Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Swinging general slipped past security screeners

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    If one spends 6+ hours a day positing racist slurs online...who knows what else they would do?
    Define "racist slurs".
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 08-30-2016 at 03:30 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Yes...that's the point, we are all potential risks. I would think being an online racist troll is a security risk, too....maybe moreso.
    Limiting the risks is the key. Not opening yourself up to additional, abnormal risks is necessary.

...there are many many people that would fall into that...again, this is my point. The swinger thing is super-salacious so easy to single out...but, when it comes down to it...there are a lot of secrets out there that most people would prefer do not see the light of day.
    So where do you draw the line? Who should and shouldn't receive a TS/SCI? What requirements are there? Just give it to everyone?

So...just about every married person is a security risk.
    Only if someone has secrets from their spouse that they think could lead to blackmail.

Honestly, I don't understand why you're being so weird about this one. If there's ever a cut and dry situation, it's the one with this General. I'm hoping you're just playing devil's advocate.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    Define racist slurs.
    Calling the President an "Oreo"?

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Calling the President an "Oreo"?
    I'd say it's no more "racist" than calling people this...

which means that the white trash racist trailer park crowd
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 08-30-2016 at 03:39 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    No more "racist" than this...
    Don't act like you don't recognize that there's a clear distinction with comments about one's own race and comments about a different race. Even you are smarter than that.

However, it is technically racist and I'm glad that you are finally admitting that your comment was as well.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Limiting the risks is the key. Not opening yourself up to additional, abnormal risks is necessary.

So where do you draw the line? Who should and shouldn't receive a TS/SCI? What requirements are there? Just give it to everyone?

Only if someone has secrets from their spouse that they think could lead to blackmail.

Honestly, I don't understand why you're being so weird about this one. If there's ever a cut and dry situation, it's the one with this General. I'm hoping you're just playing devil's advocate.
    A little Devil's Advocate, maybe...but I see a bit of an issue that there is no actual evidence that the General would be subject to blackmail...other than maybe some OSI or whoever determines this saying, "Wow, that would embarrass me"...but, there's no indication that the General was particularly embarrassed by it or would sell the nation away to keep it a secret.

Yet..there are others who could maybe be blackmailed for far far less...it's how the person would respond to the blackmail, not the substance of the secret. He's pulled it off for 11 years...

Perhaps our enemies really have spies out there trying to find sex secrets of our Generals...but, seems kinda like a movie more than real life, to me. Could happen in theory...just not convinced its a real threat to this level.

I'm figuring the Army is going to say he hasn't served honorably in 11 years and retire him at Lt. Col...with nothing actually showing he was any real risk to security or that he would succumb to blackmail at all.

Bottom line is I think the security risk scenario is kind of trumped up for an excuse because they find his bedroom habits icky.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Don't act like you don't recognize that there's a clear distinction with comments about one's own race and comments about a different race. Even you are smarter than that.
    Go Tell it to the families of the murdered cops you demonize. Punk

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    A little Devil's Advocate, maybe...but I see a bit of an issue that there is no actual evidence that the General would be subject to blackmail...other than maybe some OSI or whoever determines this saying, "Wow, that would embarrass me"...but, there's no indication that the General was particularly embarrassed by it or would sell the nation away to keep it a secret.

Yet..there are others who could maybe be blackmailed for far far less...it's how the person would respond to the blackmail, not the substance of the secret. He's pulled it off for 11 years...

Perhaps our enemies really have spies out there trying to find sex secrets of our Generals...but, seems kinda like a movie more than real life, to me. Could happen in theory...just not convinced its a real threat to this level.

I'm figuring the Army is going to say he hasn't served honorably in 11 years and retire him at Lt. Col...with nothing actually showing he was any real risk to security or that he would succumb to blackmail at all.

Bottom line is I think the security risk scenario is kind of trumped up for an excuse because they find his bedroom habits icky.
    I hate to invoke this phrase, but we are required to teach "Risk Management" to our students on a daily basis. As I'm sure you're aware, there are always a certain amount of risks associated with our job, simply by definition. We accept the "normal" risks and have to determine what risks are outside of the norm.

Oh...and this guy will retire as a General. No doubt.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Go Tell it to the families of the murdered cops you demonize. Punk
    What? I've never demonized anyone. But "punk" is a great term. It makes me think of Clint Eastwood, who was the lead actor in "Gran Torino". He was a bigoted old white guy who constantly shouted racist slurs. Coincidence? I think not.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I hate to invoke this phrase, but we are required to teach "Risk Management" to our students on a daily basis. As I'm sure you're aware, there are always a certain amount of risks associated with our job, simply by definition. We accept the "normal" risks and have to determine what risks are outside of the norm.

Oh...and this guy will retire as a General. No doubt.
    One man's risk is another rman's opportunity.
    The Voice of Reason