Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Sergeant requests to retire by telling CSM to “die a painful death”

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    I am not positive about that. I reenlisted an Army SFC (E7) last year.
    Once I became a SNCO...my favorite way to reenlist was to find the youngest, greenest officer I could find and ask him/her to reenlist me...my desired location was at the squadron or group staff meeting and no note cards could be used for the oath.

They always did great. Think I reenlisted 3 times as a SNCO, maybe?
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    For the Army in general, they treat SNCO enlistments like commissions. Instead of having an ETS, they're "indefinite" and have to resign instead of separating at an ETS. I think the Army started doing this back in 2000.
    I haven't heard of that, but it would make a lot of sense...I mean by the time a guy is a SNCO, let's just assume they are going the distance...not sure what the point is of reenlisting them every 4-6 years.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    I haven't heard of that, but it would make a lot of sense...I mean by the time a guy is a SNCO, let's just assume they are going the distance...not sure what the point is of reenlisting them every 4-6 years.
    Yeah, I've only seen two instances (and heard of a third) where this didn't happen. The first was a Senior Chief who got out at 19 years and 2 months when he found out that his wife was leaving him. Because he knew that his wife was going after his retirement, he decided to cut off his nose to spite his face. The second was a guy who made Chief in nine years, but was still frocked when he got out (so he was still an E6 at the time). However, he went directly into the Navy Reserve. The third case that I heard of was before I got to the Stout, my LPO (who was a PN1 filling a PNC billet at the time) actually got there about two months before I did. Apparently, the PNC that he replaced was incompetent and getting eaten alive in his position; so he got out and came back in, order to go to another command.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I did a quick Google and found this:

Staff sergeants and above with 10 or more years of service generally are required to take an indefinite enlistment to remain in service.

However, soldiers should contact their local retention noncommissioned officer or career counselor to determine specific options that are available at the time they want to re-enlist.
    The article is from 2014, so maybe it changed which is why I was reenlisting an E7 with about 14 years. Don't really know for sure.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I did a quick Google and found this:

Staff sergeants and above with 10 or more years of service generally are required to take an indefinite enlistment to remain in service.

However, soldiers should contact their local retention noncommissioned officer or career counselor to determine specific options that are available at the time they want to re-enlist.
    The article is from 2014, so maybe it changed which is why I was reenlisting an E7 with about 14 years. Don't really know for sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Once I became a SNCO...my favorite way to reenlist was to find the youngest, greenest officer I could find and ask him/her to reenlist me...my desired location was at the squadron or group staff meeting and no note cards could be used for the oath.
    Probably what it was.