Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: For the Sake of Disagreement

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    I'm not sure how the "anonymous" climate surveys work in the Navy, but I know that in the Air Force it has select age, gender, squadron, and work center at the beginning (and possibly a couple other demographics). The only thing not given is the name. Not sure how anonymous that is. Probably different in the Navy.
    A bit more shielded than that. I can't see that a Male, 28 year old E5 said "XXXXXXXX". I see that E1-E3's said "XXXXXXXXX", "XXXXXXXXXX", "XXXXXXXXXX". Same for E4-E6, E7-E9, CWO2-O3. Not really easy to pick out who is who unless they describe something really specific.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I think a better analogy is this: A dad spanks his kid with a belt. One person says "you can't do that, that's illegal". The discussion then becomes about whether or not it should be legal. Nobody is arguing that it is or isn't. They are arguing the validity and the adherence to those laws.
    The big difference? Even though what the dad may be doing is illegal, he has the ability to disobey that law.

If a certain position can only be filled by military personnel, it IMPOSSIBLE to hire a civilian to do it.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    The big difference? Even though what the dad may be doing is illegal, he has the ability to disobey that law.

If a certain position can only be filled by military personnel, it IMPOSSIBLE to hire a civilian to do it.
    A law is only as good as it is enforced & The government is your daddy.

What's currently going on in the Cyber career field has many parallels to what went on in the Intelligence fields throughout the last decade. Let me give you a first hand example. During the force beddown for both the Iraq (07) and Afghan (09-10) Surge Operations there was huge shortage for analysts of all types. contractors can perform collection and analysis. However, certain inherently governmental functions BY LAW, are to be performed by govt personnel.

However, following 9-11 attacks the CONgress began passing the Supplemental (Emergency) O&M funding. Now, this type of funding was designed to be temporary. So, You can't increase your Military or Civil Service end strength with it. So, the work had to be outsourced. There was no other way. The Congress has continued the supplemental indefinitely. As a result many of the CGO'S and NCO's got out in droves. Because if you're going to get deployed to some dusty shithole 6 months every year, then you might as well be getting paid 5 times the salary.

This was a self inflicted wound because the services wound up serving as a training ground for defense contractors. The Military leadership did not (and doesn't) want to change it. As a result, today The military no longer has the expertise to accomplish the intelligence activities it is tasked with, without using contractors and the contractors are not that good anymore because their recruiting base is the services and the quality of the intelligence produced is now shit.

Contractors perform these types of functions all the time in every intelligence field (to include Counter terrorism). Technically it's a violation. But, they're not breaking the law. Why? Because, they said they're not and there's no enforcement mechanism to ensure they don't and quite frankly when you have thousands of billets and 80% of them are contracted out, there's no way you can accomplish the mission without breaking the law.

.gov wants to perpetuate this status quo because, our industry "partners" have made a fucking killing on the Forever war.
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 06-23-2016 at 05:56 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    A bit more shielded than that. I can't see that a Male, 28 year old E5 said "XXXXXXXX". I see that E1-E3's said "XXXXXXXXX", "XXXXXXXXXX", "XXXXXXXXXX". Same for E4-E6, E7-E9, CWO2-O3. Not really easy to pick out who is who unless they describe something really specific.
    You should try something. Without qualifying it in any way, do a poll of your unit to find out how many people are confident that the climate survey is anonymous.

The answers you'll receive may surprise you, from having to list demographics to being logged in with a CAC. Whether it's true or not that they aren't anonymous, most people do not believe it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You should try something. Without qualifying it in any way, do a poll of your unit to find out how many people are confident that the climate survey is anonymous.

The answers you'll receive may surprise you, from having to list demographics to being logged in with a CAC. Whether it's true or not that they aren't anonymous, most people do not believe it is.
    That is actually a good idea. You literally just created work for my CMEO (EEO) to build that into our debrief.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.