Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 65

Thread: Why vote if its gonna be law anyway?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, ohio
    Posts
    3,326
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

    Why vote if its gonna be law anyway?

    Sometimes i seriously wonder why we are given the right to vote on stuff, when in a number of cases i have seen, time and time again XYZ bill gets signatures to get on the voters ballot and gets shot down year after year, so instead those who are pushing that bill, just go straight TO The politicians and get it wrote into law, effectively bypassing US the voters... Case and point. The past 3 Novembers, Medical Marijuana has been on the Nov ballots for a yay-nay vote, but in ALL 3 years i have been up here, it got shot down 60% to 40 (on ave)..
    So just earlier to day the Ohio state senate voted it INTO law anyway, and got Kasich to approve it...

    So WHY have a damn vote of the people, when if they say no several times you are just going to make it law anyhow...????
    It makes no damn sense to me.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Dayon, Ohio
    Posts
    1,244
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Sometimes i seriously wonder why we are given the right to vote on stuff, when in a number of cases i have seen, time and time again XYZ bill gets signatures to get on the voters ballot and gets shot down year after year, so instead those who are pushing that bill, just go straight TO The politicians and get it wrote into law, effectively bypassing US the voters... Case and point. The past 3 Novembers, Medical Marijuana has been on the Nov ballots for a yay-nay vote, but in ALL 3 years i have been up here, it got shot down 60% to 40 (on ave)..
    So just earlier to day the Ohio state senate voted it INTO law anyway, and got Kasich to approve it...

    So WHY have a damn vote of the people, when if they say no several times you are just going to make it law anyhow...????
    It makes no damn sense to me.
    I'm also in Ohio and I don't quite see it the same way that you do. The people of Ohio actually do support Medical Marijuana (and Recreational Marijuana). What they don't support is the slimy way it was put on the ballots the last few times.

    Issue 3 failed November 2015 because of the language of the amendment. What happened is a group called Responsible Ohio solicited donations from 12 different investors. They each put up $2M. Marijuana would become legal but only these 12 groups would get a license to grow and sell it.

    In other words, these people put up the money to pass the amendment so they would be awarded a monopoly. That didn't sit well with Ohio voters. More on the subject here:

    http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...-wrong/414061/

    Anyways, now we get to your point. Why did the Ohio legislature legalize medical marijuana if people just voted down recreational (and medical) marijuana. Also, why did Kasich sign the bill even though he is opposed?

    The answer is simple. These ballot initiatives aren't going away anytime soon. Legislators are supposed to pass laws that make sense. If you let the people vote medical marijuana in via constitutional amendment the law will be written the way they want and can't be overridden by the legislature.

    In short, the Ohio legislature passed a medical marijuana law because they know that eventually the people of Ohio would have gotten one through and they may not have liked the results. At least under this version the legislature can still control what the law says and how the licensing works.

    Also, if I may ask why are you opposed to medical marijuana? There are far, far worse drugs on the market that are prescribed to people every single day. Why is this the one you are opposed to? Why do you want your taxes spent locking people up for a mostly harmless drug?
    Last edited by SomeRandomGuy; 06-09-2016 at 01:03 PM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, ohio
    Posts
    3,326
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post

    Also, if I may ask why are you opposed to medical marijuana? There are far, far worse drugs on the market that are prescribed to people every single day. Why is this the one you are opposed to? Why do you want your taxes spent locking people up for a mostly harmless drug?
    Several people i know who have been victims of druggies, whether via mugging, getting their car broken into, OR getting their car smashed, WERE from people on MJ.. And one of those (got rear ended on the freeway) was by a guy high on medical MJ (supposedly)..

  4. #4
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Several people i know who have been victims of druggies, whether via mugging, getting their car broken into, OR getting their car smashed, WERE from people on MJ.. And one of those (got rear ended on the freeway) was by a guy high on medical MJ (supposedly)..

    First off, I'm not buying that you know "several" people who have been victims of MJ attacks. However, same shit happens, very often, when people are drunk. You want to get rid of alcohol?
    Last edited by sandsjames; 06-09-2016 at 05:35 PM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Rainmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    on a Marl Road
    Posts
    3,880
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    oh boy. you've knocked over the hornet's nest garhkal.

