Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is right wing extremism and racism more common in the military than in the US in gene

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Is right wing extremism and racism more common in the military than in the US in gene

It's no secret that the majority of the military leans right. But... combine that with the bravado that's inherent in serving in the military, and the results are pretty scary.

The "Popular Military" Facebook group posted this article:

The victim was 71 years old; and the article doesn't even show photos of the victims or say their names. Clearly, we don't know what race the victims were. That didn't stop the following comments from being made:

Now the two above are pretty interesting. Look at how the commenter got 11 likes. Somebody calls him out, and he has zero likes. The commenter replies back and gets six likes.
    Last edited by Rusty Jones; 09-02-2016 at 04:07 PM.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Here's more:

Granted, you're going to see stuff like this everywhere you go on facebook. However... military groups seem to be more saturated with it, with very few - if anyone - calling them out.

Army and Marine Corps pages tend to be the worst. Marine Corps pages tend to have the most vile comments of the two services; however, they're also more likely to get called out than on Army pages.

I want to point out that, if I agree with only one thing that's being said by the commenters (and I only DO agree with ONE thing); it's that the carjacker needs to face justice. But that's it.

Sparks82 said something to me about thinking that everyone is out to get the black men (which I've neither said, nor implied), but I'm gonna need her to consider this: I'm 36 years old, and I can only count on one hand the number of times someone has either said something blatantly racist to my face or knowingly said it in my presence. But it's all over the internet.

What does this mean? That the very same people posting this stuff on facebook are the very same people who smile in my face and are very congenial during daily casual interaction. Any one of my white friends or coworkers (and, yes, I say friends - because if you look at some of these profiles, they have black friends who likely aren't aware of what's going on) could be saying or thinking these things; and I have no way of knowing who they are, other than finding out inadvertantly.

Pretty scary thought, isn't it?
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post

What does this mean?
    It means that anger is finally boiling over, after decades of rampant black on white crime, blacks constantly playing the race card and making obviously untrue BS accusations of racism, the media blaming it all on whites and worst of all...... Self-loathing, white progs who keep screaming that everyone else is just supposed to continue tolerating this crap or else they're a bunch of far right, red neck racists.
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 09-02-2016 at 04:46 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Anyone else besides Rainmaker? Hell, I'll even take WJ5 doing more than hiding behind "likes" on Rainmaker's comments.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Anyone else besides Rainmaker? Hell, I'll even take WJ5 doing more than hiding behind "likes" on Rainmaker's comments.

It's disgusting, but I don't think it means anything different than anywhere else. These posts could have been on any Youtube comment section or online gaming comment section.

As far as what it means to the people who smile to your face and make these comments behind your back, I'm pretty sure it goes both ways. I'm sure that when the black guys I work with get together with their buddies, they aren't as cordial as they are when they are forced to be.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Are you looking for affirmation on your suspicion that racism exists?

Sure.

Whether or not its more common in the military than in general population, I'm not so sure about.

Yes, I've heard military members say racist things when it's just us white guys around that they wouldn't say in a mixed group, but I think you might be overestimating the general population. Overall, I like to believe most of us are educated beyond that moreso than the general population.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    It's disgusting, but I don't think it means anything different than anywhere else. These posts could have been on any Youtube comment section or online gaming comment section.
    True, but with the rise of the alt-right, there's going to be a disproportionate impact on the military.

As far as what it means to the people who smile to your face and make these comments behind your back, I'm pretty sure it goes both ways. I'm sure that when the black guys I work with get together with their buddies, they aren't as cordial as they are when they are forced to be.
    That's probably only true at work, but not in general. For example, if you went to the bar with a black friend and had a couple drinks and discussed race; I can assure you, everything he's said in the absence of whites, he's saying in your presence too. The only exception to that would probably be the promotion of Afrocentric Revisionism (which Buddy Holly was alluding to with the "we wuz kangz" hashtag) - and I can't really estimate how many African Americans actually believe in that stuff, because the ones who don't... appear to be afraid to speak up (I'm one of the few who are not).

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    Are you looking for affirmation on your suspicion that racism exists?

Sure.

Whether or not its more common in the military than in general population, I'm not so sure about.
    As I've said earlier, the majority of the military is conservative. This means that the rise of the alt-right is going to a have a disproportionate effect on the military.

