Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: An LOC for making a joke about SSgt Stone

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
    It still sounded like the original joke was a bit over the line. I saw a funny meme on Facebook yesterday it said, "Just to prove men are better at everything, we won woman of the year" then it has a picture of Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner.

To me, that's a funny joke. I laughed, I shared it. Would I post that joke on the work bulletin board? No, I definitely wouldn't I probably wouldn't even forward it through email. Let's say someone does send that joke around the office though. A few of the women see it and they laugh. Does that mean it is appropriate? What happens the next time they don't get put in for an award? Are they coming back to that joke and say, MSgt XXX thinks men are better at everything, that's why he never puts in women for an award"

It's best just to cut the questionable jokes off. That doesn't mean you can't tell them at the bar or laugh at them. Probably a good idea to keep them out of the work environment though.

P.S. One more example. I worked in a shop with a lady that had a mentally retarded child. I've heard people say "that's retarded" referring to something being dumb or stupid. It really offended this woman when people used that phrase. If she wasn't around and someone said that I'd usually let them know It wasn't a smart idea. Just because no one was around to be offended doesn't mean it is a good idea to use offensive words. You never know when someone is offended but just doesn't speak up until one day when they snap.
    This is more reasonable.

It is a plain and direct explanation that talks about being a good leader.

Unlike the weak and spineless Sandsjames model of leadership.

Plus, it doesn't make use of bad analogies about ponies and over inflated tires.

I can understand what your point is. Sounds like you have actually been a leader and not a disgruntled mid-level NCO who went to the NCOA with a bad attitude.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by giggawatt View Post
    Did you mean to do this?
    LOL...good catch.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    Sounds like you have actually been a leader and not a disgruntled mid-level NCO who went to the NCOA with a bad attitude.
    I actually went with a good attitude, looking forward to learning something helpful. Then I was taught that bullet statements are only supposed to be two parts, not three. Of course when I mentioned this to my supervisor once I got back to my base, he said that it didn't matter what they taught us because "everywhere uses three part" and "it's always been that way". The Chief concurred. So that was a major eye opener about how leadership is cool making up policies as they go, even if they conflict with AFIs and AETC accredited courses, as long as it fits their preference.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    I actually went with a good attitude, looking forward to learning something helpful. Then I was taught that bullet statements are only supposed to be two parts, not three. Of course when I mentioned this to my supervisor once I got back to my base, he said that it didn't matter what they taught us because "everywhere uses three part" and "it's always been that way". The Chief concurred. So that was a major eye opener about how leadership is cool making up policies as they go, even if they conflict with AFIs and AETC accredited courses, as long as it fits their preference.
    I've never seen a three part bullet, that must be a PowerPro thing.

Well, at least they didn't tell you to shut up or give you an order.

Because you told Rastus that that kind of thing never happens in the Air Force.

I bet you could have convinced them to get inline with what NCOA was teaching if you explained it to them better.

You didn't use one of your bad analogies about snow tires and ponies writing EPRs, did you?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    That as has been true of every military since the Sargon the Greats army at least, especially on trivia like how many parts are in a bullet point. You were a NCO when you learned that basic fact of military life?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeKerriii View Post
    That as has been true of every military since the Sargon the Greats army at least, especially on trivia like how many parts are in a bullet point. You were a NCO when you learned that basic fact of military life?
    That's not when I learned it. That's when all the stuff I'd been "whining" about was confirmed.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    That's not when I learned it. That's when all the stuff I'd been "whining" about was confirmed.
    Then you were not paying attention, I learns all of that an the futility of whining about it before I put on A1C, much less before I became an NCO as a E-4, That is A comes before B level of knowledge in mitary life, Just like the danger of allowing an officer to even hold a screwdriver.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    See SJ, even Mike says you shouldn't whine.

Well, I think that is what he said.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    See SJ, even Mike says you shouldn't whine.

Well, I think that is what he said.
    I think that's what he said, too. I wish I learns that.