    Now, Standby to be endlessly bombarded with pages of "statistical analysis" comparing alcoholics and druggies and shrieking cries of "racism and oppression"......,And Don't bother responding in kind with any Facts or your own actual experiences, because they are of no consequence to the pothead zombie crowd.
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 06-09-2016 at 06:09 PM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Dayon, Ohio
    Posts
    1,244
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Several people i know who have been victims of druggies, whether via mugging, getting their car broken into, OR getting their car smashed, WERE from people on MJ.. And one of those (got rear ended on the freeway) was by a guy high on medical MJ (supposedly)..
    Do you have those same statistics for alcohol? Almost every time I see a bum sitting on the corner he's holding a paper bag with a pint of whiskey or a 40-ounce beer. Should we ban alcohol because some people make mistakes when under its influence?

    Personally, the only people I've ever heard about getting killed because of marijuana are drug dealers infringing on each other's territory. I've never heard of or met anyone who is so addicted to marijuana that they rob houses or cars to pay for it.

    Honestly, if marijuana were legal it's so damn cheap to manufacture that you would literally never hear about anyone stealing to obtain it. Feel free to do some research on what has happened in Colorado, Washington and other places that have legalized marijuana.

    The same people that were doing it before are still doing it. I keep hearing my gun-toting friends say that "prohibition (aka gun control) doesn't work." Why don't they feel the same way about drugs? In both cases they would be right.

  7. #7
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    oh boy. you've knocked over the hornet's nest garhkal.

    Now, Standby to be endlessly bombarded with pages of "statistical analysis" comparing alcoholics and druggies and shrieking cries of "racism and oppression"......,And Don't bother responding in kind with any Facts or your own actual experiences, because they are of no consequence to the pothead zombie crowd.
    Please explain to me why the far right conservatives are so against pot? What is it and how did it end up being such a partisan topic?

    If you're ok with his actual experiences over stats then I'll give you mine:

    Before I joined the AF I smoked pot on a regular basis. I didn't drive. I did it after school. I was never hung over. I was never an "angry pothead". And when it came time for me to give it up to join the AF I didn't have any problem. It wasn't addictive. I didn't have withdrawls. The people I've known who smoke pot are laid back, don't let it interfere with their jobs. They simply smoke a joint or two in the evening, go to bed, wake up, and go to work...no longer intoxicated.

    I'm sure, though, you aren't ok with those "actual experiences" because it doesn't fit your odd, far right agenda.

  8. #8
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
    Do you have those same statistics for alcohol? Almost every time I see a bum sitting on the corner he's holding a paper bag with a pint of whiskey or a 40-ounce beer. Should we ban alcohol because some people make mistakes when under its influence?

    Personally, the only people I've ever heard about getting killed because of marijuana are drug dealers infringing on each other's territory. I've never heard of or met anyone who is so addicted to marijuana that they rob houses or cars to pay for it.

    Honestly, if marijuana were legal it's so damn cheap to manufacture that you would literally never hear about anyone stealing to obtain it. Feel free to do some research on what has happened in Colorado, Washington and other places that have legalized marijuana.

    The same people that were doing it before are still doing it. I keep hearing my gun-toting friends say that "prohibition (aka gun control) doesn't work." Why don't they feel the same way about drugs? In both cases they would be right.
    Exactly. I don't get why this is where the right draws the line. Alcohol? Goooooood. Tobacco? Goooooooood. Pot? Hippy bastards!!!!

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Dayon, Ohio
    Posts
    1,244
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Please explain to me why the far right conservatives are so against pot? What is it and how did it end up being such a partisan topic?

    If you're ok with his actual experiences over stats then I'll give you mine:

    Before I joined the AF I smoked pot on a regular basis. I didn't drive. I did it after school. I was never hung over. I was never an "angry pothead". And when it came time for me to give it up to join the AF I didn't have any problem. It wasn't addictive. I didn't have withdrawls. The people I've known who smoke pot are laid back, don't let it interfere with their jobs. They simply smoke a joint or two in the evening, go to bed, wake up, and go to work...no longer intoxicated.

    I'm sure, though, you aren't ok with those "actual experiences" because it doesn't fit your odd, far right agenda.
    The War on Drugs has always been about having a way to criminalize the behavior or people in the inner-city (read: blacks) and the hippies who opposed the Vietnam war.

    http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/23/politi...blacks-hippie/

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Dayon, Ohio
    Posts
    1,244
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The War on Drugs has been a massive failure. Google "no knock raids" and read about both police officers and civilians killed during raids over a little bit of marijuana.

    http://www.wnd.com/2015/02/no-knock-...azing-tragedy/

    I'm sure people like Garhkal want these to continue though. By all means, let keep busting down doors and arresting people for using marijuana.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •