Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shitty Drivers

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Shitty Drivers

I think this is a good thread to vent about shitty drivers that we encounter.

I'm going to start with one that I had last night: I was dring northbound on a major street that has two lanes in each direction and a median strip, and I was coming home from my second job. It was 11 at night, so there wasn't much traffic at all.

I was in the left lane, because I need to make a left turn. As I slowed down to make that turn, the car behind me slowed to. Because there was oncoming traffic on the southbound, I had to stop and wait for them to pass. As I slowed to stop, the fucktard behind me gets pissed and honks his horn. He then sits there and waits for me to make that left turn after the oncoming traffic passes, and then he continues on in the left lane after I make that turn.

Now, here's the problem: if I want to turn left, I have the right to do that. There's no sign saying I can't. And if I want to make that left, I am required to yield to oncoming traffic, as they have the right of way.

If that asshole behind be didn't like, then why the FUCK couldn't he get in the right lane and keep it moving?

This isn't the first time this has happened to me. For example, if I'm on a busy street and I'm in the right lane, and I want to make a right turn into a shopping center or something like that, people behind me will get pissed and honk their horns at me for slowing down to make that turn.

What in the FUCK is going on here?
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    Don't you live in the Norfolk area ... that is what is going on there.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

I'm going to start with one that I had last night: I was dring northbound on a major street that has two lanes in each direction and a median strip, and I was coming home from my second job. It was 11 at night, so there wasn't much traffic at all.

I was in the left lane, because I need to make a left turn. As I slowed down to make that turn, the car behind me slowed to. Because there was oncoming traffic on the southbound, I had to stop and wait for them to pass. As I slowed to stop, the fucktard behind me gets pissed and honks his horn. He then sits there and waits for me to make that left turn after the oncoming traffic passes, and then he continues on in the left lane after I make that turn.

Now, here's the problem: if I want to turn left, I have the right to do that. There's no sign saying I can't. And if I want to make that left, I am required to yield to oncoming traffic, as they have the right of way.

If that asshole behind be didn't like, then why the FUCK couldn't he get in the right lane and keep it moving?

This isn't the first time this has happened to me. For example, if I'm on a busy street and I'm in the right lane, and I want to make a right turn into a shopping center or something like that, people behind me will get pissed and honk their horns at me for slowing down to make that turn.

It's because everybody is in such a hurry to do everything. We have an intersection in town with a 4 way stop. I think that I'm probably the only person who comes to a complete stop. People behind me will honk because I'm at a complete stop, instead of just rolling through. Of course for the sake of spite, I'll sit there a couple extra seconds when that happens.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I too have seen/experienced that. And in some cases they 'roll forward' threatening to bump into me... Which really irks me off..

BUT no where near as much as those coming from side lanes/on ramps etc (or when the road tightens down to 1 lane for roadwork etc), that think you are obligated to let them in, all cause they PUSH their car's nose in front of yours, all while NOT signaling their intent to merge.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Admittedly, I get impatient myself with people doing things that they have the right to do; but I don't voice my disgust with THEM over it; however, I will sometimes do things to make sure that I'm not affected by their decision.

For example, let's say you're at an intersection that has a long red light and a short green light. You want to make a left turn. The person in front of you (who is also making a left turn) has just entered the intersection but, for whatever reason, they're moving slow as fuck and they're about to stick you with the red light. Although dangerous as fuck, yes, I will enter the intersection and drive around them and make that left turn.

Also... people who stop at yellow lights as soon as it turns yellow, and they're in the leftmost lane, and I intend to make a left. Yes, I'll drive around them to. Even if it means passing them on the left and driving on the other side of the road.

Or... at a red light where the intersection has two lanes on each side. Both lanes on your side each have a car at the red light, but the guy in the right lane intends to go straight (thus holding up everyone who wanted to make a right turn). As long as there are no signs, fences, trees, etc, and it's not residential property... I'll drive right over the corner.

