Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Captain America sexuality

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Captain America sexuality

http://abc13.com/entertainment/-give...paign/1354395/

I realize this isn't something Marvel is looking at, but if they were even going to entertain this idea, I'd give up. I don't understand the obsession. Especially since there are already several gay characters in the comic universe.

Marvel has treated the "Iceman" sexuality issue just fine. He came out in one story and, other than that, they haven't dwelled on it.

DC has "Midnighter". I started reading the story and really liked it, except that the entire focus of the book was about him being gay. He wasn't just a character who is gay...every issue had to get the point across.

I think Marvel is smarter than to do this. They've already lost a ton of readers by having Sam Wilson (Falcon) be the new Captain America and have brought back Steve Rogers (after less than a year. You want "diverse" characters? Create them. Don't change current ones.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    http://abc13.com/entertainment/-give...paign/1354395/

I realize this isn't something Marvel is looking at, but if they were even going to entertain this idea, I'd give up. I don't understand the obsession. Especially since there are already several gay characters in the comic universe.

Marvel has treated the "Iceman" sexuality issue just fine. He came out in one story and, other than that, they haven't dwelled on it.

DC has "Midnighter". I started reading the story and really liked it, except that the entire focus of the book was about him being gay. He wasn't just a character who is gay...every issue had to get the point across.

I think Marvel is smarter than to do this. They've already lost a ton of readers by having Sam Wilson (Falcon) be the new Captain America and have brought back Steve Rogers (after less than a year. You want "diverse" characters? Create them. Don't change current ones.
    I never really strayed too far out of Earth-616, but I hear that Ultimate Colossus is gay.

In any case, Steve Rogers has already been shown to be all about the poon in every form of media - comics, cartoons, movies, you name it.

Also, why do they want HIM to be gay? Why not Bruce Banner? Or, fuck, in the next movie... the can bring in Simon Williams and make HIM gay. Not that I WANT that, but we all know fully well that the ONLY reason they want Steve Rogers to be gay is because he's the rugged alpha male of the group, and they want nothing more than to fuck that up.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    I never really strayed too far out of Earth-616, but I hear that Ultimate Colossus is gay.

In any case, Steve Rogers has already been shown to be all about the poon in every form of media - comics, cartoons, movies, you name it.

Also, why do they want HIM to be gay? Why not Bruce Banner? Or, fuck, in the next movie... the can bring in Simon Williams and make HIM gay. Not that I WANT that, but we all know fully well that the ONLY reason they want Steve Rogers to be gay is because he's the rugged alpha male of the group, and they want nothing more than to fuck that up.
    There's a lot of stuff in the Ultimate Universe that I wasn't aware of until recently. Spider-woman is pretty much a tranny clone of Peter Parker...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, Ultimate Colossus is gay. He commented on Angel to Nightcrawler and Kurt had moral hissy fit. It was a pretty well done plot line, for the time.

I agree. I'd like to see a more prominent character, who happens to be gay, but PLEASE don't retcon established characters for the purpose. It's pandering and the LGBT comic geeks don't need it, thank you very much.
    HM2

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkHeart View Post
    Yeah, Ultimate Colossus is gay. He commented on Angel to Nightcrawler and Kurt had moral hissy fit. It was a pretty well done plot line, for the time.

I agree. I'd like to see a more prominent character, who happens to be gay, but PLEASE don't retcon established characters for the purpose. It's pandering and the LGBT comic geeks don't need it, thank you very much.
    Have you read "Midnighter"? He's an awesome character with interesting powers. For me, the focus was to much on his sexuality but if there is going to be gay characters, he's the way to do it, with it being his back story from the beginning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'll have to find some TPBs. I really got out of comic books when I enlisted and after the whole new DCU thing I just lost all patients for them. I'll still read some indy stuff from time to time but Midnighter sounds like it might be up my ally. Thanks.
    HM2

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkHeart View Post
    I'll have to find some TPBs. I really got out of comic books when I enlisted and after the whole new DCU thing I just lost all patients for them. I'll still read some indy stuff from time to time but Midnighter sounds like it might be up my ally. Thanks.
    It's a DC book...the most recent issues came out last year but he's been a part of the DCU for quite awhile. I think he started in Batman stories.

Oh...and the DCU is starting anew once more...today...going away from the New 52. They are very adamant that it's not another reboot...it's a "continuation with roots to the original".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Because of course they did.

facepalm.jpg
    HM2

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    It's a DC book...the most recent issues came out last year but he's been a part of the DCU for quite awhile. I think he started in Batman stories.

Oh...and the DCU is starting anew once more...today...going away from the New 52. They are very adamant that it's not another reboot...it's a "continuation with roots to the original".
    I hope Supes gets to keep his current suit.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    I hope Supes gets to keep his current suit.
    It's going to be the Superman who's married to Lois with Superboy already born. So a continuation from the recent Lois and Clark series.

They're also bring back Nightwing (getting away from the Grayson spy book) which I'm looking forward to.
    Last edited by sandsjames; 05-25-2016 at 02:38 PM.