Thread: Cody: 'Veiled promotion statements' are off-limits in new EPRs

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Cody: 'Veiled promotion statements' are off-limits in new EPRs

http://www.airforcetimes.com/story/m...eprs/85201108/

Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force James Cody has a message for raters writing enlisted performance reports for their airmen: No more so-called "veiled promotion statements."

For years, these statements have been used to subtly imply airmen ought to be promoted — usually by saying that a staff sergeant, for example, has been doing the job of a technical sergeant. That kind of a statement can improperly send a signal that the staff sergeant should be promoted.

But in a Chief Chat video posted on the Air Force's webpage Tuesday, Cody said that under the new EPR system which is now in the final stages of being rolled out, veiled promotion statements should not be used.

"We've been very, very detailed in what you can and what you can't say, so there aren't veiled promotion statements," Cody said. "That doesn't mean we don't have airmen of a lesser rank filling in positions of a more senior rank. But to be honest, we're not expecting them to perform at the level of the person that would be at that higher rank."

Cody said that force support squadrons and the Air Force Personnel Center are watching evaluations to make sure raters haven't slipped in any veiled promotion statements. If they have, the EPRs will be kicked back to the rater to be rewritten, Cody said.

And since space is limited in the new EPR, Cody said, raters shouldn't use the few words available to them on something that will ultimately get stripped out.

"We've reduced the amount of lines on the report," he said. "That can be just a wasted line when you can actually be talking about something the airman did, and the impact that had."

Cody also reiterated in the video that raters are not to give airmen who are not up for promotion a blanket performance assessment of "meets expectations" on their EPR. Last December, Cody sent an email to the service's command chiefs that blasted some for improperly tying performance assessments of airmen to their promotion recommendations. In that email, Cody called the practice "absolutely unacceptable" and counter to Air Force policy.

In Tuesday's video, Cody said top Air Force officials have put out more guidance to the field spelling out how the process is supposed to work. Cody also said force support squadrons are watching for these kinds of improper performance assessments.

"It just doesn't work that way," Cody said. "Performance influences a promotion recommendation. A promotion recommendation or a lack thereof does not influence how an airman is performing."
    -------------------
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    This is nuts.

After a decade of writing EVALs when I was active duty Navy, I had to sit down and write my first Air Force EPR and I felt like a total idiot.

With Navy EVALs, the front page is all trait marks, then a few more on the back... with big open space to write whatever the hell you want.

With Air Force EPRs, the space is VERY limited; and all the lines have to be written a certain way...

But... every few weeks, CMSAF Cody is always adding more limitations.

Like recently... anyone who's not yet up for promotion cannot be marked as "meets expectations." And now... this. I had to write an EPR on a recently promoted TSgt, who was under me before he got promoted... I indicated that he performed at the level of a TSgt while he was a SSgt... and now... that EPR might be getting kicked back to me.

I'm sure that there's more to being CMSAF than messing with EPRs. However, if I was a new E1 reporting to my first command right now, I wouldn't know that.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    This is nuts.

After a decade of writing EVALs when I was active duty Navy, I had to sit down and write my first Air Force EPR and I felt like a total idiot.

With Navy EVALs, the front page is all trait marks, then a few more on the back... with big open space to write whatever the hell you want.

With Air Force EPRs, the space is VERY limited; and all the lines have to be written a certain way...

I'm sure that there's more to being CMSAF than messing with EPRs. However, if I was a new E1 reporting to my first command right now, I wouldn't know that.
    Maybe it's his attempt at leaving a legacy? Because, he sure as hell hasn't been able to accomplish anything else worth a shit!
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 06-01-2016 at 07:32 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    This is nuts.

Like recently... anyone who's not yet up for promotion cannot be marked as "meets expectations." And now... this. I had to write an EPR on a recently promoted TSgt, who was under me before he got promoted... I indicated that he performed at the level of a TSgt while he was a SSgt... and now... that EPR might be getting kicked back to me.

Cody is a Jackass. I recommend that if you ever get a chance to hear him speak you avoid it like the plague.

Oh, and as far as the EPR being jacked up, welcome to the Air Force. The scary part is that it's way better now than it was. This is the first EPR that has even gotten close.

And don't worry, once you've got a handle on this EPR, a new CMSAF will come in and change the expectations of what can be written.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I have had to write a couple being Army in a joint unit - and it's worse than writing a NCOER. I haven't written one on our new NCOER format (which looks like a headache) but this sounds ridiculous.

Of course you don't expect someone to do the job of a higher rank - that's why you give them acknowledgement when they do. When an E4 is doing E7 work - you recognize that. Wow. Just wow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This is the Air Force, for Peter Principle's sake! The absolute LAST thing they want on a performance report is whether or not someone's performance is deserving of promotion!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Until they eradicate the paradigm of "you've too much white (blank) space", this is all bullshit...
    Air Force standards must be uniformly known, consistently applied and non-selectively enforced.
    - Gen. Ronald R Fogleman, Air Force Chief of Staff

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

Never tell people how to do things.
    Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.
    - General George Patton Jr