Thread: NFL Injuries

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

NFL Injuries

It seems that there are many more injuries in the NFL than there used to be, especially hamstring and ACL/MCL. I'm curious as to what the cause is, and it's probably a combination of the following:

1. PEDs - Overtime, PEDs tear down the body, making the players much more prone to injury

2. Lack of flexibility - Players are much more muscular than they used to be. Gym time seems to be spent building muscle and speed, much more than in the past. Things like the NFL Combine focus on numbers that don't really relate to football skills, so the players are more worried about looking like body builders than being in "football playing condition".

3. Rules to protect head injuries - If players are trying to avoiding getting penalized for hitting a player high, the alternative is to hit them in the legs.

Thoughts?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    It seems that there are many more injuries in the NFL than there used to be, especially hamstring and ACL/MCL. I'm curious as to what the cause is, and it's probably a combination of the following:

1. PEDs - Overtime, PEDs tear down the body, making the players much more prone to injury

2. Lack of flexibility - Players are much more muscular than they used to be. Gym time seems to be spent building muscle and speed, much more than in the past. Things like the NFL Combine focus on numbers that don't really relate to football skills, so the players are more worried about looking like body builders than being in "football playing condition".

3. Rules to protect head injuries - If players are trying to avoiding getting penalized for hitting a player high, the alternative is to hit them in the legs.

Thoughts?
    Players are bigger faster, stronger than before..."better" training...more violent collisions...but, that doesn't necessarily strengthen things like tendons and ligaments. along with the muscles.

I recall Arnold Schwartzenegger was an advocate of calisthenics and things like dips as a way to strengthen ligaments, tendons and joints, in addition to building large muscles...but, I dunno if that's true...

There was something on the radio this morning talking about when the medicine gets to the point that players that get surgeries come out better than before...or maybe even get surgeries to be better even when not injuried..."athletic improvement surgery" or something...probably possible...will be interesting. Was thinking about that guy with the missing legs being allowed in the Olympics....god bless'em, but don't think it should be allowed...what happens when prosthetic legs are developed better than real legs?
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Thoughts?
    Could also have something to do with the playing surfaces. Most fields are now artificial. I've played soccer on an artificial field. My knees did not like it.
    Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop, TSgt, USAF
    Deputy Executive Assistant for the Assistant Deputy Chief
    HQ COBRA
    867-5309
    :ranger

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do taskers on their behalf.

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer!"- Arnold Schwarzenegger

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Season has not even started yet and two starting QBs are out for a long time....Romo and Bridgewater. Sounds like Teddy is unlikey to be back this season and Romo is out 6-10 weeks
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    Season has not even started yet and two starting QBs are out for a long time....Romo and Bridgewater. Sounds like Teddy is unlikey to be back this season and Romo is out 6-10 weeks
    The NFL has somehow made people believe that preseason is important and teams/coaches are playing their starters much more than they used to. I don't understand why they do it. I feel bad for Bridgewater. I'm always happy when Romo is out because I get tired of hearing how awesome Dallas is going to be by about week 2 of training camp.

I do find it funny that now the rookie gets to try to live up to all the hype from doing well in the preseason against second and third string defenses. Hopefully another 5-11 season.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    The NFL has somehow made people believe that preseason is important and teams/coaches are playing their starters much more than they used to. I don't understand why they do it. I feel bad for Bridgewater. I'm always happy when Romo is out because I get tired of hearing how awesome Dallas is going to be by about week 2 of training camp.
    I hate the preseason and never watch any of it...just hope my FF players survive.

Bridgewater got injured in non-contact practice drills though...

I do find it funny that now the rookie gets to try to live up to all the hype from doing well in the preseason against second and third string defenses. Hopefully another 5-11 season.
    Yeah, I'm sure everything is gonna get a lot faster come Week 1. I'm a 'skins fan, so anytime the Cowgirls lose, I'm good with it...though, as a human, I don't wish injury to anyone.
    Last edited by Bos Mutus; 08-30-2016 at 10:05 PM.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    I hate the preseason and never watch any of it...just hope my FF players survive.

Bridgewater got injured in non-contact practice drills though...
    We talked about this last year, I think...but it seems that these type of injuries are becoming much more common.

Yeah, I'm sure everything is gonna get a lot faster come Week 1. I'm a 'skins fan, so anytime the Cowgirls lose, I'm good with it...though, as a human, I don't wish injury to anyone.
    I don't wish injury, either...but to the Cowboys I also don't hope for speedy recoveries.