Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38

Thread: Black Lives Matter, but only if they're American

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    626
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Black Lives Matter, but only if they're American

    http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/06/opinio...ion/index.html

    I'm glad someone addressed this issue. But I'm sure someone who supports the BLM movement will say "because BLM is about police violence" - well why can't it be more? Why can't it address all violence against black lives? Or is this right and people just view those lives in third world countries as sub-human? I hear soo much about black "culture" and heritage and yet I have not met a black person who even embraces their African ancestry nor discusses it nor knows anything about it.

  2. #2
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sparks82 View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/06/opinio...ion/index.html

    I'm glad someone addressed this issue. But I'm sure someone who supports the BLM movement will say "because BLM is about police violence" - well why can't it be more? Why can't it address all violence against black lives? Or is this right and people just view those lives in third world countries as sub-human? I hear soo much about black "culture" and heritage and yet I have not met a black person who even embraces their African ancestry nor discusses it nor knows anything about it.
    The difference being that, in most of the African countries, the leaders are black, the police force is black, the militias are black, so it's hard to blame it on (as Rainmaker would say) whitey.

    And, let's be honest...most folks don't care about anyone outside of their neighborhood...white or black.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    626
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    The difference being that, in most of the African countries, the leaders are black, the police force is black, the militias are black, so it's hard to blame it on (as Rainmaker would say) whitey.

    And, let's be honest...most folks don't care about anyone outside of their neighborhood...white or black.
    I care - I just don't have the resources to do anything about it. When I had money, I donated it to different charities (and apparently my family and friends and my ex. I wish I could claim those on my tax returns).

  4. #4
    Senior Member Bos Mutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,554
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sparks82 View Post
    I care - I just don't have the resources to do anything about it. When I had money, I donated it to different charities (and apparently my family and friends and my ex. I wish I could claim those on my tax returns).

    The average clothing manufacturing worker in Bangladesh makes $38 per month.
    The Voice of Reason

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    626
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    The average clothing manufacturing worker in Bangladesh makes $38 per month.
    Your point?

  6. #6
    Senior Member Bos Mutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,554
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sparks82 View Post
    Your point?
    Your notion that you don't have money to be charitable or resources to help out is a first world problem.

    If you were thinking globally, you would realize you are beyond wealthy.
    The Voice of Reason

  7. #7
    Senior Member Rainmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    on a Marl Road
    Posts
    3,882
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sparks82 View Post
    Your point?
    His point is that Every American should be perfectly willing to live in a Tin shack and work for slave wages.

    Because, only when the evil and racist bourgeois has been destroyed and the average American's standard of living resembles that of his Nicaraguan brothers (in the global village) will we be able to know true happiness!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, ohio
    Posts
    3,326
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    The difference being that, in most of the African countries, the leaders are black, the police force is black, the militias are black, so it's hard to blame it on (as Rainmaker would say) whitey.

    And, let's be honest...most folks don't care about anyone outside of their neighborhood...white or black.
    That bolded part is imo the biggest part. What goes on in other countries is often, NOT seen as important as what goes on here.. So 1000s of deaths there is not registering anywhere near as muc as 1 thug shot by a cop does.. ESPECIALLY to the media.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    Or maybe... just maybe... it's because we're here in America, can only affect laws here in America. There's a BLM movement in the UK, too. And black Brits are all over it.
    Yea, and they shut down London airport and have doen the same to several motorways... Not caring that many of those who were affected by their antics at the airport, WERE fellow blacks flying to African nations.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Rusty Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    3,936
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sparks82 View Post
    [URL]I'm glad someone addressed this issue. But I'm sure someone who supports the BLM movement will say "because BLM is about police violence" - well why can't it be more? Why can't it address all violence against black lives? Or is this right and people just view those lives in third world countries as sub-human?
    Or maybe... just maybe... it's because we're here in America, can only affect laws here in America. There's a BLM movement in the UK, too. And black Brits are all over it.

    In Africa, their issue isn't racism - it's tribalism. In Latin America, people tend to see their ethnicity as one that transcends race... so Brazilians likely don't perceive race the same way Americans do to begin with.

    I hear soo much about black "culture" and heritage and yet I have not met a black person who even embraces their African ancestry nor discusses it nor knows anything about it.
    Oh, more retarded sparkisms. Yay...
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

  10. #10
    Senior Member Bos Mutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,554
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sparks82 View Post
    - well why can't it be more? Why can't it address all violence against black lives? Or is this right and people just view those lives in third world countries as sub-human?

    This is such a disingenuous criticism of any organization.

    Why isn't Susan G Komen foundation for all cancers? Why do they hate or not care about other cancer patients?

    Why isn't Save the Whales out there protecting all mammals...or all animals...why can't they do more? Why aren't tortoises important to them?

    Its silly...the organization formed to address a specific problem they perceived. Just because their name and motto sounds broad doesn't mean they have to be all things to all black people.

    [sarcasm] I mean, if Black Lives Matter, why aren't they donating research funds for sickle-cell anemia
    Maybe a better question is with your obvious concern for the well-being of the Congo...why aren't you on a plane there right now to help out? Shouldn't you be doing more?[/sarcasm]
    The Voice of Reason

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •