Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Marijuana

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Marijuana

I think marijuana has some legitimate medical benefits.

But, I think 90% of the people fighting for/participating in/selling, or otherwise involved in "medical marijuana" are more or less inventing or exaggerating bogus conditions to participate in what is essentially recreational use. They just wanna smoke pot, sell pot, etc.

I support recreational marijuana legalization...I think it's minimally dangerous, probably less than alcohol is, and that making it illegal is what makes it surrounded by criminal elements.

I've never actually tried marijuana myself...but if it was entirely legal, I'm sure I would.

What say you?
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I never bought into the gateway drug argument. I see nothing wrong with recreational use. The only thing in danger from someone smoking weed is the closest bag of Doritos or Cheetos. I agree that alcohol is far more harmful. At the same time, I am in favor of employers having random drug testing and making weed use a reason for termination. Then it becomes a choice on which is more important: using weed or your job. Just because weed is legal in your area should not give you an excuse to smoke up on the job or arrive impaired. It's OK to be fired for being drunk on the job - so it should be for weed.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by efmbman View Post
    I never bought into the gateway drug argument.
    I think it's only gateway in the sense that someone willing to do one illegal drug is probably more likely to try another one...but, I don't think it's gateway in the sense that doing marijuana makes you do other drugs.

I see nothing wrong with recreational use. The only thing in danger from someone smoking weed is the closest bag of Doritos or Cheetos. I agree that alcohol is far more harmful. At the same time, I am in favor of employers having random drug testing and making weed use a reason for termination. Then it becomes a choice on which is more important: using weed or your job. Just because weed is legal in your area should not give you an excuse to smoke up on the job or arrive impaired. It's OK to be fired for being drunk on the job - so it should be for weed.
    Yes, of course being impaired at work is a no-no, same as alcohol.

My understanding is that is part of the problem against legalization, is that there is no scientific test for marijuana impairment...only a test if it's in your system, which only shows that you have used it in the past 30 days or so, but not if you are currently impaired by it...I could be wrong, just some stuff I've heard.

I'm not so sure about an employer being able to say "no marijuana use" as a condition of employment if it were entirely legal...would be like an employer saying you can't drink on your off-work hours.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by efmbman View Post
    I never bought into the gateway drug argument. I see nothing wrong with recreational use. The only thing in danger from someone smoking weed is the closest bag of Doritos or Cheetos. I agree that alcohol is far more harmful. At the same time, I am in favor of employers having random drug testing and making weed use a reason for termination. Then it becomes a choice on which is more important: using weed or your job. Just because weed is legal in your area should not give you an excuse to smoke up on the job or arrive impaired. It's OK to be fired for being drunk on the job - so it should be for weed.
    I used to not believe in it either, until i had to go through a Captains mast with one of my Jr sailors getting done for Meth.. Dude said he only got into Meth cause of his use of weed. After that i looked into it, by checking with out base's DAPA administrator and by her stats, well over 70% of those who did get popped for stronger drugs mentioned they only did those drugs cause they also did weed..

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Yeah, I keep seeing all of these facebook posts and memes about cannabis curing every disease known to man, and everyone buys it. All we need is a meme that says it cures HIV/AIDS, and new cases will pop up everywhere. I'm sure that in some neighborhoods, there's a really hot chick no one will have sex with because she's infected. Tell the world that it weed cures HIV/AIDS, and these women will have all the men in their neighborhoods lined up outside of the house smoking a doobie.

There are actually two things that I ask before they legalize cannabis:

1. Do a comprehensive review of ALL illegal substances, and give ALL a consideration. I'm not of the libertarian mindset that all drugs should be legal. However... not all illegal drugs are equal, and some are weaker than others. Currently (at least to the best of my knowledge, and most other people's), cannabis is the least harmful of all illegal drugs. By legalizing it, another drug takes its place. Are people going to start fighting for THAT to be legal too? By the way, I think that substance is peyote. It has a high similar to cannabis, but also has some hallucination in there as well. Certain Native American tribes in the military are allowed to use it, as long as it's for ceremonial use. I could see peyote become the new weed, if cannabis is simply legalized without a comprehensive review of ALL illegal drugs.

