Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tim Tebow lands first offer since baseball workout

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Tim Tebow lands first offer since baseball workout

Scouts may have torn apart Tim Tebow’s baseball stokes yesterday in Southern California, but at least one team was impressed.
    The Bridgeport Bluefish of the Atlantic League formally offered Tebow a contract Wednesday, asking the former quarterback to excite crowds and begin his career at The Ballpark at Harbor Yard.

“The Bluefish welcome Tim with open arms,” Bluefish GM Jamie Toole said in a release. “The Atlantic League is all about giving players opportunity, and we think Bridgeport would be a great place for him to begin his professional baseball career.”

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/ti...192430470.html
    Doubt he'll ever make it to the bigs, but he can probably run around the minors for a few years...no doubt he'll fill some seats for whichever team signs him.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    Doubt he'll ever make it to the bigs, but he can probably run around the minors for a few years...no doubt he'll fill some seats for whichever team signs him.
    Never say never. Look at Michael Jordan and Ozzie Canseco. Anything can happen.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    Never say never. Look at Michael Jordan and Ozzie Canseco. Anything can happen.
    I'm certainly not saying "never"...but, not sure what your implying by looking at those two.

Don't think Jordan ever made the bigs either...played a little in the minors and helped fill some seats...so, yeah, I see this as probably doing about the same...Tebow might even be a better baseball player.

Not sure what you're talking about with Canseco...the other Canseco played a few games in the majors...but he was a baseball player.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tebow might even be a better baseball player

Tebow was an outstanding High School player. He was a year ahead of my oldest son and was touching 95 as a LHP his Junior year. He quit baseball and didn't even play his Senior year. But, he would've probably been a 1st round draft pick

It'd be a stretch to think anyone could play at that level after a 12 year layoff. But, that dude is a freak
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 09-02-2016 at 05:16 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'm certainly not saying "never"...but, not sure what your implying by looking at those two.

Don't think Jordan ever made the bigs either...played a little in the minors and helped fill some seats...so, yeah, I see this as probably doing about the same...Tebow might even be a better baseball player.
    I know he played for a minor league team affiliated with the White Sox, but I could've sworn I've seen a 1994 Topps baseball card with him wearing an actual White Sox uniform. If I recall correctly, he was actually at bat and not actually posing for the photo. Then again, I saw this card over 20 years ago, so maybe my memory is off.

Not sure what you're talking about with Canseco...the other Canseco played a few games in the majors...but he was a baseball player.
    I don't know if Michael Jordan was even good enough to play minor league ball. Ozzie Canseco only lasted a season with the A's - he just wasn't major league material.

But you know what they both had? Connections. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Tebow has some too.

But... maybe you're right that Tebow is going to have a more difficult path. Why should he make it into the major league, when he can't even make it in the sport he originally played? Canseco was actually PROMOTED to the major leagues; and Michael Jordan was still making things happen in the NBA.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    Tebow was an outstanding High School player. He was a year ahead of my oldest son and was touching 95 as a LHP his Junior year. He quit baseball and didn't even play his Senior year. But, he would've probably been a 1st round draft pick
    Sounds like he was pretty good...an outstanding HS player can typically jump right in a Single A ball...AAA is a lot different, though.

It'd be a stretch to think anyone could play at that level after a 12 year layoff. But, that dude is a freak
    I don't doubt he can knock around for a little while

I know he played for a minor league team affiliated with the White Sox, but I could've sworn I've seen a 1994 Topps baseball card with him wearing an actual White Sox uniform. If I recall correctly, he was actually at bat and not actually posing for the photo. Then again, I saw this card over 20 years ago, so maybe my memory is off.
    I think he went to training camp and maybe played in an exhibition preseason game with the Sox split squads or something.

I don't know if Michael Jordan was even good enough to play minor league ball. Ozzie Canseco only lasted a season with the A's - he just wasn't major league material.
    Well, Ozzie was good enough, I reckon, to at least get called up....I don't think he was called up only because he was Jose's brother...

I guess what I'm saying is a minor league team might bring on Jordan or Tebow whether they can legit play at that level or not, simply because their star power will fill seats....the major leagues won't do that.

But you know what they both had? Connections. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Tebow has some too.

But... maybe you're right that Tebow is going to have a more difficult path. Why should he make it into the major league, when he can't even make it in the sport he originally played? Canseco was actually PROMOTED to the major leagues; and Michael Jordan was still making things happen in the NBA.
    I don't think I said he'll have a more difficult path...I just don't think he'll make the majors.

Not many other 29 year olds who haven't played since HS could conjure up a tryout and have 40+ scouts show up...so, yeah, name recognition gets him an advantage. Even if he's not truly skilled enough to play in the minors, he'll get to because he will fill up some seats...same as Jordan...a minor league team can afford to do that...not enough spots on a major league team, OTOH, maybe he is a good enough player to legit play at the AA or even AAA level...still, I don't think you get to the majors without being the best available skillset the big club needs to win.

I never saw the guy play...but, there's just so many great players that have been working at the game for 10 years to think he can just jump in there...baseball is skill as much as athletic talent. I do think a minor league team would bring him on to fill seats, whether he's earned a legit spot or not.

My prediction for him is that he ends up in Double-A for a couple years...makes a play here and there, but not consistently enough to get to AAA.
    Last edited by Bos Mutus; 09-02-2016 at 05:58 PM.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Sounds like he was pretty good
    He was a projected first round pick. Which means that he would've been Top 40 in the world for his class.

My son was playing baseball in Gainesville, at the time Tebow was there, and his friends on the football team told him that the coaches wouldn't let Tebow do any upper body weights because he was getting too big. Rumor was the kid was benching almost 500lbs.

...AAA is a lot different, though
    They say that Double A actually has the highest talent level.

My prediction for him is that he ends up in Double-A for a couple years...makes a play here and there, but not consistently enough to get to AAA
    It's a publicity stunt, just to get some butts in seats.. He's almost 30 years old. I give it a season (if that)
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 09-02-2016 at 08:22 PM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I could see him lasting 2-3 seasons..

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Jordan did sign a contract with the White Sox as it was owned by the Bulls owner. He played 17 games for the White Sox before they sent him to their minor league team. He played minor league ball for a year and then came back to the Bulls in 95.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    After working out for a number of teams at a showcase last month, the 29-year-old former NFL quarterback and Heisman Trophy winner will begin his pro baseball career in the Mets organization, as the team has signed him to a minor-league deal.
    To the Mets Instructional League...
    The Voice of Reason