Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: $20 Bill

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

$20 Bill

http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/20/news...man/index.html

So it looks like it's gonna happen, as well as several women's suffrage movement members being on the back of the $10. Now if we could just get Caitlyn on a bill we'll be good.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/20/news...man/index.html

So it looks like it's gonna happen, as well as several women's suffrage movement members being on the back of the $10. Now if we could just get Caitlyn on a bill we'll be good.
    So... this is really going to piss everyone off. Abolition and women's suffrage were two distinct movements, and many people who feel strongly about one are going to feel that their movement will have been cheapened by theirs being put on the same bill as the other.

Well, then of course, you're going to have people like Rainmaker and garhkal who think everything should be about the white male; and get pissed off when they find out that it's not.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    you're going to have people like Rainmaker and garhkal who think everything should be about the white male; and get pissed off when they find out that it's not.
    Pissed off? At first Rainmaker thought this was just another joke article from the Onion.

Because, who in the Hell would ever think they'd try and put a picture of Aunt Jemima on a dub? You really can't make this stuff up.
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 04-22-2016 at 09:29 PM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    So... this is really going to piss everyone off. Abolition and women's suffrage were two distinct movements, and many people who feel strongly about one are going to feel that their movement will have been cheapened by theirs being put on the same bill as the other.

Well, then of course, you're going to have people like Rainmaker and garhkal who think everything should be about the white male; and get pissed off when they find out that it's not.
    The only thing i see about this that irks me, is why did they rip jackson off to the back side, to put her on the front. YES he had slaves, but many others did in those days.. Doesn't mean he was bad for the US.

It just strikes me as pandering to the left.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    The only thing i see about this that irks me, is why did they rip jackson off to the back side, to put her on the front.
    I don't think this has much to do with it ... but of all the people currently on currency, he (Andrew Jackson) is the only one who advocated for the disestablishment of a US central bank and advocated for only using hard (struck) currency.

If anyone wouldn't want their portrait on a paper bill, it would be Jackson.

I have noted some people saying it is appropriate for Tubman to replace Jackson since he was a slave owner. This ignores the fact that George Washington ($1 bill) owned slaves, Alexander Hamilton ($10 bill) owned them early in his life then became an abolitionist, Benjamin Franklin ($100 bill) owned them.

Bigger picture, if we are going to recognize women on currency, Harriet Tubman is an appropriate place to start.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    I have noted some people saying it is appropriate for Tubman to replace Jackson since he was a slave owner. This ignores the fact that George Washington ($1 bill) owned slaves, Alexander Hamilton ($10 bill) owned them early in his life then became an abolitionist, Benjamin Franklin ($100 bill) owned them.

Bigger picture, if we are going to recognize women on currency, Harriet Tubman is an appropriate place to start.
    That's why i heard from a lot of pundits why jackson was removed "he was a big bad slave owner'.. BUT lots of former presidents prior to the civil war were

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    That's why i heard from a lot of pundits why jackson was removed "he was a big bad slave owner'.. BUT lots of former presidents prior to the civil war were
    Actually, it had more to do with the Indian Removal Act and Trail of Tears, among other things dealing with Native Americans.

Personally, if a woman had to be on the $20 bill, I wanted it to be Mother Jones. But she was never presented as an option, and Wall Street would never allow it in the first place.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Actually, it had more to do with the Indian Removal Act and Trail of Tears, among other things dealing with Native Americans.

Personally, if a woman had to be on the $20 bill, I wanted it to be Mother Jones. But she was never presented as an option, and Wall Street would never allow it in the first place.
    I know this has come up before but I can easily see Tubman long before Mother Jones as I don't think most people have ever heard of Mother Jones. I just polled my office and 1 person had heard of her but wasn't aware of why he'd heard of her. I think that it needs to be a little more high profile than that if it's going to change, even though I think changing it is ridiculous in the first place.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    I know this has come up before but I can easily see Tubman long before Mother Jones as I don't think most people have ever heard of Mother Jones. I just polled my office and 1 person had heard of her but wasn't aware of why he'd heard of her. I think that it needs to be a little more high profile than that if it's going to change, even though I think changing it is ridiculous in the first place.
    That's mostly because the labor movements of the late 19th and early 20th century aren't taught in our schools as much as they should be. We only got two or three weeks' worth in 11th grade history when I was in school.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That's mostly because the labor movements of the late 19th and early 20th century aren't taught in our schools as much as they should be. We only got two or three weeks' worth in 11th grade history when I was in school.
    Probably depends on the district. We heard about it a lot in US History (my 10th grade history). My district's History plan was:

9th: 1 semester Louisiana History, 1 semester World Geography
    10th: US History
    11th: Civics & Government (Optional)
    12th: World History (Optional)
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.