View Poll Results: What would you do at the stoplight:

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always get in the left lane, so the cars turning right do not have to wait.

2 66.67%
  • Get in whichever line is shorter, the hell with cars turning right.

0 0%
  • Always get in the left lane unless there are 4-5 cars in it; then take the right lane.

1 33.33%
  • Always take the right lane just to piss off the people turning right

0 0%

Thread: The Stoplight

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

The Stoplight

"On my drive home everday, I get off the "highway" ...at the end of the exit it divides into two lanes before you get to a stoplight.

Both lanes may turn left, onto another two-lane road...

The right lane may also turn right. So...left lane, left only. Right lane, left or right. If you can picture that.

It's a rather long light...so several to many cars can often make a right on red during the redlight.

The "issue" if you haven't seen it...if a car in the front on the right hand land is turning left, he/she has to wait for the light...so none of the cars behind him who are turning right can take advantage of the right on red loophole...they have to wait on the light and the guy in front to turn left.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Often times, whenever I plan on turning right but someone who is going straight is stopped in front of me, I'll do one of two things:

1. If there's nothing in the way or if it's not a single family residential property... I'll drive right onto the curb and cross the corner, and be right back in the street. Or:

2. If there's no car in the left lane, I'll get in the left lane and go around. I'll cross over right in front of him.

Yep, I'm gonna get in trouble someday. But ALL right lanes at traffic lights should be right turn only.
    Last edited by Rusty Jones; 12-11-2015 at 05:23 AM.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    Often times, whenever I plan on turning right but someone who is goinf straight is stopped in front of me, I'll do one of two things:

1. If there's nothing in the way or if it's not a single family residential property... I'll drive right onto the curb and cross the corner, and be right back in the street. Or:

2. If there's no car in the left lane, I'll get in the left lane and go around. I'll cross over right in dront of him.

Yep, I'm gonna get in trouble someday. But ALL right lanes at traffic lights should be right turn only.
    I've actually seen quite a few people ticketed for doing Both of the above.. (2 more than 1 though)..

As for the poll, if i know i am going right, i just stay in the right lane. If i am going left, i Try to get over to the left lane.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I deal with this everyday. It describes the side gate on base. It's a fairly long light with little cross traffic. So what happens is all the cars that could turn right on red are stuck, backing traffic up onto the base. So annoying.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    I deal with this everyday. It describes the side gate on base. It's a fairly long light with little cross traffic. So what happens is all the cars that could turn right on red are stuck, backing traffic up onto the base. So annoying.
    Where this is a big problem here in Norfolk is for people coming out of base housing, the intersection of Diven St and Admiral Taussig Blvd.

It's VERY long red light, and a very short green light. The green light is so short, in fact, sometimes you're not getting out of there until the third green light.

If you're wanting to go straight or turn left, many people will just turn right and then make a turn at the end of the first median strip.

Many people have actually complained to the city about that light.

So how did the city react? By putting a no U-turn sign at the end of that median strip, just last month.

Fuck them!
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Where this is a big problem here in Norfolk is for people coming out of base housing, the intersection of Diven St and Admiral Taussig Blvd.

It's VERY long red light, and a very short green light. The green light is so short, in fact, sometimes you're not getting out of there until the third green light.

If you're wanting to go straight or turn left, many people will just turn right and then make a turn at the end of the first median strip.

Many people have actually complained to the city about that light.

So how did the city react? By putting a no U-turn sign at the end of that median strip, just last month.

Fuck them!
    Sounds like VA... I know when i was stationed on the USS American back in 93-96, there was part of Mil highway going on to VA beach blvd, where one of the exits had a 'stop sign at', but by the time you SAW the sign, you were already 3-4 car lengths past where the stop line is... They supposedly got a hell of a lot of tickets wrote for that. BUT after enough people complained what did they do... MOVE the sign further back into the trees!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

I'm sure I can think of 1,000 times this is a bridge too far....when left turns have to wait for oncoming traffic....cars going strIght should be in the right lane...or when there is a left turn green arrow...there are too many different traffic patterns to make your absolute statement
    The Voice of Reason