Yes, I've heard military members say racist things when it's just us white guys around that they wouldn't say in a mixed group, but I think you might be overestimating the general population. Overall, I like to believe most of us are educated beyond that moreso than the general population.
    You can't college-educate your way out of racism. I think that "educated beyond the general population" would depend on how you look at it anyway. For example, there may be a lower percentage of high school dropouts in the military; but if I had to place a bet, I'd say there's a lower percentage of PhD's too. And there are probably VERY FEW officers in the military who earned their bachelor's degrees from schools that are more prestigious than the service academies. I only know of two: when I was on the USS STOUT (DDG 55), we had a Harvard grad and an MIT grad (why the FUCK they would go active duty military with those kinds of degrees boggles my mind).

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    As I've said earlier, the majority of the military is conservative. This means that the rise of the alt-right is going to a have a disproportionate effect on the military.
    Perhaps.

You can't college-educate your way out of racism. I think that "educated beyond the general population" would depend on how you look at it anyway. For example, there may be a lower percentage of high school dropouts in the military; but if I had to place a bet, I'd say there's a lower percentage of PhD's too. And there are probably VERY FEW officers in the military who earned their bachelor's degrees from schools that are more prestigious than the service academies. I only know of two: when I was on the USS STOUT (DDG 55), we had a Harvard grad and an MIT grad (why the FUCK they would go active duty military with those kinds of degrees boggles my mind).
    I wasn't necessarily thinking academic education...but education in living and working in a more diverse community, being exposed to different people etc. whereas civilians are more likely to stay in the same community they grew up in and not encounter other kinds of people...or to be in more segregated communities
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Granted, you're going to see stuff like this everywhere you go on facebook. However... military groups seem to be more saturated with it, with very few - if anyone - calling them out.
    Army and Marine Corps pages tend to be the worst. Marine Corps pages tend to have the most vile comments of the two services; however, they're also more likely to get called out than on Army pages.

I want to point out that, if I agree with only one thing that's being said by the commenters (and I only DO agree with ONE thing); it's that the carjacker needs to face justice. But that's it.
    Some of the comments are racist, several of the comments don't really have anything to do with race or racism:

OOHRAH

Seven shots into that Marine just pissed him off.

Semper Fi and get well soon.

Sparks82 said something to me about thinking that everyone is out to get the black men (which I've neither said, nor implied), but I'm gonna need her to consider this: I'm 36 years old, and I can only count on one hand the number of times someone has either said something blatantly racist to my face or knowingly said it in my presence. But it's all over the internet.
    I don't think you have ever directly said that, implied ... maybe.

You are right, people (in general) are much less 'filtered' on the internet than they are publically

What does this mean? That the very same people posting this stuff on facebook are the very same people who smile in my face and are very congenial during daily casual interaction. Any one of my white friends or coworkers (and, yes, I say friends - because if you look at some of these profiles, they have black friends who likely aren't aware of what's going on) could be saying or thinking these things; and I have no way of knowing who they are, other than finding out inadvertantly.
    I think you would find that some people who are congenial to your face are probably racists. I think I would find the same thing that there are probably black people who are congenial at work but have anti-white views, or people who are polite to me because I am the XO but really don't like me.

I don't know if the groups you are looking at are really representative of the (current) military. I see much of what you talk about on social media ... I note that many who post questionable content are not currently in the military, some are veterans of recent service ... some have pretty dated DD214's. The social media groups I belong to are probably not a good cross service of the military (USMC Recon associated, infantry, special operations) but I don't see any like this. I saw a lot of discussion on Colin Kaepernick, but none got racist, I also saw a lot ... A LOT of intelligent conversation about his right to sit during the national anthem.

So to answer your question, do I think the military is a safe haven of closeted racists? No. Do I think there are racists? Yes, some white, some black. Unlike the 60's, 70's or 80's, people can't be openly racist and walk between the raindrops in our system any longer. I think general society today is less concerned about race than when we were kids; a by product of this is that the general military population (which is a reflection of society) is less concerned about race. What I do think is that the people that are caught up on race (white and black) are far more polarized than what I remember from when I was a kid; people either thinking that every slight or bad deal is based on their race or an effort to promote equality/diversity.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.