Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: House drops plans to make women register for draft

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    This is a perfect reason why taxpayers shouldn't be paying for contraception at all when it comes to "women's healthcare". If the unwanted pregnancy rates are the same for those with free contraception and those without it then quit trying to require healthcare companies to finance it.
    I'd rather they pay for contraceptives than have taxpayers foot the bill for WIC and welfare payments when the single mom can't support the kid.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FuelShopTech1 View Post
    I'd rather they pay for contraceptives than have taxpayers foot the bill for WIC and welfare payments when the single mom can't support the kid.
    While i too would rather pay for contraception, which depending on which one gets given may be a once a month-once a year thing, compared to the oodles of cash spent caring for the eventual sprogets that would result, i think we need to push personal responsibility more.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FuelShopTech1 View Post
    Did you read the post? Unwanted pregnancy rates are the same for those who receive free contraception as for those who don't.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    While i too would rather pay for contraception, which depending on which one gets given may be a once a month-once a year thing, compared to the oodles of cash spent caring for the eventual sprogets that would result, i think we need to push personal responsibility more.
    This is one of the reasons why conservatives need to stop freaking the fuck out if someone on public assistance has enough money, after paying bills and purchasing necessities, to do something other than stare at the wall when they get home.

There's a reason why the poorer the country, the bigger the AIDS epidemic... which is reflected even in socioeconomic status in the US: engaging in recreational activities costs money.

Going hunting, fishing, or camping costs money. Even the more "normal" shit, such as going to a movie theater or buying a new X-Box game every now and then costs money.

What's the one recreational activity that's 100% free? Sex. Put a bunch of people who can't afford to do anything else all in one place, and what do you think is going to happen?
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    What's the one recreational activity that's 100% free? Sex. Put a bunch of people who can't afford to do anything else all in one place, and what do you think is going to happen?
    It's only free because we continue to fund it the unwanted children. The fact that you mention it being free shows the mindset of zero consequence...even though people know that kids are expensive they don't have a reason to be careful.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    It's only free because we continue to fund it the unwanted children. The fact that you mention it being free shows the mindset of zero consequence...even though people know that kids are expensive they don't have a reason to be careful.
    Well... saying that sex costs money presumes that sex will result in pregnancy 100% of the time.

The more important thing, however, is this: once the children are here, in a civilized society, they can't be punished and left to suffer because of the decisions that their parents made.

At the end of the day, we're all human and we're going to want to have sex. However... I think that when people are able to engage in hobbies or other non-sexual recreational activities, sex is less likely to be a first resort.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

The more important thing, however, is this: once the children are here, in a civilized society, they can't be punished and left to suffer because of the decisions that their parents made.
    The problem is that it's punishing the children for generations to come. It creates a cycle. Of course we should help the kids, but we can't enable people to continue being irresponsible.

At the end of the day, we're all human and we're going to want to have sex. However... I think that when people are able to engage in hobbies or other non-sexual recreational activities, sex is less likely to be a first resort.
    Agree...though there are plenty of hobbies and recreation activities that are very inexpensive. Maybe, instead of funding birth control, we should fund hobbies and recreational activities?

Tell you what, though. We had a yard sale and several "needy" families come by yard sales looking for a cheap buy. We couldn't give away our old board games. When I was a kid, and living well below the poverty level, almost every evening was spent playing board games. Try to get a family to do that now...good luck. People don't want to do cheap hobbies. They want to do the same hobbies that the middle/upper class are doing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    What's the one recreational activity that's 100% free?
    Go to the public library and read a book.
    As Libertarians, we seek a world of liberty; a world in which all individuals are sovereign over their own lives and no one is forced to sacrifice his or her values for the benefit of others

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USN - Retired View Post
    Go to the public library and read a book.
    Doesn't seem to be working very well, does it? I doubt that even anyone posting here has to been to a library lately.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    We couldn't give away our old board games. When I was a kid, and living well below the poverty level, almost every evening was spent playing board games. Try to get a family to do that now...good luck. People don't want to do cheap hobbies. They want to do the same hobbies that the middle/upper class are doing.
    Yea.. Most kids seem to wanna spend more time on their laptops/cell phones than actually "unplug' and socialize"..

Doesn't seem to be working very well, does it? I doubt that even anyone posting here has to been to a library lately.

I go quite often. More to check out vids and music, but i still have grabbed books...