Thread: LeJeune Marine's PT Death Leads to New Safety Measures

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

LeJeune Marine's PT Death Leads to New Safety Measures

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/stor...ures/80794992/

The Marine Corps is taking steps to better prevent heat-related injuries and deaths after a North Carolina-based corporal died during a 6-mile hike last summer.

Cpl. Alexis Aaron Alcaraz, a 22-year-old field radio operator assigned to 1st Battalion, 8th Marines, fell out of a unit hump just before sunrise Aug. 13 at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina. Officials concluded that he died of heat stroke, according to the investigation into his death, which was obtained by Marine Corps Times via a Freedom of Information Act request.

cont.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    While I was stationed at Parris Island, SC, the first full time duty station after switching over to the USN, I was in charge of the Heat Unit, which was used to bring back heat stroke victims to the real world.

After receiving a recruit that had already been iced by a corpsman, out on the PT field, the first thing was to strip her or him down, place a thermometer probe into the anus, then to lift the recruit into a bathtub full of ice and water.

The temperature probe was to monitor the recruit's core temperature.

There was a canvas cover to the tub, which was placed over the top of the tub, with only the recruit's head protruding out of the top of the cover.

Within seconds, the recruit's temperature always plummeted down from around 106 to 108 degrees F, down into the upper 80s degree range, upon which happening, the recruit was lifted out of the tub, placed into a wheelchair, and rolled down to the shower, where he or she was treated to a tepid shower.

The recruit got a 3 day light duty pass after getting out of the shower.

I was manager of the Heat Team for 2 years, and we never lost a single recruit to heat stroking.

I wonder if the corpsmen on the scene had any coolers full of ice, as was required on Parris island, to do the initial icing down of this Marine?

I also wonder if the corpsmen were aware of the signs of a heat stroke? ie., red, hot, and dry? As opposed to the signs of heat prostration, which are pale, cool, and sweaty?

Also, if they were trained to do the icing in the first place? The initial icing was done by placing a sheet over the patient, pouring water over the sheet, then putting ice over the groin, armpits, and the neck.

There should have been an ambulance or two accompanying the hike, which should have been carrying the requisite sheet(s), cooler(s) full of iced water, and some coolers with ice.

Or has the USN decided that using these time tested short term remedies is now not needed?

I can see how as to the temperature at the base was in the low 70s, but still ...
    Theirs not to question why, theirs but to do and die, into the valley of spam, rode the Super Moderators

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UncaRastus View Post
    the first thing was to strip her or him down, place a thermometer probe into the anus, then to lift the recruit into a bathtub full of ice and water.

Or has the USN decided that using these time tested short term remedies is now not needed?

Unfortunately Unca, due to the Budget Control Act of 2011, there's no longer any funding available for thermometers so, the "anal temperature probe" is no longer being conducted at Paris Island. This harsh new Fiscal reality demands that the recruits make do without some of those luxuries they've been accustomed to having in the past.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Rainydude, I never did quite think any of the recruits thought that the procedure was a perk. Well, except one or two of the female recruits liked having the probe placed where it was ...

And I may have missed in placing the probe ...

Not.
    Theirs not to question why, theirs but to do and die, into the valley of spam, rode the Super Moderators