Thread: Panera sued over sandwich served to child with allergy

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Panera sued over sandwich served to child with allergy

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...mdO/story.html

In a case reflecting the growing tensions around food allergies, the family of a 6-year-old Natick girl with a serious peanut allergy filed suit last week in Middlesex Superior Court against Panera and a group of Panera franchises in New England.

The suit alleges negligence stemming from an incident in which the grilled cheese the girl ordered came with a large dollop of peanut butter inside, leading to her hospitalization.

John Russo said that ever since his daughter was diagnosed with a peanut allergy around the age of 18 months, he and his wife, Elissa, have been vigilant about explaining her condition at restaurants, and never leaving the house without an epinephrine pen in case of accidental exposure.

When Elissa used Panera’s online system Jan. 28 to order from the Natick location she noted in two places that the grilled cheese was for a child with a peanut allergy.

Russo said that although his family hadn’t posted in allergy forums, they noticed that some parents criticized the mother involved in the Wayland incident for allowing her allergic child to eat out, particularly at Panera.

After all, Panera includes this advisory on its website: “Please note that we cannot guarantee that any of our menu items are free of allergens because we use shared equipment and handle common allergens throughout our supply chain and bakery-cafe.”

-- Why would you even put on an order for grilled cheese peanut allergy? I suppose someone could have misread the comments on the order but it does seem weird anyone would put peanut butter on a grilled cheese sandwich - but maybe they get weird requests?

I guess if my kid had a food allergy I would go in person and order or call on the phone. Or very, very explicitly describe the allergy and what not to put in the food if ordering online. It is weird that it allegedly happened at another Panera store nearby.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sparks82 View Post
    After all, Panera includes this advisory on its website: “Please note that we cannot guarantee that any of our menu items are free of allergens because we use shared equipment and handle common allergens throughout our supply chain and bakery-cafe.”

-- Why would you even put on an order for grilled cheese peanut allergy? I suppose someone could have misread the comments on the order but it does seem weird anyone would put peanut butter on a grilled cheese sandwich - but maybe they get weird requests?

I guess if my kid had a food allergy I would go in person and order or call on the phone. Or very, very explicitly describe the allergy and what not to put in the food if ordering online. It is weird that it allegedly happened at another Panera store nearby.
    IMO a lot is cause people gloss OVER those warning messages, then when they get bit, they raise a stink about it. Heck When out in San Diego for a Training class on the RDSAT unit, one of the out in town restaurants i went to for a 'we got done luncheon' with the rest of the class and the 2 teachers, one ordered a Salad which IN the write up said "this comes with walnuts, Apple chunks, Ham and Green peppers over a mix of Romaine and Iceberg lettuce.
    One of the gang HAD an allergy to to peanuts (including walnuts) then threw a major hissy fit about it..

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Toot toot. Peanut butter!