Thread: Confirmation bias

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries

Confirmation bias

I know. Wikipedia can be wrong, sometimes. And sometimes, Wikipedia can be right on the money. In this article, I can name a few people that actually could be classified as to having confirmation bias.

Can the you guys think of anyone that fits the bill? At home? At work? In your family? How about in here?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
    Theirs not to question why, theirs but to do and die, into the valley of spam, rode the Super Moderators

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I think virtually everyone with an opinion on politics or religion or <insert debate subject here> these days has confirmation bias. Even in the face of overwhelming contradiction, the bias finds a way to shine through. The shrinking moderate / undecided group may be evidence of this phenomenon.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Absolutely...confirmation bias is extremely widespread. Most people prefer to watch/read news that fits their views. I know people who strictly watch MSNBC and never Fox (or anything else) and then I know those who only watch Fox, but never MSNBC (or anything else).

It does exactly what efmb said. It reduces the number of moderates.

I'm sure you have all seen where a reporter will go on the street, list a set of policies, for instance, of Ted Cruz, but tell the person that it came from Obama or Hillary, and the person completely agrees with the policy. Same thing happens the other way too. It's proof that people don't care about policy, they care about party...

Also, many people are afraid of discussions like the ones we have. They only want to talk with people they agree with and avoid conversations with conflict.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    "Confirmation bias," you mean like... people shouting at the top of their lungs about the "liberal media?"
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    "Confirmation bias," you mean like... people shouting at the top of their lungs about the "liberal media?"
    The liberal media, or Fox...yes...that's exactly what it's talking about.

Go to CNN.com, click on "opinion". Find one remotely conservative column.
    Last edited by sandsjames; 12-10-2015 at 01:22 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    We all have confirmation bias...it is a natural tendency.

The key is not to look for it in everyone else, but to look for it in ourselves.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I wonder what the opposite of confirmation bias is. I'm sure most would call me a conservative, except for conservatives, but the only Fox News I watch is Shepard Smith. I think he does a pretty good job of calling out everyone. Mostly I watch local news, but the majority of the time, when I watched a lot of the 24 hour news stuff, was spent on CNN and MSNBC. What I found, I guess, is the opposite to confirmation bias. I found that I was so annoyed and opposed to what they were generally saying.

So instead of watching stuff I agreed with, and becoming more "right wing", I watched stuff I found myself disagreeing with, and that pushed me away from the left. Is that still confirmation bias?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    I wonder what the opposite of confirmation bias is. I'm sure most would call me a conservative, except for conservatives...
    Kind of like, if you're from Virginia, whether or not you're a "Southerner."
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males