Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Rapists, false accusations and the like

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Don't think anybody is saying it does.
    I'm not so sure of that.

The problem is the failure of people to realize that they can avoid most situations that put them in danger. Should they have to? Of course not. In an ideal world we'd all be able to go anywhere and do anything.
    I'm not one of those people...

However, what we are teaching people now is dangerous. We're teaching young girls that they can dress how they want and act how they want.
    I've never said that...I tell my daughters all the time to be careful of their surroundings, don't get drunk, go in a group, etc.

Of course they SHOULD be able to but that's not the reality. To continue to tell them that it's not their fault is a failure on the part of those who are protecting them. Teach them, instead, that their actions have consequences. If someone's daughter, or someone's friend, dresses slutty and goes out, don't describe it as the woman being "empowered"...describe it as the woman being stupid and putting herself in danger.
    You seem to keep replying to some mythical point that I'm not making...nowhere in any of comments have I said any of this.

All I'm saying is...if a girl is passed out in the middle of an alley naked with sexy red lipstick on...and some guy comes and puts his penis in her...the guy is guilty of rape.

Of course, I would advise women not to do that...but the guy is still a rapist.
    Last edited by Bos Mutus; 09-21-2016 at 10:21 PM.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    Young girls should be able to dress how they want. Young girls should be able to dance how they want etc.
    Agree...they SHOULD be able to...and I should be able to walk through Compton and feel safe...but it's not gonna happen...so I avoid walking through Compton.

I don't like it that some women lead men on, but if a young woman says "no" or is incapacitated and cannot say "no" absolutely no amount of how slutty she dresses or dances makes the actions of someone assaulting her after that point okay.
    We also agree 100% on this.

It isn't their fault that someone else broke the law and made them the victim. There could have been better decision making up to that point, but it in no way makes it their fault.
    Semantics.

So tell them to take a shower, clean up, shrug it off and move on ... cause, you know ... you wore a miniskirt. Maybe we solve the problem by encouraging women to wear burkas, since that works to solve the sexual assault issue in the Middle East so well.
    Nobody is saying this.

Being in the position you've been in in the military, you realize that there are places that Commanders make "off limits", right? And if troops go in those areas and something happens to them, they are still punished for being in an off limits area. Now, why should you have to create those off limits areas? And if something happens to them in that area, why should the troop receive that discipline/punishment?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    All I'm saying is...if a girl is passed out in the middle of an alley naked with sexy red lipstick on...and some guy comes and puts his penis in her...the guy is guilty of rape.

Of course, I would advise women not to do that...but the guy is still a rapist.
    Again, I don't see anybody disagreeing with any of this.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Again, I don't see anybody disagreeing with any of this.
    Okay...so since you agree with me, you figured you'd just keep replying to disagree with a point I didn't make?
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Key Word: "TV Show." Of course they are going to slant the story to draw the most attention. Likewise, why in the heck would this baffoon have any reason to run (as the police report states) if he didn't do anything wrong???

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Okay...so since you agree with me, you figured you'd just keep replying to disagree with a point I didn't make?
    No...I agree that rape is wrong and there is never an excuse to do it...where we disagree is you seem to think that there is no situation where the victim plays a role in the assault.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    No...I agree that rape is wrong and there is never an excuse to do it...where we disagree is you seem to think that there is no situation where the victim plays a role in the assault.
    im not sure we even disagree, really....if anything it's just a disagreement on the nuance....you seem to push a little more of the blame on the victim while I push more of it to the perpetrator.

The phrase "plays a role in the assault" is a bit problematic, I think. Not sure what that means, exactly.

Should women excercise caution in getting drunk....absolutely. Should they exercise ,ore caution around frat boys then they do at a girls home party...of course

ive said this many times.

Is being vulnerable "playing a role" in an assault? If you choose not to carry a concealed firearm, did you "play a role" in being held up at knifepoint? I know some people who always carry....I suppose it's a matter of quantifying the risk and what we deem acceptable vs unacceptable risk

If you choose not to have a home security system or a big dog....do you "play a role" in a home break in? What if you live in s good or bad neighborhood?

