Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shitty Drivers

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post

Someone explain to me why I should ever be required to use my turn signal to change lanes.
    Let's say you're passing me and there's someone behind you also passing me. The person behind you is impatient with you. You clear me and start to merge right, but you don't use your signal. The impatient guy behind you doesn't see your signal and doesn't want to wait any longer so decides to cut in front of me on his right to pass you on the inside. You merge over, he has nowhere to go and moves into me, forcing me either to hit him or to swerve off the road to avoid contact.

The fault is on the impatient driver but you could have easily avoided the entire situation by using your signal.

Also, how fucking lazy is someone to not use their signal? Is it tiring? Does it interrupt you texting? Hell, most new cars have lane change signals now...you don't even have to turn your blinker on...you just tap it and it flashes 3 times, then goes off.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Also, how fucking lazy is someone to not use their signal? Is it tiring? Does it interrupt you texting? Hell, most new cars have lane change signals now...you don't even have to turn your blinker on...you just tap it and it flashes 3 times, then goes off.
    To be honest, there is just quite a bit going on at that exact moment. I use my mirrors to keep track of other drivers but I always turn and look over my shoulder before changing lanes. So, at the moment I'm changing lanes I'm using my peripheral vision to watch in front of me, I need to shift my body one way or the other to look over my shoulder, I'm trying to maintain my speed and distance, and at that moment you also want me to take my hand off the wheel to flip my blinker up or down? All so that I can warn you of something I'm about to do anyways that doesn't really affect you?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    To be honest, there is just quite a bit going on at that exact moment. I use my mirrors to keep track of other drivers but I always turn and look over my shoulder before changing lanes. So, at the moment I'm changing lanes I'm using my peripheral vision to watch in front of me, I need to shift my body one way or the other to look over my shoulder, I'm trying to maintain my speed and distance, and at that moment you also want me to take my hand off the wheel to flip my blinker up or down? All so that I can warn you of something I'm about to do anyways that doesn't really affect you?
    Are you serious with this? If driving is this much of a struggle you shouldn't be driving. Plus, you shouldn't be looking over your shoulder. You should be checking your blind spot with a quick glance...if you're looking over your shoulder for any length of time you need to adjust your mirrors.

I really hope there is sarcasm with this...just in case, if you are being serious, it's very simple. Turn your blinker on, then do all that other stuff. That actually gives everyone else longer to see that you'll be changing lanes.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    Don't you live in the Norfolk area ... that is what is going on there.
    At least up North people take calculated risks and you can kind of anticipate what they're going to do. They won't normally cut across 8 lanes of traffic to make a left turn on the Interstate or drive their '95 Lincoln town car up on to the sidewalk (because they're too old to hear the curb feelers) and run over a mom pushing a baby stroller or mistake the gas pedal for the brake pedal and drive into a retention pond filled with alligators...... That kind of stuff is a Regular Daily Occurrence here in the Land of the Mouse!

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    IMO that is why we are still seeing a hell of a lot of accidents on the road.. Too many gadgets/safety features in cars so people forget how to properly drive for THEIR own safety.. They assume the car will do it all for them.

You're supposed to put the turn signals on before then though..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Someone explain to me why I should ever be required to use my turn signal to change lanes.
    The reason you use the turn signal is to tell the drivers around you you plan to move from one lane to another so they can take their appropriate action such as slowing down to let you. Giving a second or two notice before you make the lane change is usually enough to help other drivers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I don't know what type of vehicle you drive but for me I don't have to take my hand off the wheel to use my turn signal. A quick flick of my finger is all it takes to make the turn signal go up or down.

What you should be doing before you make your lane change is to put on your turn signal and then check traffic by looking over your left/right shoulder and checking your mirrors. Do this and you shouldn't have any problems with drivers around you not knowing what your intentions are.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The drivers I hate the most are the "Dive Bombers" who, at the last second, cross two or more lanes of traffic to take an off-ramp. This is especially dangerous during morning or evening rush hours.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Or how about that douche that drives up to the front of a backed up exit to cut in, instead of getting in the back like everyone else? The person that pisses me off even more is the guy who actually let him in.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LogDog View Post
    The drivers I hate the most are the "Dive Bombers" who, at the last second, cross two or more lanes of traffic to take an off-ramp. This is especially dangerous during morning or evening rush hours.
    I can't stand asshats like those.. And another offender are motor bikers, who think that we have to give them a full Car's width to pass THEM, but have NO Problems weaving in and out of traffic, sometimes even clipping people's wing mirrors...

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    Or how about that douche that drives up to the front of a backed up exit to cut in, instead of getting in the back like everyone else? The person that pisses me off even more is the guy who actually let him in.
    Agreed. And if i AM that guy, you can bet i am sneaking my nose forward as close to the guy in front of me, to STOP his ass pushing their way in..