Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Air Force to Triple Maternity Leave to 18 Weeks, Top Civilian Says

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Listen, I get your point. If they're equal in battle and everything else, then time off for children should be equal.<snip>
    We are done here.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
    We are done here.
    The argument you're making is a spiteful one, not based on your actual beliefs. But you know that.

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I'm am arguing that fathers should be happy they get the 10 days that's given to them and quit bitching that the mother gets more time. I'll say it one last time, then I'm done with this...men and women are different. It's proven that breast feeding is much better than bottle feeding, even if the milk in the bottle is breast milk. In order for breast feeding to take place, the mother needs to be present. I know that the whole transgender thing is quite popular right now, but I don't think they've made it where daddy can lactate yet. Are you also the type who bitches when the married guy gets to leave to take his wife or kids to a doctors appointment while the single guy has to stay and pick up the slack? That's what I'm getting from you.
    If a man takes female hormones, like the kind in birth control pills, he can lactate.

You should try it sometime and report back to us.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    If a man takes female hormones, like the kind in birth control pills, he can lactate.

I'll give it a shot. We always end up throwing out milk because we don't drink it all before it goes bad, so this way we'd have it available when needed.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrike View Post
    Plus, her work centers would need to cover for a cumulative 90 weeks of her absences.
    ...and I think about, what if she is in a one-deep essential position...a commander, the base pediatrician, or something like that...I suppose if we survive with her going on a year long deployment, we can survive this, but it does seem like a long ass time to be off.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post

Probably not enough to feed a baby, I bet
    The Voice of Reason

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    ...and I think about, what if she is in a one-deep essential position...a commander, the base pediatrician, or something like that...I suppose if we survive with her going on a year long deployment, we can survive this, but it does seem like a long ass time to be off.
    Most of the work will be done by robots in a few years so it won't matter much.

Just think of how many personnel problems will vanish when robots take over the daily duties in most shops.

People who don't know how to fix robots can just lay around and collect their basic wage.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    ...and quit bitching that the mother gets more time.
    Your request is denied.

It's proven that breast feeding is much better than bottle feeding, even if the milk in the bottle is breast milk.
    For mothers who are unable to breastfeed or who decide not to, infant formula is a healthy alternative. Formula provides babies with the nutrients they need to grow and thrive. If breastfeeding is really that important to a woman, then she shouldn't be in the military.

In order for breast feeding to take place, the mother needs to be present.
    Not true. The mother can use a breast pump and store the breast milk.
    As Libertarians, we seek a world of liberty; a world in which all individuals are sovereign over their own lives and no one is forced to sacrifice his or her values for the benefit of others

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So what's your issue, then, with women getting more time off than men for a baby?
    There is no need for maternity leave. After giving birth, the female service member should return to duty as soon as she is medically fit for duty.
    As Libertarians, we seek a world of liberty; a world in which all individuals are sovereign over their own lives and no one is forced to sacrifice his or her values for the benefit of others

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    I imagine that she'd be replaced immediately. How long are officer tours in the regular Air Force? They're 18 months for the Navy.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males