2. Who is going to make billions of off cannabis once it's legalized at the federal level? Most likely the big tobacco companies. These brands of marijuana behind the convenience store counters are going to be subsidiaries of today's tobacco companies. What about the people who've been locked up on felony convictions for selling it? I'm sure they'll all get pardoned but, if it were up to me, the federal government would start up regional companies and then transfer ownership to the convicts of each of the respective regions after the federal government makes its money back.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Marijuana is not a gateway drug. I smoked a lot in prior to joining the military. I never felt the need to try anything harder. In addition, there were no withdrawals when I stopped. I've never known anyone, personally, who had either of those issues. I never met anyone who acted aggressively while high on pot. I never had a hangover on pot. Of course, just with any substance, if people are letting it take over their lives then it's an issue. But recreational use should be legal everywhere. There are still laws that relate to intoxication/impairment while working, driving, etc that should be followed.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    I used to not believe in it either, until i had to go through a Captains mast with one of my Jr sailors getting done for Meth.. Dude said he only got into Meth cause of his use of weed. After that i looked into it, by checking with out base's DAPA administrator and by her stats, well over 70% of those who did get popped for stronger drugs mentioned they only did those drugs cause they also did weed..
    I don't buy it at all. That's like saying that people who become alcoholics started by drinking just one beer. Is it true? Sure, but it's the person who becomes the alcoholic, not the alcohol that makes them drink more. Same thing for drugs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    I don't buy it at all. That's like saying that people who become alcoholics started by drinking just one beer. Is it true? Sure, but it's the person who becomes the alcoholic, not the alcohol that makes them drink more. Same thing for drugs.
    Yes and no. There are some drugs that will initiate an addictive reaction with one usage. Marijuana isn't one of those.

Soft drugs tend to not elicit that addictive response. One of the social aspects of the gateway drug theory is that the use of soft drugs begins a predictive cycle that leads someone to be more accepting of, tolerant and open to the use of harder drugs. For some people, this may be the case, for some it is not. I have heard of people who use marijuana consistently for decades and never progress to hard drugs, I have seen a friend or two who this was the case for. There is no 100% and people's character / social circles likely play a large part in the way this will turn out.

Too much medical evidence supports that long term marijuana use has adverse long term effect on the brain; specifically in adolescent / developing brains.

One of my big concerns in the legalization of marijuana is that marijuana (specifically high concentrations of THC) is the most common drug present in impaired drivers who are under the influence of drugs.

Driving while intoxicated -- already illegal.

People who I have heard expressing that driving under the influence of marijuana (THC) is no big deal: way too many.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    Yes and no. There are some drugs that will initiate an addictive reaction with one usage. Marijuana isn't one of those.
    Of course. I was talking about marijuana.

Soft drugs tend to not elicit that addictive response. One of the social aspects of the gateway drug theory is that the use of soft drugs begins a predictive cycle that leads someone to be more accepting of, tolerant and open to the use of harder drugs. For some people, this may be the case, for some it is not. I have heard of people who use marijuana consistently for decades and never progress to hard drugs, I have seen a friend or two who this was the case for. There is no 100% and people's character / social circles likely play a large part in the way this will turn out.
    Yup. Guns don't kill people. People kill people.

Too much medical evidence supports that long term marijuana use has adverse long term effect on the brain; specifically in adolescent / developing brains.
    Sure. No worse than anything else. Alcohol is also bad long term, specifically in the developing brains of adolescents.

One of my big concerns in the legalization of marijuana is that marijuana (specifically high concentrations of THC) is the most common drug present in impaired drivers who are under the influence of drugs.

Driving while intoxicated -- already illegal.
    Exactly. Nothing changes.

People who I have heard expressing that driving under the influence of marijuana (THC) is no big deal: way too many.
    Just as too many people claim they drive better after a few beers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Interesting discussion. First off, let me say I've never used marijuana, nor do I intend to use it, but I've been to parties where it was used. I used to think marijuana was dangerous but over the last 10 years I've changed my mind. I do believe within the next 10 years, most marijuana laws will be eased or repealed.

Medical marijuana, IMO, does have some benefits but it is not a panacea for all conditions. I favor multiple government funded studies to determine its effectiveness on different types of diseases/ailments, at what levels the THC will impair someone (think alcohol/weight charts), and what the long-term effect will be.

Until the studies are concluded, I favor reclassifying marijuana from a Schedule I drug to a Schedule V drug. Doctors will be able to write a prescription for medical marijuana use that can be filled at any local pharmacy (provided the pharmacy is willing to include marijuana in its inventory) or marijuana dispensary. The DEA can require pharmacies to provide them monthly with data indicating which doctors prescribe marijuana and how many prescriptions were written/filled (no patient information is to be included in this data to the DEA)to ensure doctors aren't abusing or over-prescribing.

When the studies are completed and if they show marijuana isn't as dangerous as some believe, then make marijuana an over-the-counter drug and treat it the same way as alcohol. Require marijuana be sold only to those who are 21 or older. Also, the DEA can limit the total amount of THC in the product. This will allow a standardization throughout the industry much like what is done in the liquor business. States will make the determination and write/change their laws determining the levels of THC in the system for someone to be considered under the influence as well as the laws concerning the types of businesses that can sell marijuana.

I think some people will agree with me and some won't, so please, let's start talking about where we agree and where we disagree and see if we can reach a compromise.