Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LAUSD closed due to thread

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

LAUSD closed due to thread

In case you didn't hear this morning... Los Angeles Unified School District closed all schools today based off a threat that was emailed in.

Which, from what I'm picking up....second largest school district in the U.S. Some 900 schools serving near 600,000 students...lots of chaos in the city this morning.

"The preliminary assessment is that it was a hoax or something
    designed to disrupt school districts in large cities. The investigation
    is ongoing as to where the threat originated from and who was
    responsible," Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Burbank) said in a statement.

Another local congressman, Brad Sherman, said the person who sent
    an email threat to several Los Angeles Unified School board members
    claimed to be "an extremist Muslim who has teamed up with local
    jihadists,
    " according to Congressman Brad Sherman.
    "The email
    makes relatively specific and wide-ranging threats to Los Angeles
    schools," said Sherman (D-Los Angeles), a senior member of the House
    Foreign Affairs Committee.

"The text of the email does not demonstrate that the
    author has studied Islam or has any particular understanding of Islam,"
    he added. The only thing known, Sherman said, was that the email was
    "sent by an evil person."
    The email also mentioned explosive
    devices, assault rifles and pistols and was traced to an IP address in
    Frankfurt, Germany, according to law enforcement sources.
    All
    campuses were closed Tuesday morning after receiving what officials have
    called a "credible threat" of violence involving backpacks and packages
    left at campuses. Still, one law enforcement source familiar with the
    evidence said there was no sign that "this individual is actually
    capable of carrying out the threat."
    If you work in a DOD office at all...you probably have one of those "Bomb Threat" cards near your phone that tells you what information to try and get if a bomb threat is called in.

So, I have a question:

Do real bombers/terrorists ever call in their attack beforehand...and do extremist Mulsims say "I am an extremist Muslim"? Or are all phoned in threats hoaxes...why go through all the trouble of planting a bomb and then call it in to avoid the damage you intended to begin with? If you don't want anyone hurt, just bomb an empty warehouse or something.

I never quite understood the phoned in bomb threat scenario. Have there been actual cases where the bomber saved lives by calling it in before his bomb went off?

I can appreciate the school board's position...I mean, no one wants to be the guy that ignored a threat that turns out to be real....but who doesn't think some high school kid didn't finish his report last night?
    Last edited by Bos Mutus; 12-15-2015 at 09:05 PM.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    In case you didn't hear this morning... Los Angeles Unified School District closed all schools today based off a threat that was emailed in.

Which, from what I'm picking up....second largest school district in the U.S. Some 900 schools serving near 600,000 students...lots of chaos in the city this morning.

If you work in a DOD office at all...you probably have one of those "Bomb Threat" cards near your phone that tells you what information to try and get if a bomb threat is called in.

So, I have a question:

Do real bombers/terrorists ever call in their attack beforehand...and do extremist Mulsims say "I am an extremist Muslim"? Or are all phoned in threats hoaxes...why go through all the trouble of planting a bomb and then call it in to avoid the damage you intended to begin with? If you don't want anyone hurt, just bomb an empty warehouse or something.

I never quite understood the phoned in bomb threat scenario. Have there been actual cases where the bomber saved lives by calling it in before his bomb went off?

I can appreciate the school board's position...I mean, no one wants to be the guy that ignored a threat that turns out to be real....but who doesn't think some high school kid didn't finish his report last night?
    The only reason is to create fear and chaos. As you said, the school board had no choice.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

So, I have a question:

Trump's fault

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

My first thought was that someone might have sent the threat to either:
    1) distract the LEOs from something else, something bigger (they had to search and clear 900 schools in a day - I have my doubts that this task was even accomplished).
    2) test the response and procedures for use in future operations. A threat was made in NYC as well, but was blown off.
    3) just plain old puppetmaster stuff. Pull the strings and watch them dance. I'm sure it freaked out many parents in the area.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    The only reason is to create fear and chaos. As you said, the school board had no choice.
    As NYCs actions prove, the School Board did have a choice.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeKerriii View Post
    As NYCs actions prove, the School Board did have a choice.
    Well, there's always a choice, but I think LAUSD made the right move. Of course hindsight is always 20/20, but imagine if they had thought it was a hoax, kept kids in school, and a bomb went off somewhere. Then people would be bitching about LAUSD taking chances with children's lives. So I'm ok with the decisions made in both LA and NY.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by efmbman View Post
    My first thought was that someone might have sent the threat to either:
    1) distract the LEOs from something else, something bigger (they had to search and clear 900 schools in a day - I have my doubts that this task was even accomplished).
    2) test the response and procedures for use in future operations. A threat was made in NYC as well, but was blown off.
    3) just plain old puppetmaster stuff. Pull the strings and watch them dance. I'm sure it freaked out many parents in the area.
    Makes me think of Diehard 3...

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Well, there's always a choice, but I think LAUSD made the right move. Of course hindsight is always 20/20, but imagine if they had thought it was a hoax, kept kids in school, and a bomb went off somewhere. Then people would be bitching about LAUSD taking chances with children's lives. So I'm ok with the decisions made in both LA and NY.
    Exactly. Damned if you do, damned if you don't sort of situation. They are getting flack now for over responding. BUT had they not, and like NY did, considered it a hoax and something DID happen, they would imo be getting even MORE flack.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    fifty times it happens, The people that did this now know they can get a large amount of disruption at very low cost and at low risk. Anyone else watching got the same message

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

So, I have a question:

The IRA used to phone in their bomb threats. They had a prearranged code they gave the authorities so that it could be confirmed as real. The Brits would then evacuate the premises. Of course they didn't always call, sometimes it didn't work (Omagh), and not all factions did this but it did save some lives.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself