Thread: Whitewashing

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Whitewashing

https://www.facebook.com/topic/Marve...67713258230333

Here is an article from another critic criticizing Marvel for having a white actor play the part of a traditionally non-white character. For some reason, this has become a huge deal in Hollywood lately.

What is fails to mention is that Marvel also now has a female Thor, a black Spider-man, a black Captain America, a female Wolverine, several gay characters, even main characters, etc. Strikes me that this critic was just jumping on the bandwagon.

Marvel (and DC as well) have become two of the most diverse publishers out there, almost to the point of patronizing.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/topic/Marve...67713258230333

Here is an article from another critic criticizing Marvel for having a white actor play the part of a traditionally non-white character. For some reason, this has become a huge deal in Hollywood lately.

What is fails to mention is that Marvel also now has a female Thor, a black Spider-man, a black Captain America, a female Wolverine, several gay characters, even main characters, etc. Strikes me that this critic was just jumping on the bandwagon.

Marvel (and DC as well) have become two of the most diverse publishers out there, almost to the point of patronizing.
    It's pretty common in comics for a character to temporarily die off or retire, leaving someone else to pick up the mantle (for example, a couple years back, Bruce Wayne died. So Dick Grayson had to step up and become Batman).

Sometimes, it's a white character stepping down and a black character stepping up (Captain America, Spider-Man), and sometimes it's a male character stepping down and a female character stepping up (Thor).

These, I take no issue with. But if a woman is going to be Donald Blake (which was omitted from the movie anyway), or a black man is going to be Peter Parker then, yes, I take issue with that.

BTW, I remember reading somewhere that both Captain America and Spider-Man were originally supposed to be black.

But they made Captain America white, because the Tuskegee Experiments were exposed at the time. Spider-Man became white, because he was poor and being raised by adult relatives other than his parents, and they were worried about perpetuating a stereotype.

Of course, when Luke Cage came out, the popularity of "Blaxploitation" films gave Marvel more freedom to not hold back when developing black American characters.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    It's pretty common in comics for a character to temporarily die off or retire, leaving someone else to pick up the mantle (for example, a couple years back, Bruce Wayne died. So Dick Grayson had to step up and become Batman).

Sometimes, it's a white character stepping down and a black character stepping up (Captain America, Spider-Man), and sometimes it's a male character stepping down and a female character stepping up (Thor).

These, I take no issue with. But if a woman is going to be Donald Blake (which was omitted from the movie anyway), or a black man is going to be Peter Parker then, yes, I take issue with that.

BTW, I remember reading somewhere that both Captain America and Spider-Man were originally supposed to be black.

But they made Captain America white, because the Tuskegee Experiments were exposed at the time. Spider-Man became white, because he was poor and being raised by adult relatives other than his parents, and they were worried about perpetuating a stereotype.

Of course, when Luke Cage came out, the popularity of "Blaxploitation" films gave Marvel more freedom to not hold back when developing black American characters.
    I agree. I don't mind a black Captain America if it is Falcon who has become Captain America. I would not like, however, if the made Steve Rogers black.

The TV show Flash has made Iris and Wally West black, which isn't how they are in the comics, but it's not something I would think about complaining to DC about.

My problem is with the focus put on Hollywood lately for whitewashing. I think it has nothing to do with race and much more to do with profits. Which actors will put butts in the seat. It is a business.

I'm ok with Will Smith as Deadshot, though I didn't think I would be. I didn't like a black Johnny Storm, simply because it didn't fit with the origins.
    Last edited by sandsjames; 04-29-2016 at 09:29 PM.