Thread: 3 Sikh soldiers file lawsuit to keep beards, turbans

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

3 Sikh soldiers file lawsuit to keep beards, turbans

http://www.armytimes.com/story/milit...bans/82385238/

"Three Sikh soldiers — a reservist and two guardsmen — have joined in a lawsuit that accuses the Army of "blatant religious discrimination" and demands immediate approval of religious-accommodation requests made by the trio that would let them keep their long hair, beards and turbans in uniform."

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    When they signed up, they just supposed that having beards and turbans was a given thing?

If this goes through, I can imagine that Pastafarians will be allowed to wear kevlar colanders, also.
    Theirs not to question why, theirs but to do and die, into the valley of spam, rode the Super Moderators

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UncaRastus View Post
    When they signed up, they just supposed that having beards and turbans was a given thing?

If this goes through, I can imagine that Pastafarians will be allowed to wear kevlar colanders, also.
    Unca, this just shows you how things have changed. When we enlisted we realized that you gave up some of your rights as to dress, haircuts, etc.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I think it's because there already is a lawsuit in the works with a soldier who is Sikh before these three.

If there are religious waivers for every other religion, I don't see why these guys can't get one. They have proven that they can get a gas mask on over their beards. I'm pretty sure one made it through basic with his beard and turban and had zero issues.

I had thought this was resolved and it was ruled that they could keep their beards and turbans. I swear I read about this being resolved but apparently not.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sparks82 View Post
    If there are religious waivers for every other religion, I don't see why these guys can't get one. They have proven that they can get a gas mask on over their beards. I'm pretty sure one made it through basic with his beard and turban and had zero issues.
    That's what makes me "pull out my hair' though. I can't have Christian symbols on display, but Sihks, muslims etc, get all sorts of 'waivers' for this and that.. Why is it Christianity is the only religion that Doesn't get any thing (other than dumped on)???

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    That's what makes me "pull out my hair' though. I can't have Christian symbols on display, but Sihks, muslims etc, get all sorts of 'waivers' for this and that.. Why is it Christianity is the only religion that Doesn't get any thing (other than dumped on)???
    Oh give me a fucking break. Christians are not "dumped on." Every time we have some ceremony do we have a Muslim led prayer? A Jewish led prayer? No. It's always Christian led no matter how generic they try to make it. Christianity is pushed so much it's ridiculous.

It's all in AR 600-20. Anyone can wear religious items while in uniform as long as they are "neat and conservative." If it doesn't meet standards in AR 670-1 it can't be worn unless there is a religious accommodation granted. As long as they don't interfere with the performance of the soldier, they are authorized. If it doesn't meet 670-1 standards you can wear it while present a worship serve, rite or other ritual "distinct to faith or denominational group."

I have yet to see Christians in the Army get "dumped on" in the last almost 12 years I've been in. If anyone gets "dumped on" it's the non-religious personnel.

What Muslims or others have gotten waivers? As far as this says, Sikhs haven't gotten waivers yet. They submitted them and are waiting to get a response.