Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Army investigates: Are these West Point cadets making a political statement in unifor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    One thing I've noticed is that the contempt for officers is the worst in the Navy. It's pretty bad in the Air Force too; but there appears to be very little in the Army and Marine Corps.
    Probably exacerbated by the Wardroom, Chief's Mess, Crew's Mess divide.

Personally, I think the Marine Officers have their shit together the best from both a 'taking care of people', 'being examples' and leadership. In part it is because of the attitude of the SNCO's and their guidance and support in training the new Lieutenants, in part they are (broad statement) much more involved on a day to day basis with their Marines than Company Grade Officers in the other services.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    One thing I've noticed is that the contempt for officers is the worst in the Navy. It's pretty bad in the Air Force too; but there appears to be very little in the Army and Marine Corps.
    I think that's because, in the Army and the Marine Corps, you'll actually see officers in the field. I can't speak for the Navy, but Air Force officers lead from an office or a staff car, always. Of course I'm not talking about the pilots, because that's an entirely different situation. But as far as the Command Staff goes, life is pretty cozy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    I think that's because, in the Army and the Marine Corps, you'll actually see officers in the field. I can't speak for the Navy, but Air Force officers lead from an office or a staff car, always. Of course I'm not talking about the pilots, because that's an entirely different situation. But as far as the Command Staff goes, life is pretty cozy.
    In the Navy most officers (except SeALs, EOD, NCB etc.) don't 'go to the field', we go to sea (arrrrgggghhhhhhhh!!!!!). The Navy is the service (IMO) that segregates their enlisted and officers the most ... to me it is a bit ridiculous how far it is separate ... but it is what it is. Granted, most of my counterparts (folks not from a different service) don't understand why I think it contributes to an us vs. them mentality. I am not cozy with my Sailors, but am often told I am a very approachable officer ... it is possible.

I will agree with you that most USAF officers I have known did not know how to get up and go engage people. That said, one of the best officers I ever served with (2014-2016) was a USAF Col (pilot turned Intel) who was a taskmaster for work but vicious about taking care of his folks (officer & enlisted).
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    Is a "derog' report like a SAER (Subject Access Eligibility Report) for personnel indoctrinated into SCI? I am unfamiliar with that term.

If you were aware of your command or higher headquarters circumventing security procedures for senior personnel, did you contact your IG?
    I was pretty junior and all I was told is that the BDE S2 was "handling" everything. All I had was secondhand info from the NCOIC and I never saw the derogatory report. So I don't know what all was even in it. This is the reg for reporting unfavorable information: http://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/r600_37.pdf

I can't remember the form it's been awhile. But that incident was just relayed and I don't know what even happened if anything and even if that happened. My LT didn't even get much about it. I would assume the BDE S2 was doing what they needed to do. But I don't know. I don't even know if the story that NCO told me was true.