In part it is too easy to see that if the result did not match what you thought it would you would either think I was lying or didn't do it. Is kind of moot really ... very Trumpesque.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Kind of too bad that a not bad kid, smart enough to keep up and do the school work would get sidelined essentially because of his zip code in high school.
    He didn't get sidelined "because of his zip code in high school". He got sidelined because he didn't meet the eligibility requirements. And eligibility requirements are there for a reason. (intended to maximize graduation rates).

The part the WaPo fish wrapper leaves out is that, In addition to the GPA and SAT requirement you also have to take certain core classes in high school to be eligible. If not, then he take can a red-shirt season, or go to Juco (like my son did) & just because he took a few on-line basket weaving classes at UMUC doesn't mean he's gonna pass statistics in college.

He should have to meet the same standards for eligibility that the 460,000 other NCAA student-athletes have to meet. no more, no less.
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 10-08-2016 at 02:15 AM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Nah, no desire to 'rub it in'. In part it is too easy to see that if the result did not match what you thought it would you would either think I was lying or didn't do it. Is kind of moot really ... very Trumpesque.
    lol...very...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    He didn't get sidelined "because of his zip code in high school". He got sidelined because he didn't meet the eligibility requirements.
    He didn't have great grades, good enough had he gone to a different high school. The eligibility requirements based on the school he went to (which is based on where he lived) deem him ineligible, regardless of if he had a 2.0 or a 4.0:

Part of the reason the NCAA has ruled Brock ineligible isn’t even solely because of his high school grades (Brock averaged about a 2.0, according to the Detroit Free Press) but because of the state of the high school itself, CBS Sports reports.

He attended Baltimore’s Forest Park High, which, according to U.S. News and World Report, scores just a six out of 100 possible points in its ability to prepare students for college-level academia. This means that even if Brock had graduated in the top 10 percent of his class, his “college readiness” could still fall short of the NCAA’s freshman-eligibility requirements.
    I don't think we know if it was underwater basket weaving (more liberal arts I am sure) or physics ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Post got cut in half:

I could really care less about the sports aspect, red shirting and what not, the sports aspect just highlighted the issue.

The fact that we have public high schools that are considered so poorly performing that if you graduate from there you may be ineligible to participate in NCAA sports (which may make a college less than enthusiastic to recruit you) is sad. These schools are generally concentrated in inner city areas, this contributes to the cycle of poverty that begets so many of our societal problems: poverty, social welfare draining the tax system, crime, minority unemployment, urban decay.

We provide very little chance for youth to break out of that system when the education system cannot affoard a sufficient basic education to try and better themselves.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    He didn't have great grades, good enough had he gone to a different high school. The eligibility requirements based on the school he went to (which is based on where he lived) deem him ineligible, regardless of if he had a 2.0 or a 4.0:

I don't think we know if it was underwater basket weaving (more liberal arts I am sure) or physics ...
    Rainmaker'll take take the double free odds that this kid either a: went to a high school that lost its accreditation or b: didn't take the 16 required core classes.

Anything that comes out of "The Detroit Free Press", which is a very liberally biased paper, or Jeff Bezos' WaPo, which is no better today than Soviet era Pravda, has to be taken with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 10-08-2016 at 02:56 AM.