Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It has been my pleasure

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UncaRastus View Post
    Wow, my memory is getting way worse! I could swear that it is still the 4th... Or did anyone else notice the MTF taking some time off? Whoa!!!
    Nope. Was not just you..

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Nope. Was not just you..
    Rainmaker thought maybe Unca forgot to pay the MTF light bill
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 04-12-2016 at 05:59 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Doc, sorry about the lateness of this post, but i was sorry to read about your situation brother. Hope shit isn't going too bad for you
    Disclaimer: All names, dates and locations have been changed in order to protect the guilty.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    USMC0341,

Thanks for the good wishes!

I have this lingering thing, brought on by the USN deciding to try out an experimental surgery on me, at the point when I was 2 years from retiring.

They did an internal/external carotid artery bypass, on the left temple. As a result of trying out this new location, a lot of guys went on to the battlefield in the sky. I had a very good and kind CO, who let me serve out my 20.

Ever since then, my mind has slowly been losing the memory functions. The left temporal lobe being host to retaining short term memories, and this surgery making my left temporal lobe disappear, I am now at the point where I really can't remember what was said to me, 1 minute ago. I have to recheck what I am typing, even in here, to make sure that whatever I am trying to say remains coherent.

Sitting on the porch, warning kids not to enter my lawn has become very trying. I have to keep on checking if my trench sweeping 12 gauge is on safe, or isn't on safe. Just wait! It may happen to you, in about 70 years, too!

All kidding aside, it isn't Alzheimer's disease. It is just a slow progression into losing whatever is told to me. Or driving down the road, to check out what the fire status is, on the billboard on Main Street becomes a challenge, because I have sometimes driven past it 3 or 4 times, before I remember what I was out there for.

OK, so it also might be because this is a resort town, with a harbor, and plenty of shops, where barely clad women congregate. Yes. I am checking out the fire status, at the fire station.

That's what I tell my wife.

Driving isn't much of a problem. Some old habits have yet to die. Main Street has a speed limit of 15 mph, and watching for people pulling their vehicles out of their parking spaces is a present time thing, so there isn't any memory involved. Muscle memory keeps my braking ability intact.

Next time I go in to renew my driving license may be the time that I stop driving. "What is your name?" "Wait a second, while I check to see what it is, on my old driver's license, please!" "OK, you are now getting a state ID."

At least I can come back here, every once in awhile, and read some of my old posts, and laugh, and think what a great comedian I was. Because whatever I did post is new to me, every time I come in here.

Well I THINK that I am a great comedian. Others may have a hard time seeing my sense of humor coming through.

Anyhow, it was nice hearing from you! Have a great life!
    Theirs not to question why, theirs but to do and die, into the valley of spam, rode the Super Moderators

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Hope you have an enjoyable rest of yours as well..

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Hope you have an enjoyable rest of yours as well..
    Well, It sounds to me, like our old devil dog Unca's got what effectively amounts to a 'get out of jail free card'!
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 08-12-2016 at 07:16 PM.