Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: For Those That Gripe About Running a Mile and a Half ...

  1. #1
    Administrator Mjölnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    2,964
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    For Those That Gripe About Running a Mile and a Half ...



    Pretty motivational effort from this guy ...

    If I failed a simple physical fitness test and then watched this I would be pissed at myself
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, ohio
    Posts
    3,326
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post


    Pretty motivational effort from this guy ...

    If I failed a simple physical fitness test and then watched this I would be pissed at myself
    I absolutely LOVE ninja warrior (along with the Spartan events), but i really wish they wouldn't do SO much exposes on this or that person's trials and tribulations YEAR after YEAR, and focus MORE on letting us see MORE people run the courses..

  3. #3
    Senior Member Rusty Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    3,936
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The 1.5 mile run on the AF PT test doesn't piss me off. None of the "events" do. It's the scoring system that pisses me off.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

  4. #4
    Administrator Mjölnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    2,964
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    The 1.5 mile run on the AF PT test doesn't piss me off. None of the "events" do. It's the scoring system that pisses me off.
    I will say the USAF PT test is odd to me, I don't think it is too hard, but the metrics are odd.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Rusty Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    3,936
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    I will say the USAF PT test is odd to me, I don't think it is too hard, but the metrics are odd.
    I think it's too hard for the Air Force. The PT Test, in my opinion, doesn't reflect what the Air Force needs to demand of Airmen. It simply reflects the Air Force's need to keep attrition at a certain level.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

  6. #6
    Administrator Mjölnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    2,964
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    I think it's too hard for the Air Force. The PT Test, in my opinion, doesn't reflect what the Air Force needs to demand of Airmen.
    That may be. I have never been an Airmen so don't really know what the minimum physical requirement should be. That said, I think there should be physical requirements of some sort; every study about physical readiness, training etc. I have ever seen shows that when people are at a basic level of fitness they get sick less, get injured (even routine injuries) less, they handle periods of extended stress/work etc. better. Basically, a minimum level of fitness is a cheap way to help aid in people being able to work more, be at work more and costs me less in medical expenses.


    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    It simply reflects the Air Force's need to keep attrition at a certain level.
    Possibly, I know the Navy migrated back and forth on enforcement of PRT standards for some time and it can be correlated that when people needed to be cut from end strength and easy 'Step 1' was to actually enforce the existing standard.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

  7. #7
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    So many problems with it, and people don't bitch that it's too hard, they bitch that it doesn't make any sense, as Rusty stated.

    Airmen must score a 75% to pass. There are 4 categories...waist, run, push-ups, sit-ups. Waist is 20 points, and you get that for being under a 35 inch measurement. Push-ups, sit-ups are 10 points each and the run is 60. The biggest problem is that each category has a minimum and if you don't meet the minimum in each category you fail. So, someone can fail with a total score above 90 and someone can pass with a 75. Also, if you just meet the minimum in each category, you will fail.

    It's a weird system that has zero to do with "fit to fight" and much more to do with "the other services do something, so should we". It started when Airmen were getting sent to CST with the Army before taking an ILO tasking and not completing the training because they were out of shape.

  8. #8
    Administrator Mjölnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    2,964
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    So many problems with it, and people don't bitch that it's too hard, they bitch that it doesn't make any sense, as Rusty stated.
    I have heard folks say it is too hard, same for the USN test ... laughable.

    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Airmen must score a 75% to pass. There are 4 categories...waist, run, push-ups, sit-ups. Waist is 20 points, and you get that for being under a 35 inch measurement. Push-ups, sit-ups are 10 points each and the run is 60. The biggest problem is that each category has a minimum and if you don't meet the minimum in each category you fail. So, someone can fail with a total score above 90 and someone can pass with a 75. Also, if you just meet the minimum in each category, you will fail.
    Navy and USMC kind of have the same thing, you could cumulatively get enough total points to pass but fail a single event and it is an overall failure.

    In the USMC, there were minimums for each event, but if you did the minimum in each event (passed) you could not accumulate enough total points to pass the PFT; you had to do more than the minimum in at least one event to get enough points to pass the enter PFT.

    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    It's a weird system that has zero to do with "fit to fight" and much more to do with "the other services do something, so should we". It started when Airmen were getting sent to CST with the Army before taking an ILO tasking and not completing the training because they were out of shape.
    "Fit to Fight" is a catchphrase ... goes well on posters at the gym etc. I think some of the fitness standards have to do with basic readiness and health, some of it (specifically for the USAF) seems to be a bit odd (the waist measurement max's and such).
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

  9. #9
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    "Fit to Fight" is a catchphrase ... goes well on posters at the gym etc. I think some of the fitness standards have to do with basic readiness and health, some of it (specifically for the USAF) seems to be a bit odd (the waist measurement max's and such).
    Another problem with the Air Force "fitness" programs is if a person who scores high on the test was to do only the squadron PT program, their score would fall. Most of the people do much better with their own programs.

    I'm of the mind that we're all adults. Have the test as required by AFI. If the person fails then they pay the consequences. No PT "program" required. I can't count how many hours were wasted in my career doing "butterfly stretches" and "right over left". So inefficient.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, ohio
    Posts
    3,326
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    The 1.5 mile run on the AF PT test doesn't piss me off. None of the "events" do. It's the scoring system that pisses me off.
    Now that i agree with. The mile and a half run is not a big thing, how they score is.

    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    So many problems with it, and people don't bitch that it's too hard, they bitch that it doesn't make any sense, as Rusty stated.

    Airmen must score a 75% to pass. There are 4 categories...waist, run, push-ups, sit-ups. Waist is 20 points, and you get that for being under a 35 inch measurement. Push-ups, sit-ups are 10 points each and the run is 60. The biggest problem is that each category has a minimum and if you don't meet the minimum in each category you fail. So, someone can fail with a total score above 90 and someone can pass with a 75. Also, if you just meet the minimum in each category, you will fail.
    And that's the part that always irked me off the most. I could run my ass off, and barely miss being outstanding on the run, but if i failed anywhere else (Or even PASSED but in marginal scoring) i am still 'classed as failing and thus going to be pushed to Fitness Enhancement.. Yet someone who willingly does JUST barely over the marginal passing level, is not hit for anything...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •