Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Air Force to Triple Maternity Leave to 18 Weeks, Top Civilian Says

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Air Force to Triple Maternity Leave to 18 Weeks, Top Civilian Says

The U.S. Air Force plans to triple maternity leave for female airmen, the service's top civilian has announced.

The change would expand the leave from six weeks to 18 weeks and was inspired by a similar move by the Navy, Air Force Secretary Deborah Lee James said on Tuesday during a video town hall filmed at Fort Meade, Maryland.

"I believe in what the Navy did, I think it was the right thing to do, and we're going to do the same thing," she said.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2...=todayinmil.sm
    18 weeks...that's 4+ months.

Long time...is this paid leave does anyone know?
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post

If it's an expansion of the current six week program, then it only stands to reason that it is.

What you're seeing here is the military trying to compete with the private sector. Which is fine, but I can think of better ways to do it than this.

Check out this link here:

http://taskandpurpose.com/the-cost-o...mpaign=culture

I'll start a new thread on it.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post

I believe it is...pretty much the same as convalescent leave, I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Considering we are now serving in a military where women are 100% equal to men. It would only be fair if the fathers were granted the same amount of time off.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
    Considering we are now serving in a military where women are 100% equal to men. It would only be fair if the fathers were granted the same amount of time off.
    I hope you're being sarcastic here.

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    The military isn't the the type of job that you want to have while raising children.

Despite all the talk and programs to extend maternity leave, it isn't a good job if seeing your kids Is a high priority.

It sucks even more if you get divorced and end up on the other side of the planet from your kids.

No one ever talks about that, but it happens a lot.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    The military isn't the the type of job that you want to have while raising children.

Despite all the talk and programs to extend maternity leave, it isn't a good job if seeing your kids Is a high priority.

It sucks even more if you get divorced and end up on the other side of the planet from your kids.

No one ever talks about that, but it happens a lot.
    I think the whole point of this is that they're changing, and it already has over the decades. Prior to Vietnam, it was pretty much was the way it is when you read Beetle Bailey on Sundays: the whole platoon lived in an open bay barracks building (i.e., the white houses or the half tin cans), while the Platoon Sergeant had his own room that was sectioned off.

People making careers in order to provide for their families... that's new. The military is changing to accommodate that, and it looks like they feel that there's more work left to be done.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    I think the whole point of this is that they're changing, and it already has over the decades. Prior to Vietnam, it was pretty much was the way it is when you read Beetle Bailey on Sundays: the whole platoon lived in an open bay barracks building (i.e., the white houses or the half tin cans), while the Platoon Sergeant had his own room that was sectioned off.

People making careers in order to provide for their families... that's new. The military is changing to accommodate that, and it looks like they feel that there's more work left to be done.
    The move toward career military personnel started post WWII with the Air Force pioneering much of it.

After the draft ended, then it had to gain momentum.

The expanded maternity leave might help with retention of females, but my point is from the perspective of a parent.

Being in the military still isn't the ideal job when you have kids. Maternity leave is a drop in the bucket compared to getting deployed.

Not much that can or should be done about that either. It is the nature of the job.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    There's no need for maternity leave (and there's also no need for paternity leave).

So the question is: when should a female military service member return to duty after giving birth? The answer is easy - She should return to duty as soon as the appropriate military doctor says that she is medically fit for duty. If the woman wants to spend some time with her little baby, then she can use her regular leave. If that isn't good enough, then she probably shouldn't be in the military.

Many will say that the mommy needs time to bond with her new baby. That is a precious thought; however, it is very misguided. There is simply no way for a person in the military (male or female) to be the primary caregiver of a child, especially when that person is on deployment. Since a woman on active duty can not possibly be the primary caregiver of her child, it is best to let the child bond with the person who will be the child's primary caregiver.
    As Libertarians, we seek a world of liberty; a world in which all individuals are sovereign over their own lives and no one is forced to sacrifice his or her values for the benefit of others

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
    That is what happens in most of the rest of the Western world