Thread: 15 Marine Drill Instructors Investigated for Hazing

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

15 Marine Drill Instructors Investigated for Hazing

http://abcnews.go.com/US/15-marine-d...ry?id=40238668

Fifteen drill instructors at the Marine boot camp at Parris Island, South Carolina, are under investigation for possible hazing and abuse as part of a broader review of the behavior of Marine Corps drill instructors, the Marine Corps announced Wednesday.

The review stems from an investigation into the apparent suicide of a Muslim recruit in March.
    This would be an investigating officer's nightmare.
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Although suicides are a serious matter, I don't really think that they're a true indicator of whether or not anything improper was going on. Shit, when I got to Navy boot camp, there was an attempted suicide in my division the day after we got there (dude swallowed a bottle of aspirin; I have no idea where he got it from). If there are people who are pusilanimous enough to take their own lives because of Navy boot camp, then you know damn well it's happening many times more in Marine Corps boot camp.

From what I've read in earlier cases, the Marine Corps is believed to have the most unreported cases of physical abuse of recruits. This is due to the reputation of Marine Corps boot, and recruits not knowing that it's illegal and thinking that it's a normal part of boot camp.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Exactly. WE had one guy almost run off post, and got his nads caught in the barbed wire fence, all cause he wigged out on patrol one night. Doesn't mean that the DI's are hazing or abusing people..

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I was thinking about how this would be problematic for the investigating officer. Since the trigger point was the suicide of a Muslim recruit, it's almost a no win situation. If the investigation show no hazing and it was simply a statistical anomaly, they will be accused of covering up what could only be obvious racial/religious discrimination because the perception is that our military is at war with Islam.
    If the investigation finds that, yes - the Muslim recruit was targeted because of his religious beliefs... well we all know what lies down that road.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by efmbman View Post
    If the investigation finds that, yes - the Muslim recruit was targeted because of his religious beliefs... well we all know what lies down that road.
    Power Points.
    HM2