Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Sergeant requests to retire by telling CSM to “die a painful death”

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

First Sergeant requests to retire by telling CSM to “die a painful death”

http://popularmilitary.com/combat-in...painful-death/

First Sergeant Dennis Carter apparently hated his job as the Operations NCO of the Army National Guard’s Regimental Troops Squadron 278th Armored Cavalry Regiment. Last month he submitted a request for retirement to his commander, LTC Hebel, that seemed to be inspired by a pure hatred for his unit and his Command Sergeant Major.

His recently released retirement request has been redacted to cover the name of the Command Sergeant Major, but a publicized change of command ceremony (three days before Carter’s retirement request) lists the outgoing CSM as Command Sergeant Major Vincent Roach and the incoming as CSM Mcdow.

“Here’s a copy of my request for retirement. My dumbass AO was so excited at the prospect of me leaving, he didn’t even read it. He line endorsed it and sent it straight to Regiment,” Carter told U.S Army WTF moments.

The retirement request:

The CSM, who Carter says is a “nutless sack of shit” responded via Facebook:

-------------------
    Last edited by Rusty Jones; 06-07-2016 at 03:01 PM.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Got to give the guy props for having the gonads to send that letter up. BUT man what a dumb move.. Knowing all who would be seeing it, if they really wanted to dick him over, i am sure they could find something to ding him on so they boot him out, NO retirement...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Got to give the guy props for having the gonads to send that letter up. BUT man what a dumb move.. Knowing all who would be seeing it, if they really wanted to dick him over, i am sure they could find something to ding him on so they boot him out, NO retirement...
    Yeah, I don't think this is over yet. It probably would've been, had it not gone viral. Now the Army is in a visible position to have to do something about this.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    Yeah, I don't think this is over yet. It probably would've been, had it not gone viral. Now the Army is in a visible position to have to do something about this.
    I doubt anything will come of it. I've heard far worse at retirement ceremonies when the retiree, for whatever reason, decides to take his 20 years of pent up anger out on the leadership.

I say let the dude retire and be done with it. Hell, if he was an officer and banged a subordinate they'd be okay with letting him just retire, and that's much worse.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    I doubt anything will come of it. I've heard far worse at retirement ceremonies when the retiree, for whatever reason, decides to take his 20 years of pent up anger out on the leadership.

I say let the dude retire and be done with it. Hell, if he was an officer and banged a subordinate they'd be okay with letting him just retire, and that's much worse.
    The big difference is that what you saw probably never left the squadron.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    The big difference is that what you saw probably never left the squadron.
    True...I guess that makes a difference. Plus the CSM is gonna have to save face so he may want to make an example.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    True...I guess that makes a difference. Plus the CSM is gonna have to save face so he may want to make an example.
    Seeing as how the letter is over a year old...sounds like he was free and clear before he posted it online.

A little update here:

http://www.wsmv.com/story/32296052/r...xic-leadership

The letter was returned to him for a re-write, which he did...with just the basic info, name, position, etc.

I don't know if National Guard retirement is the same as active duty....active duty you are supposed to do it 4 months out, at a minimum (waiverable)...but, this sounds like he basically just said, "I quit" and was eligible for retirement...don't know how the points and all that works on their side.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    Seeing as how the letter is over a year old...sounds like he was free and clear before he posted it online.

A little update here:

http://www.wsmv.com/story/32296052/r...xic-leadership

The letter was returned to him for a re-write, which he did...with just the basic info, name, position, etc.

I don't know if National Guard retirement is the same as active duty....active duty you are supposed to do it 4 months out, at a minimum (waiverable)...but, this sounds like he basically just said, "I quit" and was eligible for retirement...don't know how the points and all that works on their side.
    For the Army in general, they treat SNCO enlistments like commissions. Instead of having an ETS, they're "indefinite" and have to resign instead of separating at an ETS. I think the Army started doing this back in 2000.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    For the Army in general, they treat SNCO enlistments like commissions. Instead of having an ETS, they're "indefinite" and have to resign instead of separating at an ETS. I think the Army started doing this back in 2000.
    I am not positive about that. I reenlisted an Army SFC (E7) last year.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    I am not positive about that. I reenlisted an Army SFC (E7) last year.
    I only heard about this, because when I was stationed at PSD New London as a PN3, I had CT ARNG SNCOs try to argue about there being an ETS date on their ID cards whenever they came to get issued a new one.