Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Justice Scalia dead. Who should replace, and should it come this year or next?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Justice Scalia dead. Who should replace, and should it come this year or next?

So, the weekend and all today's news (so far) keeps focusing on the death of Justice Scalia and whether Obama should or shouldn't appoint a replacement (keeping with tradition), or hold off so the voters can have a say via nominating the next president..

What say you all?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The President has a Constitutional duty to appoint a replacement (no mention in the Constitution on the length of time left in the President's term having anything to do with it).

The Senate has a Constitutional duty to provide advice and consent to any appointee to the Court. The Senate is not intended to be a rubber stamp to a nominee.

In 2007 Democrats suggested President Bush should not name an appointee since he was a lame duck; IMO that was incorrect. Republicans doing the same thing now would be (IMO) just as incorrect. Granted, the Republicans control the Senate, so they can sit on a nomination or reject it by a floor vote ... Both methods are Constitutional. Delaying an appointment until President Obama is no longer in office would not freeze the Court (only six Justices are required for a quorum) but would be unprecedented (almost triple any previous gap).

Appointing a Justice to the Supreme Court is one of (if not THE) most long reaching exercise of Executive power the President has.

I will be interested to see who is named (knowing Republicans) are likely to reject any appointee named first); the first nominee is likely not the one he will really want/intend on being seated.
    Last edited by Mjölnir; 02-15-2016 at 08:50 PM.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    So, the weekend and all today's news (so far) keeps focusing on the death of Justice Scalia and whether Obama should or shouldn't appoint a replacement (keeping with tradition), or hold off so the voters can have a say via nominating the next president..

What say you all?
    The voters already had their say on who was supposed to nominate SC justices already, at least for the period from 2012 to 2016. That "say" was the Presidential election, they get their say again at the ballot box in November for the period of 2017 to 2021.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeKerriii View Post
    The voters already had their say on who was supposed to nominate SC justices already, at least for the period from 2012 to 2016. That "say" was the Presidential election, they get their say again at the ballot box in November for the period of 2017 to 2021.
    You are correct...and unfortunately that means we're gonna get some Quinoa eating, Prius driving, gender neutral, "don't tell your kids they're bad", guns are evil judge for the next 40 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    You are correct...and unfortunately that means we're gonna get some Quinoa eating, Prius driving, gender neutral, "don't tell your kids they're bad", guns are evil judge for the next 40 years.
    Wait a minute now, I own two Prius!!

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by retiredAFcivvy View Post
    I believe the plural is "Prii"...

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post

I will be interested to see who is named
    The next nominee will likely be a Mexican, lesbian-transgender, jewish, Black Lives Matters activist that has recently converted to Islam.

The MSM will spend the next year script-reading lies, like the supreme court being made up of non-partisan/non-political, wise sages. But, also lecturing us that it's very important to have a court that "looks like America" (meaning no White, Anglo-Saxon, Protestant males are allowed)

Quote Originally Posted by retiredAFcivvy View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q9tPxcMDzg
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 02-17-2016 at 03:21 AM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    That would royally suck imo to have someone hitting even 1 of those items you mentioned, especially the last part (converted to Islam)..

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    That would royally suck imo to have someone hitting even 1 of those items you mentioned, especially the last part (converted to Islam)..
    I hate to break it to ya, but there is already a Jewish person on the SC, I know that royally sucks for you but it it true, Hispanics are a threat to the Nation on the SC? The secret to being a bigot anf getting away with it is not to say such openly bigoted BS

BTW what is wrong with having a Gay justice on the SC?

You do know that religious test for that postilion are Unconstitutional and un-American? Anyone who has read the Constitution would know that.

That is as clueless as you famous statement about a black patients and the Klan doctor.
    Last edited by MikeKerriii; 02-18-2016 at 04:43 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeKerriii View Post
    I hate to break it to ya, but there is already a Jewish person on the SC, I know that royally sucks for you but it it true, Hispanics are a threat to the Nation on the SC? The secret to being a bigot anf getting away with it is not to say such openly bigoted BS

BTW what is wrong with having a Gay justice on the SC?

You do know that religious test for that postilion are Unconstitutional and un-American? Anyone who has read the Constitution would know that.

That is as clueless as you famous statement about a black patients and the Klan doctor.
    Why, why, why did you respond to his obvious trolling? We'd made it almost a full day without someone biting.