Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 56

Thread: As November Approaches, Courts Deal Series Of Blows To Voter ID Laws

  1. #1
    Senior Member Bos Mutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,558
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

    As November Approaches, Courts Deal Series Of Blows To Voter ID Laws

    All summer long, the clock has been ticking on voting rights cases. Judges don't like to change voting rules too near an election, and November is creeping ever closer.
    And the past two weeks, in particular, have been eventful: Five courts in five states ruled against voter ID and proof-of-citizenship laws.
    There's still time for appeals and stays. But for now, advocates for voting access are celebrating.
    "It's been like Christmas Day," one activist told CNN on Monday.
    Supporters of voter ID laws have argued they are necessary to prevent voter fraud. But in their responses, judges consistently highlighted the rarity of voter fraud — particularly through in-person voting.

    Read more: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...-voter-id-laws
    This is an issue I always have a hard time wrapping my head around...I've never lived in a world where it is difficult to get an ID, so I don't understand it.

    North Dakota: 25% of Native Americans do not have ID? That blows my mind...but, rather than pass laws to say those people can't vote because we're afraid some illegals might also get to vote...why not work to eliminate whatever is keeping them from getting IDs first? Or is it that they don't want them? What is the issue that so many people can't or don't get IDs?

    What I'm seeing in these court decisions is that the number of legitimate people prevented from voting by Voter ID laws is many times greater than the number of fraudulent voters without the laws.
    The Voice of Reason

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    965
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    This is an issue I always have a hard time wrapping my head around...I've never lived in a world where it is difficult to get an ID, so I don't understand it.

    North Dakota: 25% of Native Americans do not have ID? That blows my mind...but, rather than pass laws to say those people can't vote because we're afraid some illegals might also get to vote...why not work to eliminate whatever is keeping them from getting IDs first? Or is it that they don't want them? What is the issue that so many people can't or don't get IDs?

    What I'm seeing in these court decisions is that the number of legitimate people prevented from voting by Voter ID laws is many times greater than the number of fraudulent voters without the laws.
    Many people on reservations simply have no need for IDs, Their neighbors and fellow tribesman know who they are and they don't deal with people who do not on anything like a regular basis.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Bos Mutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,558
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeKerriii View Post
    Many people on reservations simply have no need for IDs, Their neighbors and fellow tribesman know who they are and they don't deal with people who do not on anything like a regular basis.
    Yeah...we've had this conversation before...where I post all the every day things people need ID cards and you post how your grandmother has managed to work around those by knowing her Pharmacist for 50 years.

    So...your position is that the only reason these Native Americans don't have an ID is that they have chosen not to get one because they don't need one? ...that there is no reason they can't get one, they simply haven't?
    Last edited by Bos Mutus; 08-03-2016 at 04:54 PM.
    The Voice of Reason

  4. #4
    Senior Member Rainmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    on a Marl Road
    Posts
    3,882
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeKerriii View Post
    Many people on reservations simply have no need for IDs, Their neighbors and fellow tribesman know who they are and they don't deal with people who do not on anything like a regular basis.
    Ug'-um . Big Chief Crazy Horse....No take'-um picture...... Great Spirit say Pale Faces at North Dakota DMV speak'-um with forked tongues..... True purpose of taking photo is to steal'-um Noble, American Indian souls!
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 08-03-2016 at 05:37 PM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member WILDJOKER5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    939
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Its insane really. The left throws out speculation while facts like those in GA have shown more minority voter turnout after the law was passed. GA even made it part of the law to help the impoverished to get IDs free of charge. This is the lefts racism of low expectations of minorities and their way of rigging more and more elections. But hey, why change something when its only half broke right? 120% voter turnout is common in democrat cities right?
    Progressivism; such great ideas, they need to force you to follow them.

    Socialism is for the people, not the socialist.

    Economic Left/Right: 7.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.08
    politicalcompass.org

  6. #6
    Senior Member Bos Mutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,558
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WILDJOKER5 View Post
    Its insane really. The left throws out speculation while facts like those in GA have shown more minority voter turnout after the law was passed. GA even made it part of the law to help the impoverished to get IDs free of charge. This is the lefts racism of low expectations of minorities and their way of rigging more and more elections. But hey, why change something when its only half broke right? 120% voter turnout is common in democrat cities right?
    ...if these court decisions are any indication, the facts appear to be on the left's side.
    The Voice of Reason

  7. #7
    Senior Member WILDJOKER5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    939
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    ...if these court decisions are any indication, the facts appear to be on the left's side.
    Actually, sadly to say, Judges are just as guilty of opinionated verdicts to fall in line with their ideologies as anyone else. Its like the whole thing over Obamacare and how people are forced to buy something against their will. The SCOTUS didn't see the same opinion as the people who brought the lawsuit, so it was struck down and now people have to buy something or get taxed for not having it. Since 1790's, when the SCOTUS ruled they were allowed to interpret the constitution instead of reading it literally, the SCOTUS has been the safe haven for activist judges passing laws without the population's consent.
    Progressivism; such great ideas, they need to force you to follow them.

    Socialism is for the people, not the socialist.

    Economic Left/Right: 7.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.08
    politicalcompass.org

  8. #8
    Senior Member Bos Mutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,558
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WILDJOKER5 View Post
    Actually, sadly to say, Judges are just as guilty of opinionated verdicts to fall in line with their ideologies as anyone else. Its like the whole thing over Obamacare and how people are forced to buy something against their will. The SCOTUS didn't see the same opinion as the people who brought the lawsuit, so it was struck down and now people have to buy something or get taxed for not having it.
    Congress clearly has the authority to tax.

    Why is giving someone a tax write-off for buying health insurance any different than giving them a tax write-off for financing a home and paying interest...or a tax write-off for charitable donations?

    Are you forced against your will to make charitable donations simply because you have to pay taxes on that amount if you don't?


    Since 1790's, when the SCOTUS ruled they were allowed to interpret the constitution instead of reading it literally, the SCOTUS has been the safe haven for activist judges passing laws without the population's consent.
    There was no SCOTUS before 1790, so...since it's inception?

    Now...these above cases in the OP were not SCOTUS cases...but, I get your meaning...any decision you disagree with is the definition of activist liberal judges.

    That said...I'm not really familiar with the facts you are posting...what city had 120% voter turnout?
    The Voice of Reason

  9. #9
    Administrator Mjölnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    2,964
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    Why is giving someone a tax write-off for buying health insurance any different than giving them a tax write-off for financing a home and paying interest...or a tax write-off for charitable donations?
    I think one big difference is that there is no individual mandate to purchase / finance a home. Nor are you required to pay a penalty for not owning / financing a home.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

  10. #10
    Administrator Mjölnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    2,964
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    Why is giving someone a tax write-off for buying health insurance any different than giving them a tax write-off for financing a home and paying interest...or a tax write-off for charitable donations?
    I think one big difference is that there is no individual mandate to purchase / finance a home. Nor are you required to pay a penalty for not owning / financing a home.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •