Thread: Navy scuttles traditional enlisted rating system

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Navy scuttles traditional enlisted rating system

WASHINGTON — The Navy has scrapped its two-century-old enlisted ratings system that identified sailors by their occupation and military rank in a plan to provide them greater career flexibility, the service announced Thursday. Enlisted sailors will now be addressed only by their attained military rank, similar to how servicemembers in the other military branches are recognized. For example, a sailor previously addressed as yeoman second class, or YN2, will now simply be called petty officer second class, Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy Steven S. Giordano said.
    Sailors in paygrades E-1 through E-3 will be addressed as seaman. Sailors in paygrades E-4 through E-6 will be called petty officer third class, second class and first class, respectively. Sailors in the senior enlisted paygrades of E-7 through E-9 will be addressed as chief, senior chief and master chief, respectively.
    Interesting...

As long as they were changing though...they should've done away with "Seaman" and replaced it with "Sailor" or something.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    Interesting...

As long as they were changing though...they should've done away with "Seaman" and replaced it with "Sailor" or something.
    Really? That would be like replacing "Airman" with "Flier" or something.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Really? That would be like replacing "Airman" with "Flier" or something.
    Not quite.

In the AF 'Airman' serves dual purpose...is it the term of address for junior enlisted, and is the general term for all AF personnel.

In the Navy, 'Seaman' is the term of address for junior enlisted...but 'Sailor' is the general term for all Navy personnel. I suppose Seaman can be used for both, but normally see Sailor.

So, changing Seaman to Sailor would be more like aligning with the same thing the AF does with the term Airman....c'mon, no one wants to be called Seaman.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Not quite.

In the AF 'Airman' serves dual purpose...is it the term of address for junior enlisted, and is the general term for all AF personnel.

In the Navy, 'Seaman' is the term of address for junior enlisted...but 'Sailor' is the general term for all Navy personnel. I suppose Seaman can be used for both, but normally see Sailor.

So, changing Seaman to Sailor would be more like aligning with the same thing the AF does with the term Airman....c'mon, no one wants to be called Seaman.
    You are what you eat????

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    You are what you eat????
    I see what you did there..

Heyoh.jpg
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Interesting...

On the removal of ratings, i knew plenty of people when in, who were saying that a lot. Just go to PO2, rather than MS2 or YN2..
    But doing away with seaman? why is that to be 'gender neutral'>?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    But doing away with seaman? why is that to be 'gender neutral'>?
    Haha, no...because it sounds like 'semen'
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

All in the name of "Experience"!!!

So, the next time a Sailor (or should I say Petty Officer) goes into the medical clinic for an in-grown toenail etc., the individual performing this minor surgery might be a sub-mariner just so they can get the career experience/check in the block. That's brilliant!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaLawyer View Post
    So, the next time a Sailor (or should I say Petty Officer) goes into the medical clinic for an in-grown toenail etc., the individual performing this minor surgery might be a sub-mariner just so they can get the career experience/check in the block. That's brilliant!!!
    Sailors are still called Sailors. Job tasks (minor surgery, 3M, etc.) would still need to be completed by someone who has completed training for that job and been awarded the Navy Occupational Specialty (NOS). Some probably will have OJT-able aspects ... probably not those that could harm people or equipment.

BT BT

IRT the NAVADMIN message, I don’t quite buy in with the ‘packaging’/’messaging’ that this will really provide flexibility in assignments for Sailors:

- NOS’s (ratings) defined a particular set of basic skills, which generally served as feeders for more advanced skills. Apprentice begets journeyman, journeyman begets expert etc. The way I am understanding this, NOS’s will still (generally) be the product of formal training (A-schools).

-I don’t see too many Sailors with an NOS that is not compatible with a journeyman level NEC or qualification being able to attain those qualifications (NEC’s) without first obtaining the skills that are defined by possessing the basic NOS. Essentially, Sailors will still mostly be stove-piped into a set or groups of skills, except they will now be defined by an NOS vice a rating; there will be sporadic exceptions to this rule, but by and large I don’t see how this will widely change how we make personnel assignments.

-This suspiciously seems like a way to mask the gender-norming of job titles with the theme of improved flexibility in assignments.

BT BT

the announcements release was incredibly ill-performed. Virtually no advance notice to Commanders or Senior Enlisted. No plan, funding, or POA&Ms on changing all the paperwork and references in admin, maintenance or other issues to change references to ratings ...
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.