Yeah, I do shit like that... but it's not putting pressure or displaying ill behavior toward the people who did whatever it is they did. It's just me accomodating myself, like the fool behind me in the left lane (in the OP) should have done by passing on the right. At least what he could've done would've been legal, had no reason to be mad.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

About 10 years ago my dad got into a little road rage incident with another driver. Dad was in the right lane on the interstate in pretty heavy traffic. A driver wanted to merge and my dad didn't slow down or move over to let him merge. The guy started tailgating my dad so my dad brake checked him and then drove 10 MPH under the speed limit. The guy finally passed us and flipped my dad off. I don't get it. We had the right of way. It isn't other drivers' job to move out of your way so you can merge. You are supposed to MERGE into traffic.

Anyways, I have a confession to make. I'm a driver some of you probably complain about. I almost never use my turn signal to change lanes. Here's my logic: The turn signal is to let you know I'm slowing down or stopping to make a turn. If I'm changing lanes I've already assured that I have clear distance. I don't need to warn you at all because I'm not cutting you off. My turn signal isn't a request. I've already check to make sure the lane is clear now I'm coming over here in front of you. There's nothing you can do about it and I don't need to warn you at all since I have enough space where you don't need to slow down.

Someone explain to me why I should ever be required to use my turn signal to change lanes.
    Last edited by SomeRandomGuy; 06-23-2016 at 06:54 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
    Someone explain to me why I should ever be required to use my turn signal to change lanes.
    If you're on an interstate, I can't bitch. Otherwise, there's a factor you left out: pedestrians. If a pedestrian is about to cross a street that you want to make a right turn into... it might be nice for the pedestrian to know that.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Admittedly, I get impatient myself with people doing things that they have the right to do; but I don't voice my disgust with THEM over it; however, I will sometimes do things to make sure that I'm not affected by their decision.

For example, let's say you're at an intersection that has a long red light and a short green light. You want to make a left turn. The person in front of you (who is also making a left turn) has just entered the intersection but, for whatever reason, they're moving slow as fuck and they're about to stick you with the red light. Although dangerous as fuck, yes, I will enter the intersection and drive around them and make that left turn.

Also... people who stop at yellow lights as soon as it turns yellow, and they're in the leftmost lane, and I intend to make a left. Yes, I'll drive around them to. Even if it means passing them on the left and driving on the other side of the road.

Or... at a red light where the intersection has two lanes on each side. Both lanes on your side each have a car at the red light, but the guy in the right lane intends to go straight (thus holding up everyone who wanted to make a right turn). As long as there are no signs, fences, trees, etc, and it's not residential property... I'll drive right over the corner.

Yeah, I do shit like that... but it's not putting pressure or displaying ill behavior toward the people who did whatever it is they did. It's just me accomodating myself, like the fool behind me in the left lane (in the OP) should have done by passing on the right. At least what he could've done would've been legal, had no reason to be mad.
    So you should never have an argument if you ever get pulled over and ticketed for all that then.

Anyways, I have a confession to make. I'm a driver some of you probably complain about. I almost never use my turn signal to change lanes. Here's my logic: The turn signal is to let you know I'm slowing down or stopping to make a turn. If I'm changing lanes I've already assured that I have clear distance. I don't need to warn you at all because I'm not cutting you off. My turn signal isn't a request. I've already check to make sure the lane is clear now I'm coming over here in front of you. There's nothing you can do about it and I don't need to warn you at all since I have enough space where you don't need to slow down.

Cause its the law, you need to use them to let those behind you know your intent to change/turn, so we don't speed up and take the spot you are entering..
    And YES i have gotten ticked for NOT doing that back in Va beach..

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    So you should never have an argument if you ever get pulled over and ticketed for all that then.
    Not that it's likely to happen. I've lived here since 2002 (except for 2006-2009, when I lived in San Antonio), and I was even a taxi driver here. I know the city of Norfolk like the back of my hand, and I know where the cops hang out - and even what they're keeping an eye out for. The only time I'm going to get ticketed is for doing something that I wasn't aware that I was doing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
    I do it because I want to make the drivers around me aware of my intentions. If someone is just about to perform some crazy NASCAR maneuver, they may hesitate or even wait if they see that I am about to change lanes. Without my signal, they may go ahead with their move at the same time I make my move. Crashing into another vehicle at speed over 60mph can be spectacular to see, but I don't want a view that close to the action.