I suppose there is a reasonable level of self protection we all expect to take....we don't see it at the same place.

None of it makes the bad guy any less guilty. Yes, any thinking person should consider the level of risk in bad guys being around. I'm much more careful getting drunk in Tijuana than I am in my home town. It would indeed be dumb to in Tijuana what I do at home,let's say.
    Last edited by Bos Mutus; 09-22-2016 at 03:33 AM.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    im not sure we even disagree, really....if anything it's just a disagreement on the nuance....you seem to push a little more of the blame on the victim while I push more of it to the perpetrator.

The phrase "plays a role in the assault" is a bit problematic, I think. Not sure what that means, exactly.

Should women excercise caution in getting drunk....absolutely. Should they exercise ,ore caution around frat boys then they do at a girls home party...of course

ive said this many times.

Is being vulnerable "playing a role" in an assault? If you choose not to carry a concealed firearm, did you "play a role" in being held up at knifepoint? I know some people who always carry....I suppose it's a matter of quantifying the risk and what we deem acceptable vs unacceptable risk

If you choose not to have a home security system or a big dog....do you "play a role" in a home break in? What if you live in s good or bad neighborhood?

I suppose there is a reasonable level of self protection we all expect to take....we don't see it at the same place.

None of it makes the bad guy any less guilty. Yes, any thinking person should consider the level of risk in bad guys being around. I'm much more careful getting drunk in Tijuana than I am in my home town. It would indeed be dumb to in Tijuana what I do at home,let's say.

Yep, our biggest disagreement is always semantics...

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post

I would argue that I don't have my head in the sand but we have had very different service backgrounds. I spent my 12 years in the Marine Corps in the infantry, very little interaction with females, none in our companies or battalions. I was familiar with a handful of sexual assault cases in that time. I had a fellow Marine in my Platoon who was accused of sexual assault by a female Marine from a different unit so he stayed in our unit, the command was neutral about the issue. He was acquitted, went on with his career. He retired as a 1stSgt ... he wasn't ostracized. Knowing I am opening up a bee's hive when I say this, I think part of it may be that based on my experiences with the Marines and the other services, the Marines tend to be very professional vice a lot of what I saw from Air Force commands.

In the Navy, there are fewer females than in the Air Force as well. .

Well, Rainmaker's started out in Field Artillery at Fort Hood TX. (all male MOS). After 3 1/2 years, Separated following his return from Desert Storm and then spending the next 6 months changing tires in a shithole garage in Waco and Mrs. Rainmaker getting pregnant

.........Rainmaker somehow managed to hoodwink the AF recruiter into taking him & then spent The next 6 years as an Airborne Radio Operator, in Operational Sqs that were probably > 95% male.......

So, To make a long story longer..........Got permanently DNIF'd for an irregular heartbeat (proving I have one?!) then, Re-trained and did 13 more in a largely civilianized career field.......

However, did deploy 6 more times for OEF/OIF (4 of them joint), including 2 as a first sergeant, so I'm quite familiar with the effects women can and do have on esprit de corps and the multitude of benefits they'll provide to a unit's cohesion and mission effectiveness (just by the very act of, being around).

Now, My OPINION (& take it FWIW) Is that any senior leader that thinks putting Women in Combat Arms is actually a good idea, Is either A: a PC hack bootlicking kiss ass, posing as a General Officer or B: Has had their lips wrapped around the Koolaide cup, so fucking far and for so fucking long, that they've inadvertently turned themselves into a special breed of Moron.
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 09-22-2016 at 06:47 PM.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Not everyone who makes out with you agrees to fuck you.

The burden of proof is supposed to be on the accuser, with standard for conviction being hard evidence that leads you to conclude BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT.

So, right or wrong or indifferent.... If a floosey goes out and gets sloppy drunk, wearing a pair of pants so tight that you can see the little man in the boat thru them, Goes home at 2AM, with a dude she's been dry humping all night, (who's also impaired)......... Well then there's gonna be REASONABLE DOUBT when she wakes up tomorrow and suddenly cries rape.
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 09-22-2016 at 04:09 PM.